The Student Room Group

Edexcel paper 2 chem unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yusuf121
For the activation energy question I got around -7000 as my gradient and therefore got +53.97kj for my activation energy. I also got 10.11g for the mass of nitrogen using the pv=nRT. A lot of my friends got similar answers!

The general consensus here seems to be near 84 for Ea and 21.97 for nitrogen gas
Original post by Yusuf121
For the activation energy question I got around -7000 as my gradient and therefore got +53.97kj for my activation energy. I also got 10.11g for the mass of nitrogen using the pv=nRT. A lot of my friends got similar answers!

I got +84.5 (something like that)
Reply 62
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Organic synthesis- conc no3, conc h2so4 goes to nitrobenzene then add tin and conc hcl to phenylamine then add ethanoyl chloride ( with no halogen carrier) to desired product
Ea was 84000 nearabouts joules, and divide for kj
mass of nitrogen was 21.97
Orders were x-1 y-2 z-0 k was 241.11
Diff proton nmr, one had 5 one had 4 intensity was like 3 to 2 to 2 to 1 and 1 to 2 to 2 to 2 to 1
find chemical shifts from data booklet and state splitting patterns
24 DNPH derivates, orange crystalline forms, recrystallise ppt, find mp using capillary tube method- compare with database of known bradys reagent derivatives
catalyst was adsrorbption, bond weakening then desrorption- explain those terms
graphie and graphene was single layer of hexagons, bond angle 120 and poor electrical conductivity was answer
reforming equation was just make cyclic and balance with hydrogen
2NO+2CO---2co2 +N2 was an answer
conc of bromine was 0.255
paracetomal percent was 93.6

Haha unlike last time, I'm in full agreement with all of these mate! Although the graphite/graphene ones took a bit of thinking outside the box
Reply 63
Original post by Florent venhari
I got +84.5 (something like that)

Same. They usually give a range for finding the activation energy questions, you will 100% get the marks if your value was between about +82 to +87 kJ per mole
Reply 64
I think if you get a ton of nitrogen as your answer to a question asking how much are in car tyres, you may need to think about it that's realistic lol
Original post by mohsam
Haha unlike last time, I'm in full agreement with all of these mate! Although the graphite/graphene ones took a bit of thinking outside the box

Yeah that was a little cheeky, wording threw me off initially
Original post by mohsam
I think if you get a ton of nitrogen as your answer to a question asking how much are in car tyres, you may need to think about it that's realistic lol

Nah havent you heard about the billions of tonnes of extra nitrogen we pump into our car tyres every year, lucrative business that
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Florent venhari
Went over the paper with my teacher! This mark scheme is looking good too! Ngl, but think I got FULL marks! Hope paper 3 is as easy. 🙌

Do hydrogens in benzene have just one chemical environment in proton nmr? How many chemical environments were there for phenylethanone and phenylethanal?
Organic synthesis- conc no3, conc h2so4 goes to nitrobenzene then add tin and conc hcl

You see I have a slight problem with that, when you reduce nitrobenzene you actually get a protonated phenylamine instead of a normal phenylamine therefore you have to reflux it with naoh. The problem was they didnt give naoh as a reagent...did anyone else get stumped by this?

Or i may be overthinking this...its been a long day
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh yeah i dont even think i put it thinking back.
Pretty certain on 84000, few of my friends got the same

It said write it in kJ/mol therefore it would be 84 surely
Reply 70
Original post by AmyBalint

Yeah your answer should be between +82 and +87, make sure you had the sign. It wanted the gradient value, which if I remember correctly was like -10,000?
Reply 71
Original post by AmyBalint

think he meant in j per mol which then needed to become kj per mol
Reply 72
Original post by AMA7777
think he meant in j per mol which then needed to become kj per mol

Average of 75% on track for an A???
Think I did pretty well, I left the synthesis route question because I didn't even know how to do that.
Original post by xxVENUSx
Think I did pretty well, I left the synthesis route question because I didn't even know how to do that.

Form in to nitrobenzene, then reduce to phenylamine, then react with ethanoyl chloride. Simples!
Reply 75
What did you all write for the proton NMR of phenylethanone and phenylethanal?
for the organic symthesis, for my last step i used ethanoic acid instead of ethanoyl chloride to get a leaving group of water. dyou think thats ok?
Organic synthesis- conc no3, conc h2so4 goes to nitrobenzene then add tin and conc hcl to phenylamine then add ethanoyl chloride ( with no halogen carrier) to desired product
Ea was 84000 nearabouts joules, and divide for kj
mass of nitrogen was 21.97
Orders were x-1 y-2 z-0 k was 241.11
Diff proton nmr, one had 5 one had 4 intensity was like 3 to 2 to 2 to 1 and 1 to 2 to 2 to 2 to 1
find chemical shifts from data booklet and state splitting patterns
24 DNPH derivates, orange crystalline forms, recrystallise ppt, find mp using capillary tube method- compare with database of known bradys reagent derivatives
catalyst was adsrorbption, bond weakening then desrorption- explain those terms
graphie and graphene was single layer of hexagons, bond angle 120 and poor electrical conductivity was answer
reforming equation was just make cyclic and balance with hydrogen
2NO+2CO---2co2 +N2 was an answer
conc of bromine was 0.255
paracetomal percent was 93.6
Original post by mailboxhotbox
for the organic symthesis, for my last step i used ethanoic acid instead of ethanoyl chloride to get a leaving group of water. dyou think thats ok?

Its fine chemistry wise
practically- lower yield and less efficient
but you will get full marks provided rest was ok
Reply 78
For the question asking about the conversion of the ketone into the alcohol...i thought it was a primary alcohol for some reason and so instead of just using LiAlH4 in dry ether as a reducing agent, I said to add I2 and NaOH to the ketone product which would form a carboxylic acid and then reduce that using LiAlH4. Would that still get me the marks?
I love you. best of luck for you're next exams brother
Its fine chemistry wise
practically- lower yield and less efficient
but you will get full marks provided rest was ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending