The Student Room Group

Extreme phobia/fear of flying!

Hello everyone.

As the title suggest I have extreme phobia of flying. I am due to go on holiday in two weeks (UK-Majorca) and honestly, I should be excited but instead I'm so worried and actually dreading it.

I have anxiety as it is but flying brings it out on another level, to the point where I cannot sleep days before, I cry, I get panic attacks. Last time I flew there was a turbulence for most of the flight, I was sick and having such bad panic attacks I had heart palpitations.

I am aware of the statistics, of how safe it is, blah blah blah... but theres always something at the back of my mind. I even checked out the airlines - no-one has ever been injured or died which should put me at ease but here's me thinking -well it's bound to happen at some point. I would honestly rather walk or drive there if I could.

Can someone please recommend something, I have tried distracting myself, listening to music, reading books... none of that works because my mind is preoccupied with every sound and every move. I need something that will work but not anything that will knock me out completely as I don't want my friends to have to carry me off the plane :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rnv
Hello everyone.

As the title suggest I have extreme phobia of flying. I am done to go on holiday in two weeks (UK-Majorca) and honestly, I should be excited but instead I'm so worried and actually dreading it.

I have anxiety as it is but flying brings it out on another level, to the point where I cannot sleep days before, I cry, I get panic attacks. Last time I flew there was a turbulence for most of the flight, I was sick and having such bad panic attacks I had heart palpitations.

I am aware of the statistics, of how safe it is, blah blah blah... but theres always something at the back of my mind. I even checked out the airlines - no-one has ever been injured or died which should put me at ease but here's me thinking -well it's bound to happen at some point. I would honestly rather walk or drive there if I could.

Can someone please recommend something, I have tried distracting myself, listening to music, reading books... none of that works because my mind is preoccupied with every sound and every move. I need something that will work but not anything that will knock me out completely as I don't want my friends to have to carry me off the plane :biggrin:

@SmokingChains
@ShadowSeeker
(edited 6 years ago)

and this is why im happy that card got lost, cause i've been like this

@Future.
Reply 3
Original post by SmokingChains

@Future.

I thought you were looking forward to tmw :wink:
Anyway, I've lost my sweatpants so now I'm sad:redface: I need them packed lol
Help me find them maybeeee??:colondollar:
Go see a GP and get some meds to help with the anxiety
Original post by Future.
I thought you were looking forward to tmw :wink:
Anyway, I've lost my sweatpants so now I'm sad:redface: I need them packed lol
Help me find them maybeeee??:colondollar:

i saw it as a mini break and nothing more, idc tbh but i know we not going
Reply 6
i saw it as a mini break and nothing more, idc tbh but i know we not going

Yeaahhhh, ull find it lol if not none of us ain't going.

@Future.

What's this?
Original post by Future.
Yeaahhhh, ull find it lol if not none of us ain't going.

pm me wut we gonna do now or come to my place up to u
None of you are actually helping don't even know what's going on:confused::confused:
Reply 10
Original post by rnv
What's this?

hahaha lol we were supposed to go on hols tmw but someones lost their card lol so i guess not
Reply 11
pm me wut we gonna do now or come to my place up to u

take me about 45 mins to get out of here
plus i can't be bothered to get up
Original post by Future.
hahaha lol we were supposed to go on hols tmw but someones lost their card lol so i guess not

Oh :biggrin: well good luck!!
Reply 13
Original post by rnv
Oh :biggrin: well good luck!!

I tagged @SmokingChains cus hes terrified of flying like you and is kinda glad:h:
Thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by rnv
Hello everyone.

As the title suggest I have extreme phobia of flying. I am due to go on holiday in two weeks (UK-Majorca) and honestly, I should be excited but instead I'm so worried and actually dreading it.

There are pills you can take to prevent sickness?
@SmokingChains takes em anywayyy
Original post by Future.
There are pills you can take to prevent sickness?
@SmokingChains takes em anywayyy

Yeah I would be glad as well but looks like it's happening at the moment:biggrin: I shall try them I think I know what ones you're talking about

tagging me late :frown:
Original post by rnv
None of you are actually helping don't even know what's going on:confused::confused:

Idk but im here to help
Original post by rnv
Hello everyone.

I have been previously on planes, and its a passion for me I love planes etc...plus im going to do Aerospace/aeronautical engineering ..I have been on Airbus, private jets.etc I am thinking to become a pilot eventually
back to you

I kinda im lost I mean the fear of flying may be a distinct phobia in itself, or it may be an indirect combination of one or more other disorders, such as claustophobia (a phobia of being restricted, confined, or unable to escape) or acrophobia (anxiety or dread of being at a great height). It may have other causes as well, such as agorophobia (especially the type associated with having a panic attack in a place they can't escape from). It is a symptom rather than a disease and different causes may bring it about in different individuals.

A few ways to get rid of the phobia is

Separate fear from danger.

Recognize that common sense makes no sense.

Step onto the airplane with knowledge.

Smooth over things that go bump in the flight.

Fear of flying is quite common, but almost 20 percent of the population report that their fear interferes with their work and social lives. It’s not uncommon for fearful fliers to avoid vacations and job promotions. Experts divide fear of flying into three main groups; which one do you belong to?

Those who don’t fly or haven’t flown for more than five years despite the opportunity to do so.

Those who fly only when absolutely necessary with extreme terror.

Those who fly when required, but with anxiety.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ShadowSeeker
tagging me late :frown:

Idk but im here to help

ooooh sorry:colondollar:
Reply 18
Original post by rnv
Yeah I would be glad as well but looks like it's happening at the moment:biggrin: I shall try them I think I know what ones you're talking about

You're going on hols in two weeks hun, there is nothing to worry about rn:biggrin:

Update: We found it:h: @SmokingChains u gon get yo ass on dat plane now
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Future.
ooooh sorry:colondollar:

hahahha you dumbass.

Quick Reply

Latest