The Student Room Group

How can two completely opposite cultures ever get along?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sarahsez
How many Muslim girls would be allowed to bring home a non Muslim guy?

Erm your OP was about culture. So why are you bringing religion into it?
Unfortunately the younger generation of British Muslim are even more extreme so you are wrong there.

For those interested in the details, the percentage of Muslims who want homosexuality to be illegal:
50% of Muslims 55+.
54% of Muslims 45-54.
55% of Muslims 35-44.
65% of Muslims 25-34.
71% of Muslims 16-24.

37% of 16 to 24-year-olds said they would prefer sharia law rather than British law, against 17% of those over 55.

A third(36% to be exact) of 16 to 24-year-olds believed that those converting to another religion should be executed, while less than a fifth of those over 55 believed the same.

From channel 4 poll and other reliable sources e.g. Bbc, telegraph and guardian .

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jan/29/thinktanks.religion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6309983.stm

What do you have to say about that then?

Reliable 10 years ago.

Just because someone says something in a poll doesn't make it a fact, nor does it necessarily reflect reality.
Reply 22
Lol this went from talking about "culture" to taking a dig at Islam real quick.
Reply 23
Original post by HAnwar
Erm your OP was about culture. So why are you bringing religion into it?

Islam is way of life therefore is also a culture.
Reply 24
Original post by So Instinct
Reliable 10 years ago.

Just because someone says something in a poll doesn't make it a fact, nor does it necessarily reflect reality.

Channel 4 poll was conducted in 2016

Try again.
Reply 25
Islam is way of life therefore is also a culture.

Lol no it isn't it's a religion. Can't believe I'm having to explain this...
Channel 4 poll was conducted in 2016

Try again.

And the other two were 2007.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
And the other two were 2007.

71 percent of 16-24 years old British Muslims in 2016 believe homosexuality should be made illegal.
They can get along. But extremist, hate preachers, right wing bigots and people like you do a good job of trying to prevent it as much as possible.
Child marriages FTW

@Reality Check

You see what I was talking about earlier.
71 percent of 16-24 years old British Muslims in 2016 believe homosexuality should be made illegal.

Compare it to the figure of all 16-24 year olds and we can critically​ analyse something. Until then we have no moral relativity.
I'm not a muslim, but I have muslim friends. Come down to the pub one day and we'll show you how we can not kill each other or insult each other. One time, somebody ''came out'' about their biological/psychological gender mismatch, and their muslim friend started using the other set of pronouns for them without even blowing up.

People who can communicate can generally find some kind of common ground. Even if we don't agree with somebody on everything, making it work is just a necessary part of life. The only people who ''hate Muslims'' are those who don't live with them.

It's no coincidence that many of the areas of the UK which polls suggest are most xenophobic are also the areas with the lowest migrant populations (transient or otherwise)
The West believes in gay rights. Certain other cultures don't.

It's popular to drink alcohol in western culture and have a good time.

A woman is free to wear what she wants as long as she's not naked.

Here, you are free to leave or join any religion you want.

I could go on really.

Gay rights will continue to be the one topic that shows how truly divided we are. No amount of window dressing will veil how divided for example an Islington liberal is on gay rights compared to a Hackney evangelical.
Reply 33
Original post by sek510i
I'm not a muslim, but I have muslim friends. Come down to the pub one day and we'll show you how we can not kill each other or insult each other. One time, somebody ''came out'' about their biological/psychological gender mismatch, and their muslim friend started using the other set of pronouns for them without even blowing up.

People who can communicate can generally find some kind of common ground. Even if we don't agree with somebody on everything, making it work is just a necessary part of life. The only people who ''hate Muslims'' are those who don't live with them.

It's no coincidence that many of the areas of the UK which polls suggest are most xenophobic are also the areas with the lowest migrant populations (transient or otherwise)

That's all good but I have many Muslim friends that wouldn't dare going to the pub in fear of if somebody sees them even if they don't drink alcohol.
That's all good but I have many Muslim friends that wouldn't dare going to the pub in fear of if somebody sees them even if they don't drink alcohol.

That's more awkward, but I'm sure that you've got some common ground. If you're calling them friends, you probably know what that common ground is :smile:

People don't have to agree with each other, but we can still live side by side and get on with each other. It just takes some extra effort sometimes.
Clearly OP had an agenda. No point having a discussion with someone who doesn't truly want one. Just opens multiple threads with redundant prefaced questions navigated to mongoloid tier intellectually dishonest responses.

Let it die and avoid future bait threads.
Reply 36
Clearly OP had an agenda. No point having a discussion with someone who doesn't truly want one. Just opens multiple threads with redundant prefaced questions navigated to mongoloid tier intellectually dishonest responses.

Let it die and avoid future bait threads.

The truth hurts
Original post by Lord Samosa
@Reality Check

You see what I was talking about earlier.

Yes - I do know what you mean, you know...it's something which exercises me. But surely you have to agree that the best way to deal with bigoted or unpleasant views is to air them, debate them and debunk them? I totally agree that there is a very unfortunate tendency for any thread which even comes close to 'something to do with muslims' to end up as some Islam-hating festival, and this is very much to our shame. But that doesn't mean we should close down all criticism of Islam, Christianity or any other religion. Debate (as the forum title suggests) is what we're all about here, surely? To stifle or censor it really wouldn't be in keeping with what we want to achieve here.

What we can agree on, Lord Samosa, is that debate can, and needs, to be done in a respectful and inclusive environment. This is what I think we need to work on, not polarising debates by arbitrarily deleting content which isn't rule breaking but might be distasteful.

That's my twopenn'orth, anyway.
Reply 38
How many Muslim girls would be allowed to bring home a non Muslim guy?

im a non muslim and my partners family are devout muslims

I have been welcomed more than I ever though I would
Reply 39
Original post by Ski288
im a non muslim and my partners family are devout muslims

I have been welcomed more than I ever though I would

Wait till they pressure you to convert

Besides this is a rare case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending