The Student Room Group

Law Students: Presentation Help Please!

I have to do a presentation on an aspect of law. I have virtually no legal knowledge, other than the main areas of law - not being a law student, I could not go in to much depth!

I am however interested in studying law - and I need to give a presentation on something law related to 'demonstrate my interest in the subject' (Of course, I've done background reading but it's not the same as something like English where I might have a much greater knowledge)

So, does anyone have any really accessible areas/aspects of law I could do - maybe a case for example? Thanks.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by TomHibbs12
I have to do a presentation on an aspect of law. I have virtually no legal knowledge, other than the main areas of law - not being a law student, I could not go in to much depth!

I am however interested in studying law - and I need to give a presentation on something law related to 'demonstrate my interest in the subject' (Of course, I've done background reading but it's not the same as something like English where I might have a much greater knowledge)

So, does anyone have any really accessible areas/aspects of law I could do - maybe a case for example? Thanks.

Hi :tongue:,

I just finished A Level law so I may be able to help you.

If I was you I'd look at an offence called gross negligent manslaughter, i.e. reckless manslaughter.

To be liable for an offence,

You must have a duty to care (duty to act)
You must fall below (breach) what the average person would do, i.e. the reasonable man.
You must then cause the death.
Your breach must have caused a risk of death
Your omission must have been gross.

This means If you light a fag and leave it burning and you fall asleep and people die your liable for their death through a charge of gross neigent manslaughter.

Type in peanut curry death on google, it's a good read and a modern day example.

Just ask If you need help

If you really want to impress who is on the receiving end - maybe think of what is wrong with the current law on gross negligent manslaughter.

Is it based on fault?
Why is the law so objective?

One biggest argument that always fails in court is something called Ex Turpi Causa.

This means in tort law (i.e. claims, money etc) people who break the law can't bring a claim.

But in criminal law if the person who dies is involved on crime a duty of care still exists, is this good?
Reply 4
Original post by mrbr2671999
If you really want to impress who is on the receiving end - maybe think of what is wrong with the current law on gross negligent manslaughter.

Is it based on fault?
Why is the law so objective?

One biggest argument that always fails in court is something called Ex Turpi Causa.

This means in tort law (i.e. claims, money etc) people who break the law can't bring a claim.

But in criminal law if the person who dies is involved on crime a duty of care still exists, is this good?

Thankyou so much, really accessible area of law with an interesting topic.

What is the presentation for?

What is the brief i.e what are your instructions?

Quick Reply

Latest