The Student Room Group

Do guys care about a girl's weight?

Scroll to see replies

Of course they do, being too heavy is unhealthy and extremely unattractive.
It's all preference, personally I would never date anybody overweight or close to it. Given that I workout, I expect my opposite to do the same.
To answer the OP first, yes, I do think weight is important. That's one of the main reasons why I'm personally trying to lose weight as well--if I expect someone else to be healthy and fit, I should as well.

Original post by Anonymous
Only just seen this but just calculated it and it's 33.6 which makes me into the obese category but I think it's mostly because of my height - I'm quite short (5'3"/5'4":wink:. BMI isn't greatly accurate anyway but like I say, if you're thinking of looking "appearance-wise", that scale at the very start of the thread I'm about 5/6 on there.

You are right to an extent; BMI isn't always accurate. But it's relatively accurate and serves its purpose, even for your height. If it's 33.6, it's most likely that you're not just 'chubby', you're quite fat, sorry to say. The girl above(the one you said you were slightly larger than) is already a 6-7 on the 'weight scale' that was posted earlier. From that, I can probably assume you're a 7-8 on that scale. Larger women tend to underestimate their weight.

That's it with the negativity. As for what you CAN do going on, I'd recommend reading the Fitness FAQ as well the 'Getting Started' section/FAQ of the Fitness and Loseit subreddits. I'd say they're excellent resources. What you want to do is to keep a calorie deficit, 1100/day if you want to lose 1kg/week. You can find your TDEE(total daily energy expenditure) by using a calculator, just follow the links I gave. There isn't even a need to exercise tbh, I never did. Diet is EVERYTHING.

Personally, I started off at 95kg, which was practically obese as an Asian, but I managed to lose 12kg over 3 months(was basically cheating the last month as I was leaving to the UK though), and managed to lose a further 3 or so kg over my 6 months in the UK(as I binged a tad too much). I'm at 80kg rn and am planning to get to 70 by the end of summer.

You can do it!
Only just seen this but just calculated it and it's 33.6 which makes me into the obese category but I think it's mostly because of my height - I'm quite short (5'3"/5'4":wink:. BMI isn't greatly accurate anyway but like I say, if you're thinking of looking "appearance-wise", that scale at the very start of the thread I'm about 5/6 on there.

Ok, just stop. Stop making excuses. I don't mean to upset, but you are almost definitely obese. BMI is only really inaccurate if you keep in great shape/lift.
Reply 64
Only just seen this but just calculated it and it's 33.6 which makes me into the obese category but I think it's mostly because of my height - I'm quite short (5'3"/5'4"). BMI isn't greatly accurate anyway but like I say, if you're thinking of looking "appearance-wise", that scale at the very start of the thread I'm about 5/6 on there.

BMI is calculated accordingly to your height so that's not really an excuse. Unfortunately you are obese as it's only inaccurate if you work out and have good muscle mass. Appearance wise, you are probably one of the luckier ones where the fat is distributed in a way that gives you some shape rather than get rid of it.
Original post by cbreef
Ok, just stop. Stop making excuses. I don't mean to upset, but you are almost definitely obese. BMI is only really inaccurate if you keep in great shape/lift.

I'm not making excuses, just stating a fact. I know I'm overweight, you don't need to remind me, I've already faced that reality. But until you've seen a picture of my figure, you cannot say for sure if I am "obese" or not. Even so, I guess "obese" is a social construct and it's pretty subjective as "obese" to me would be the inabilty to actually move/complete daily tasks.

I stand by my point, which is based on genuinely tested evidence, that BMI is not very accurate regardless of size. You asked for the honest truth and honestly, I didn't feel comfortable sharing it but y'know, I appreciate your thoughts regardless.
I'm not making excuses, just stating a fact. I know I'm overweight, you don't need to remind me, I've already faced that reality. But until you've seen a picture of my figure, you cannot say for sure if I am "obese" or not. Even so, I guess "obese" is a social construct and it's pretty subjective as "obese" to me would be the inabilty to actually move/complete daily tasks.

I stand by my point, which is based on genuinely tested evidence, that BMI is not very accurate regardless of size. You asked for the honest truth and honestly, I didn't feel comfortable sharing it but y'know, I appreciate your thoughts regardless.

None of this changes the fact that BMI is still generally, the accepted way of measuring a person's suitable weight. It doesn't work for absolutely everyone, but it still has its uses.

And you're right, I can't say for sure you're obese, in fact I didn't say I can, but the figures don't lie.
Original post by cbreef
None of this changes the fact that BMI is still generally, the accepted way of measuring a person's suitable weight. It doesn't work for absolutely everyone, but it still has its uses.

And you're right, I can't say for sure you're obese, in fact I didn't say I can, but the figures don't lie.

I guess not.
Original post by eden3
Ahh I see... still attractive to me :wink: and would definitely take a 5/6 over a skinny girl without hesitation

my point is you'll find plenty of different people with different tastes. like someone already said, you're going to uni soon so dw about it! :smile:

Eyy.... Ey... Ey eden.... Ey mayne.... Ey......

I knows what you tawkin about mayne.... :smug:.... I knows what you tawkin about.....

You fittin to leave just the nuts hangin out..... Yeaahhhhh.... Thas watchu wawnts.....
I'm deleting the post stating my BMI because clearly people are childish and can't be mature. Besides it's not really relevant to the thread so moving on...
Why did you report me for calling out your lies :lol:
Original post by eden3
e.g. for me personally I find this body type super attractive... what do you mean by chubby OP? Because a lot of girls tend to overestimate themselves lol

EYYY MAYNE DID SHE SEND A PICTURE??

*looks*

Ohhh mayne.... I think I just exploded...

(You know how it goes :wink:)
Original post by Script Kiddie
Why did you report me for calling out your lies :lol:

Describing myself as chubby is not a lie, I have freedom of speech and even if my BMI says otherwise, like I said earlier - obesity is a social construct and is subjective and if I want to convince myself that I am not obese (even if my BMI says I am), then I am entitled to do so. I just don't appreciate being called it by a complete stranger who has never even met me to judge whether I am indeed obese or not.

Your comment was off-topic and not contributary to the discussion anyway so I had every right to report it.

Grow up and act your age, you're acting like you're 12 over a forum report... lol.
Describing myself as chubby is not a lie, I have freedom of speech and even if my BMI says otherwise, like I said earlier - obesity is a social construct and is subjective and if I want to convince myself that I am not obese (even if my BMI says I am), then I am entitled to do so. I just don't appreciate being called it by a complete stranger who has never even met me to judge whether I am indeed obese or not.

Your comment was off-topic and not contributary to the discussion anyway so I had every right to report it.

Grow up and act your age, you're acting like you're 12 over a forum report... lol.

>Obesity is a social construct

my sides have left the ****ing orbit :toofunny:
I'm an 18yo female who is quite chubby and have never had a boyfriend, nor sex yet. I feel so awkward because all my friends seem to have had sex or had a boyfriend and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with me.

Without being modest, of course, I think I'm fairly attractive (and when I had Tinder that was reflected because I got a fair few matches based on my face (I didn't show my body) - even though that's not the best measure) and I consider myself to be a generous person, putting everyone else before myself first...

And the fact that I haven't got a guy or had sex yet makes me assume that this is down to my weight... so I was wondering from the guys of TSR - do you consider weight to be a factor in judging whether a girl is attractive or not? Please be honest because I'm just curious.

I'm just fed up of being single and while a boyfriend isn't the priority in my life, it'd just feel nice to be known that I am loved because I have terrible self-esteem, mild anxiety and have depressive spells as a result of relentless bullying regarding my weight...

I'm planning to lose weight over the summer after I complete my A-Levels anyway more for myself as a way of improving my self-esteem and feeling proud of myself but whether that will happen or not, I really don't know yet.

Thank you for any contributions anyone can give.

skinnier the better, obviously there's a limit to skinny, but u have to be skinny enough to have cheekbone and jawline.

@Future.
Reply 75
Original post by SmokingChains
skinnier the better, obviously there's a limit to skinny, but u have to be skinny enough to have cheekbone and jawline.

@Future.

Noice ben:wink:
You have to be healthy really tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by donutellme
Eyy.... Ey... Ey eden.... Ey mayne.... Ey......

I knows what you tawkin about mayne.... :smug:.... I knows what you tawkin about.....

You fittin to leave just the nuts hangin out..... Yeaahhhhh.... Thas watchu wawnts.....

ayyy u know what mayne? I would love to leave my BBC hangin out of ashley graham maynn...e YYEEEAAAAHHHH :smug:
Original post by donutellme
EYYY MAYNE DID SHE SEND A PICTURE??

*looks*

Ohhh mayne.... I think I just exploded...

(You know how it goes :wink:)

:rofl: :rofl: *SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss* aaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Original post by Future.
Noice ben:wink:
You have to be healthy really tbh

yea no point getting with a partner with poor quality blood, who is fat, other wise ur kids might get the gene of naturally being fat like deneyn, i already know i'm shallow but i want ma kids to be up to scratch. (i am the next hitler)
Original post by eden3
ayyy u know what mayne? I would love to leave my BBC hangin out of ashley graham maynn...e YYEEEAAAAHHHH :smug:

:rofl: :rofl: *SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss* aaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MAYYNNEEEEE she is a pretty young thaaaannnngggggggg....
Depends on whether your weight is extreme (skinny or overweight, both extremes).

Personally I find slightly chubby girls more attractive than completely flat stomach skinny girls but that's just a subjective preference.

Quick Reply