The Student Room Group

What's the difference between core maths and maths a level

So my Sixth form offers core maths and maths a level. However A level core maths you need a lower entry GcSE grade. My question is what is the difference between them? I want to be a doctor and so I have chosen Bio and Chem , maths has never been my cup of tea but for the last 3 months before GCSE I started to enjoy it and got a level 7 ( A ) , but I still have doubts that I will get a 6 ( B ) , which is my worst nightmare all because I screwed paper 2.
Is core maths a good choice rather than A level Maths ?
Reply 1
Original post by Rxha
So my Sixth form offers core maths and maths a level. However A level core maths you need a lower entry GcSE grade. My question is what is the difference between them? I want to be a doctor and so I have chosen Bio and Chem , maths has never been my cup of tea but for the last 3 months before GCSE I started to enjoy it and got a level 7 ( A ) , but I still have doubts that I will get a 6 ( B ) , which is my worst nightmare all because I screwed paper 2.

Core Maths is a Level 3 course and I don't think it would count as an actual A-Level. Core Maths you only need a C. If you were to choose out of them, I'd say to choose normal A-Level Maths.
Original post by Rxha

As far as I know, core maths will not be respected in anywhere near the same way as A level maths. Go for A level maths if at all possible.
Original post by S2M
Core Maths is a Level 3 course and I don't think it would count as an actual A-Level. Core Maths you only need a C. If you were to choose out of them, I'd say to choose normal A-Level Maths.

Okay . Thank you
Original post by wightsnowolf
As far as I know, core maths will not be respected in anywhere near the same way as A level maths. Go for A level maths if at all possible.

I'll stick with maths a level
Reply 5
Original post by Rxha
Okay . Thank you

Anytime. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest