The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Have I given myself enough time to revise for QTS skills tests?

Hi so I've got to get the QTS skills test done before 1st of August. I've not prepared at all for the literacy one but I tried a couple of online tests and I've been getting above the pass rate which I think is a good sign seeing as though I haven't revised or practiced for it. But for maths, I haven't solved maths questions since GCSE's! I've not prepared for it yet and I have just under two months to do so I feel worried that I won't have the skills that I need to pass my numeracy test in time. Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Mxria1998
Hi so I've got to get the QTS skills test done before 1st of August. I've not prepared at all for the literacy one but I tried a couple of online tests and I've been getting above the pass rate which I think is a good sign seeing as though I haven't revised or practiced for it. But for maths, I haven't solved maths questions since GCSE's! I've not prepared for it yet and I have just under two months to do so I feel worried that I won't have the skills that I need to pass my numeracy test in time. Any advice would be much appreciated

Yes you do :smile: I managed to (somehow) pass the maths with 2 days revision - probably more luck than anything but yeah, 2 months is absolutely more than enough :tongue:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Awh thank you! And wow really? You must be better at maths than me then hahaDid you pass your literacy first time as well?
Reply 3
Awh thank you! And wow really? You must be better at maths than me then hahaDid you pass your literacy first time as well?

I have quite a mathematical brain but it was much harder than I expected but you'll absolutely fine with 2 months revision :smile: I did indeed! The literacy was much more straightforward than the maths test though :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Deyesy
I have quite a mathematical brain but it was much harder than I expected but you'll absolutely fine with 2 months revision :smile: I did indeed! The literacy was much more straightforward than the maths test though :tongue:

Which bits did you find the hardest? And yeah I'd expect it to be too. I'm getting mixed results though for literacy now, sometimes I'm just above the pass rate and other tests I'm way above the pass rate so I'm not sure when to book my test as I'm not completely 100% sure that I'll pass :/
Reply 5
I passed the literacy test first time. Spellings were a bit harder than the practice tests I thought but overall it was straightforward. I still haven't attempted the numeracy one. I've waited till my A level exams have finished. Hopefully I'll have enough time to pass it. I'm really bad at maths so I'm going to have to get someone to help me with that. Good luck with yours.
Reply 6
Really? How much revision did you do for literacy? And hopefully! Same, I got a B at GCSE but rememebr being really bad at it in class. I never used to listen tho and revising for my maths GCSE was something very new to me as I never used to revise before.. But yeah hopefully we pass first time, the two year ban sounds so daunting :frown:
Reply 7
Really? How much revision did you do for literacy? And hopefully! Same, I got a B at GCSE but rememebr being really bad at it in class. I never used to listen tho and revising for my maths GCSE was something very new to me as I never used to revise before.. But yeah hopefully we pass first time, the two year ban sounds so daunting :frown:

I do English literature at A level so I just found English much more easier, but I'm sure if you get high marks in the practice tests then you will be fine. Maybe there are some YouTube videos that will help. Hopefully we both pass first time. I'd hate not going university because of these tests 😊

If you live within a commutable distance to us, then you may be interested in our QTS Numeracy Skills Test Support Session on the 29th June!

The session is delivered by one of our PGCE Tutors and will give you a sound grasp of the skills required to pass the Numeracy Skills Test. Please note that there is a fee of £40 to attend the session.

If you are interested you can book a place at http://buyonline.mmu.ac.uk/product-catalogue/faculty-of-education/short-courses/professional-skills-test-support-in-literacy-and-numeracy.

If you have any questions about the session then just let me know :h:

Rebecca
Did my Maths test at the start of this month. Did a fair bit of revision for it basically did all of the government tests and tried to get 60% on each one as the pass rate is usually 60-65%Personally I thought the actual test was a hell of a lot easier than the practice ones availble as the maths was so much more basic. I think you definitely have enough time, have done a bit of revision for the English test but I finish school on the 16th so I'll probably leave it untol after tjat date so I can focus on that with the free time.
Reply 10
Original post by Minilogz
I do English literature at A level so I just found English much more easier, but I'm sure if you get high marks in the practice tests then you will be fine. Maybe there are some YouTube videos that will help. Hopefully we both pass first time. I'd hate not going university because of these tests 😊

I just sat my literacy skills test today and very pleased to say I passed:smile: the spellings were very simple, everything was just simple and straight forward really. And I finished with 20 minutes to spare.. was probably one of the lucky ones to receive a nice set of questions lol. But I defo need to start revising for the maths one, only one month left!
I just sat my literacy skills test today and very pleased to say I passed:smile: the spellings were very simple, everything was just simple and straight forward really. And I finished with 20 minutes to spare.. was probably one of the lucky ones to receive a nice set of questions lol. But I defo need to start revising for the maths one, only one month left!

Hi. Have you done your numeracy test yet?
Reply 12
Original post by Minilogz
Hi. Have you done your numeracy test yet?

Not yet, I will be doing it next week wish me luck!

Mine is on Monday. Hopefully I pass. :smile:

How did it go? I passed mine ! I'm so happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending