The Student Room Group

Which Schoo is better? university of Birmingham or Manchester or Bristol?

I've received offers from those three different schools, and my major is environmental engineering.
As an international student from Asia, which school should I choose? and which city is better to stay? thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by Frank Tsui
I've received offers from those three different schools, and my major is environmental engineering.
As an international student from Asia, which school should I choose? and which city is better to stay? thank you so much!

Presumably this is for a postgrad MSc?

All 3 are cities, although Bristol is the smallest of the 3. You will get a good city experience at them all.

As to the courses, pick the one that has the content you are most interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Presumably this is for a postgrad MSc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes. MSc
Reply 3
yes. MSc

So you are only there for a year. Picking the course that suits you is therefore important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So you are only there for a year. Picking the course that suits you is therefore important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so did you mean that schools are not matters? are those three schools are at the same level in the uk?
Bristol > Manchester > Birmingham
Reply 6
so did you mean that schools are not matters? are those three schools are at the same level in the uk?

Yes.

The only difference may be slight reputational differences as viewed in your home country. But you would know more about that than us...

For engineering employers in the UK it makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yes.

The only difference may be slight reputational differences as viewed in your home country. But you would know more about that than us...

For engineering employers in the UK it makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see! thank you so much for your help! ;-)
Reply 8
I see! thank you so much for your help! ;-)

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Aerospengie
Bristol > Manchester > Birmingham

Are you an expert in environmental engineering at masters level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you an expert in environmental engineering at masters level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just my own biased opinions
source: my arse
Reply 11

Good sourcing. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

seriously?? I think Bristol is a good place too😂 but I wanna stay in a bigger city so I just don't know which to choose😑
So from what I can tell, only Birmingham and Bristol offer it as an MSc, both of which are focused on water management but Birmingham's course is a bit broader.

Manchester only offers environmental engineering as an MPhil which is a research degree, essentially a PhD precursor, but you have a much wider selection of topics.
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
So from what I can tell, only Birmingham and Bristol offer it as an MSc, both of which are focused on water management but Birmingham's course is a bit broader.

Manchester only offers environmental engineering as an MPhil which is a research degree, essentially a PhD precursor, but you have a much wider selection of topics.

Thank you for your advice😊

Quick Reply

Latest