The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths - 20th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dx31
Would the 2017 paper possibly be harder than the 2016? I mean 58% for an A, can you really go much lower than that

My gut tells me it'll be easier than last years, as the grade boundary was at an all time low. Same thing happened with my IGCSE last year; the 2015 one was the most difficult one yet, but the 2016 one was easy.
Reply 61
Original post by sivthasan
What makes you think you're gonna fail - is there anything you don't specifically understand?

I'm fine with everything apart from kinematics. It just really confuses me
Reply 62
Original post by Lemur14
I felt like this yesterday. I did a few questions then attempted a past paper. The grade wasn't good, but the mark was a great improvement and I'm now feeling a lot more positive.
Past papers are definitely your friend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this. I am going to start doing some papers from tomorrow.

I have already done 2016 and 2015 as a mock, so I will just do 3 or 4 more and hope for the best.
Well considering we've had a grand total of 5 lessons since we started in February, and self-teaching is going wonderfully horrific, I think I'm pretty much set to fail.
Anyone have any opinion on the difficulty of some of the slightly older papers?
I've done the 2009 paper recently, and compared to the later papers, the grade boundaries are extremely high!
Not sure if this is down to the difficulty of the papers or the capability of the candidates?
Hoping it's the candidates as my scores have been decent on these papers, but the grade less so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 91/100 on a mock paper today. Should be all set for an A in the exam
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
At gcse add maths, u have to assume that the acceleration is constant. You will never get a question where the acceleration is changing.

You can however get varied acceleration but they will mention it and gove u the formula for it.

I've seen questions with varied acceleration and where you have to differentiate or integrate. The easiest way to answer those questions imo is to model it on a graph and see what you have to work out. Then you know exactly what you need to do
Reply 67
Original post by sivthasan
I'll scan it for you tomorrow.

do you think you could send me the 2016 mark scheme as well??
Original post by skykm
do you think you could send me the 2016 mark scheme as well??

Sorry, I couldn't find it; I only have my answer booklet for it, with corrections on it.
Reply 69
Say if you got the equation of the line as y=1/6x +5/6

Then could you leave it as that or would you have to give it in a form that has no fractions eg 6y=x+5
Original post by dx31

Then could you leave it as that or would you have to give it in a form that has no fractions eg 6y=x+5

I usually leave my answer in the form ax+by+c=0 but leaving your answer like that should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dx31

Unless it tells you to express it in a specific form, you can leave it in fraction form. It's recommended to turn it into whole numbers, so it looks better and it's easier to work with for the rest of the question.
Hey all,

just did the 2007 paper and got 85, should I be okay for tomorrow?
In 2007, 70 was an A, so you're looking like you're on track for an A tomorrow!

Original post by mysticmagic2000
Hey all,

just did the 2007 paper and got 85, should I be okay for tomorrow?
Original post by SCandium
In 2007, 70 was an A, so you're looking like you're on track for an A tomorrow!

Thanks - tbf I found the more recents one harder and got a B so fingers crossed for a good paper!
Thanks - tbf I found the more recents one harder and got a B so fingers crossed for a good paper!

I'm guessing that was last year's one. I did well but I didn't finish the last question cos I ran out of time. Let's hope this one is better.
What time is the exam?

Having done some of the older ones I think generally the grade boundaries reflect that people found them easier.
Personally, I didn't particularly find it that way, but I think that's because I started with the older ones and are now doing the more recent ones now that I'm more capable of the actual maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JammieDodger27
What time is the exam?

13:30, ends at 15:30
Original post by JammieDodger27
What time is the exam?

Depends on your school. It will definitely start between 1pm and 2pm, and it lasts for 2 hours.
My school starts at 1, although many will start at 1:30, or even 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply