The Student Room Group

Transferring college - can I and what are the implications?

Hi,
I've recently been having a multitude of issues with my college, namely, one teacher acting incredibly unprofessionally towards myself and a few other students. She mishandled bullying towards us in the classroom (mentioning us by name to the bullies after we told her about our concerns), treats us differently/more harshly, and has even began making snide comments to us in the classroom (while handing out sheets: "here's some external reading for those who don't want to be here because they hate me", calling me pathetic/melodramatic for being off sick). This has culminated in my attendance plummeting to 85% ish, and has resulted in me being diagnosed with a stress-related stomach issue.
As such, I want to move colleges. I do love my college otherwise, but I don't want to have to give up geography.
I am a strong student, having achieved 5 A*s, 5 As, and 1 B at GCSE level. I now take history, politics, economics, and geography, with the hopes of dropping history in my second year and taking up an EPQ.
I realise moving colleges will be difficult for a multitude of reasons (different spec, learning in different orders, new people, etc), but I've reached the end of my tether and it's now affecting my physical health. There are no other geog teachers at the college. I'd even be willing to just do geog externally and stay at college otherwise.
I would just like to know my options before I make any decision.
Original post by Mo_Barker
Hi,
I've recently been having a multitude of issues with my college, namely, one teacher acting incredibly unprofessionally towards myself and a few other students. She mishandled bullying towards us in the classroom (mentioning us by name to the bullies after we told her about our concerns), treats us differently/more harshly, and has even began making snide comments to us in the classroom (while handing out sheets: "here's some external reading for those who don't want to be here because they hate me", calling me pathetic/melodramatic for being off sick). This has culminated in my attendance plummeting to 85% ish, and has resulted in me being diagnosed with a stress-related stomach issue.
As such, I want to move colleges. I do love my college otherwise, but I don't want to have to give up geography.
I am a strong student, having achieved 5 A*s, 5 As, and 1 B at GCSE level. I now take history, politics, economics, and geography, with the hopes of dropping history in my second year and taking up an EPQ.
I realise moving colleges will be difficult for a multitude of reasons (different spec, learning in different orders, new people, etc), but I've reached the end of my tether and it's now affecting my physical health. There are no other geog teachers at the college. I'd even be willing to just do geog externally and stay at college otherwise.
I would just like to know my options before I make any decision.

would your college allow you to study geography externally? it seems like that is your best option
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
would your college allow you to study geography externally? it seems like that is your best option

I'm not really sure what that entails. I did ask a month or so ago to just get the work and not attend classes, but they refused to let me do this on the grounds that teaching hours are "invaluable". Yeah, when you're leaving each lesson hating your fav subject more and more...

My issue is that I don't have money, so a tutor or private college is completely off the table.
Original post by Mo_Barker
I'm not really sure what that entails. I did ask a month or so ago to just get the work and not attend classes, but they refused to let me do this on the grounds that teaching hours are "invaluable". Yeah, when you're leaving each lesson hating your fav subject more and more...

My issue is that I don't have money, so a tutor or private college is completely off the table.

the issue with changing college is that it would be difficult to find somewhere that would let you in year 13. it's difficult but not impossible to teach yourself a subject you would just have to fund the cash to pay for your exam.

Quick Reply

Latest