The Student Room Group

Medicine & A Level Choices

Hi, I hope someone is able to answer my question
I have my entire heart set on being a doctor, and it's all I've really ever wanted - the thing is I'm AWFUL at maths (I'm predicted a U at GCSE but I've had tutoring for a while and I'll be able to get a 7 in a year or so for resits it's improving a lot). My subjects for A Level were the usual Biology/Chemistry but I opted for English Lit instead of a maths based subject- purely because I know I have a good chance of getting the top grades, whereas I never would with maths/physics.
I was quite rudely told at Sixth form induction day that I would never have a chance of being a doctor and I'd be better off considering nursing or another option, even if I get my GCSE grades next year when I have access to more tutoring and a better teacher! Is this true?? Do I even have a chance? Because I don't want to work my socks off for the next two years to not be able to achieve my dream.
Thank you
No, it's not true, and yes, you can get into medicine with less than 3 science A-levels. While poor GCSE grades will likely make it harder, it won't outright prevent you, provided you pass your maths GCSE.

There's also always the option of graduate entry medicine if you get accepted to a biomedical science course instead of one of your 4 medicine options (or whatever else you put as your 5th choice). That said, if you would like to work with patients in a medical field, there are a lot of allied health professions you could consider, including nursing (some others being operating department practice, physiotherapy, nutrition and dietetics, and a closer one to being a doctor, physician associate/assistant)/

Having an essay based subject at A-level is not a bad options either since there are a number of medicine courses where you'll be writing a fair bit; for example, the Cambridge course. A friend of my sisters actually said she had to teach all her colleagues there how to actually write essays, since they all did triple/quad science A-levels and she did IB and so had to have essay subjects :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by chloerhia
I have my entire heart set on being a doctor, and it's all I've really ever wanted - the thing is I'm AWFUL at maths (I'm predicted a U at GCSE but I've had tutoring for a while and I'll be able to get a 7 in a year or so for resits it's improving a lot). My subjects for A Level were the usual Biology/Chemistry but I opted for English Lit instead of a maths based subject- purely because I know I have a good chance of getting the top grades, whereas I never would with maths/physics.
I was quite rudely told at Sixth form induction day that I would never have a chance of being a doctor and I'd be better off considering nursing or another option, even if I get my GCSE grades next year when I have access to more tutoring and a better teacher! Is this true?? Do I even have a chance? Because I don't want to work my socks off for the next two years to not be able to achieve my dream.
Thank you

You can definitely make it! If your GCSE grades won't be good, that will make it harder to get into Medicine so try to get the best grades that you can. As far as A-Levels, your choices are fine, you don't need Maths as along as you have Biology and Chemistry.
Thank you

Your A level choices are absolutely fine.

Realistically though, you will need at least a B for GCSE maths. Some medical schools will accept a C, but that would restrict your options quite significantly.

Your dream definitely isn't over, carry on working your socks off, don't listen to rude people, and aim for the best GCSE grades you can get. Once you've got your results, you can re-assess and think about what to do next.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Your A level choices are absolutely fine.

Realistically though, you will need at least a B for GCSE maths. Some medical schools will accept a C, but that would restrict your options quite significantly.

Your dream definitely isn't over, carry on working your socks off, don't listen to rude people, and aim for the best GCSE grades you can get. Once you've got your results, you can re-assess and think about what to do next.

Sorry I forgot to tag you in bro.
Reply 5
Hey :-) Bio, chem and lit A level are absolutely fine. Though as others said, a strong GCSE maths is pretty vital.

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Original post by S2M
Sorry I forgot to tag you in bro.

Don't worry mate, I've been finding my own way around the Medicine forum for the past ~11 years :wink: :p:
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
Don't worry mate, I've been finding my own way around the Medicine forum for the past ~11 years :wink: :p:

Haha, you make me feel so young. :smile:
Thank you

Hi there!

Maths isn't a requirement at medical school - some encourage Maths/Physics subjects, but most state that Chemistry and Biology are required, plus a third academic A-Level, so don't worry! Also - some schools (like Brighton and Sussex) actively encourage students to take arts/humanities subjects, so this can work in your favour!

You can see which medical schools require which A-Level subjects on our page, What A-Levels do I need to be a Doctor?

Hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending