The Student Room Group

My first holiday alone - advice?

I'm going on holiday in about 3 weeks. This is my first holiday on my own. I've never been to an airport on my own before - I haven't been to one in about 5 years.

Is there any advice for what to do at the airport? Anything I should know to make it a bit easier with check in and baggage etc.? I'm already going to get there 3 hours before my flight.
Make sure your hand luggage meets the regulations (not liquids over 100 ml, all in a plastic bag etc). It'll make it so much easier to get through security. Don't buy anything until you're through security (liquids wise) as they'll get confiscated if they're over 100ml. Also consider wearing comfy clothes without too many metal buttons etc not only for comfort on the flight but to minimise your chances of setting off the metal detector. Weigh your suitcase beforehand to check it isn't over the limit, try and leave space for any souvenirs. Make sure you get your foreign currency before you go to the airport, exchange rates are nuts enough at the moment without the extra rates airports slam on you! Check in online before you get to the airport, again this saves time. Oh and take everything I've said with a pinch of salt because I'm an extremely nervous traveller and the daughter of an airport perfectionis! Most of all, have a great time!
Original post by Bubs051213
Make sure your hand luggage meets the regulations (not liquids over 100 ml, all in a plastic bag etc). It'll make it so much easier to get through security. Don't buy anything until you're through security (liquids wise) as they'll get confiscated if they're over 100ml. Also consider wearing comfy clothes without too many metal buttons etc not only for comfort on the flight but to minimise your chances of setting off the metal detector. Weigh your suitcase beforehand to check it isn't over the limit, try and leave space for any souvenirs. Make sure you get your foreign currency before you go to the airport, exchange rates are nuts enough at the moment without the extra rates airports slam on you! Check in online before you get to the airport, again this saves time. Oh and take everything I've said with a pinch of salt because I'm an extremely nervous traveller and the daughter of an airport perfectionis! Most of all, have a great time!

Thanks so much! Do I need to print off my boarding pass or anything like that?
If you check in online then you can print them. I'm actually not 100%, my mind is pulling up a blank but I'd say check on your airlines website! I'd be tempted to say yes?
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Thanks so much! Do I need to print off my boarding pass or anything like that?

If you can't access it on your phone, then yes (for example, I can access my boarding passes on my phone through the ryanair app when I fly home with them)
Original post by Airmed
If you can't access it on your phone, then yes (for example, I can access my boarding passes on my phone through the ryanair app when I fly home with them)

Brilliant - I'll check if my airline has an app. This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. A boarding pass and a plane ticket are the same thing, aren't they?
Reply 6
Brilliant - I'll check if my airline has an app. This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. A boarding pass and a plane ticket are the same thing, aren't they?

Yup. It will have all the info needed!
Original post by Airmed
Yup. It will have all the info needed!

So I'm at the airport. I've checked in online, I've printed out my boarding pass as well as have it available on my phone (just in case it doesn't load). I've got my suitcase and carry-on bag with me. Where do I go? What do I do? Can you tell me the order of things I have to do? Sorry if it seems a bit too detailed, but I'm nervous about missing something out!

I'm assuming I go to put my bags away, then through security, then to the gate where I will board?
You find your airlines bag check where you get rid of your suitcase. This is normally pretty much right after you go into the Terminal (make sure you get the right terminal!). Then you head through security. There's normally a bunch of shopping and seating. You wait there until the gate for your flight is announced and then go and wait by your gate. Everything will be well signposted and ask if you're not too certain!
Reply 9
So I'm at the airport. I've checked in online, I've printed out my boarding pass as well as have it available on my phone (just in case it doesn't load). I've got my suitcase and carry-on bag with me. Where do I go? What do I do? Can you tell me the order of things I have to do? Sorry if it seems a bit too detailed, but I'm nervous about missing something out!

I'm assuming I go to put my bags away, then through security, then to the gate where I will board?

Different airlines will have different check-in areas. So you go find your airliner's check in place. There you will give up your hold luggage. Then you make your way to security and go through that, and then you are in lovely duty free area where you just wait until your flight's gate number is announced. Once that is announced, you can then go to that gate. The place will be ridiculously signposted, so you can't lose your way at all!
Thank you guys so much! I'm very worried about getting lost or missing some important information. You have made me much more assured now.

First thing once you're airside - straight to the bar :lol:

Seriously, if you're getting there 3 hours ahead then you'll probably have loads of time. Do some shopping, have something to eat...pass the time, basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending