The Student Room Group

Doctor's note

Sup guys.

I'm planning on getting a note because I've been seriously cloud headed from a horrible cold and have an exam tomorrow!

But does anyone know what a doctor's note actually does?? Never heard of anyone doing it before is all. Do they give you extra marks or given you an automatic C if you flunk it or what?
A doctor's note provides you with a fallback if you do very badly in your exam - you can use it to appeal to the exam board/your uni, etc. If you miss the exam, it can probably get you about 10%? But I don't know if a cold is enough to do anything for you anyway unless it was really bad.
Original post by Fizzabel
Sup guys.

I'm planning on getting a note because I've been seriously cloud headed from a horrible cold and have an exam tomorrow!

But does anyone know what a doctor's note actually does?? Never heard of anyone doing it before is all. Do they give you extra marks or given you an automatic C if you flunk it or what?

You'd be put in for special circumstances but you aren't guaranteed anything. Obviously I don't know how bad it has been for you so sorry if it's worse than it is, but it currently sounds like nothing too serious that would impair your ability to do exams. You'd need to get the note from your doctor which clearly explains your symptoms and any effects it has had on you. Then, speak to your exams office who can put it through for you.
Original post by Fizzabel
Sup guys.

You can be given Special Consideration, but it often isn't much. At GCSE (I think same applies to A-levels), you'd get 2% more marks - possibly 3%. They could give up to 5% but that's usually only reserved for really serious stuff like a terminal illness, serious domestic incident or death of a family member just before the exam.
I don't think a doctor's note will help you with a cold unless you are bed bound and can't move. If I were you, I would ask your school for extra time because you can get 15-25% extra time for the exam with a note and you can also use a laptop if it helps.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I don't think a doctor's note will help you with a cold unless you are bed bound and can't move. If I were you, I would ask your school for extra time because you can get 15-25% extra time for the exam with a note and you can also use a laptop if it helps.

Pretty sure you can't get extra time the day before exams. Has to be submitted to the exam board weeks in advance.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Pretty sure you can't get extra time the day before exams. Has to be submitted to the exam board weeks in advance.

I don't think so. If the rules changed then maybe but last year, I had a radial wrist fracture (it was my writing hand) so the exam coordinator allowed me to get 25% extra time i.e. 15 minutes for a 1 hour exam and I was given the option of scribe or laptop (I chose the later because I write a lot and the scribe couldn't handle my writing).
Reply 7
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

You don't get extra time or a laptop for having a cold.
Original post by Compost
You don't get extra time or a laptop for having a cold.

Thats what I was thinking too.... but maybe if he had like a severe cold and couldnt even focus properly maybe they would give him some extra time.

Quick Reply

Latest