The Student Room Group

Missed my A level exam

I missed my A level exam, I don't know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talk to your college they're going to have a better idea than the denizens of TSR
Original post by rukkyyxx
I missed my A level exam, I don't know what to do

what subject and was it today?
Speak to your exams coordinator, but you will probably have to wait until next year
Reply 4
You're almost certainly going to have to wait until next year. Sorry :frown:

However, you MIGHT be able to convince the exam board to use your predicted grade instead
Reply 5
Original post by Ash8991
You're almost certainly going to have to wait until next year. Sorry :frown:

However, you MIGHT be able to convince the exam board to use your predicted grade instead

Thanks for you quick reply. I've spoken to the exams office at college and they said they'll try to convince them. Do you know whether unis accept the predicted grades.
Reply 6
Original post by ShadowSeeker
what subject and was it today?

Chemistry Paper2! Yes it was
Chemistry Paper2! Yes it was

you arent the only one
I have a few friends who had trian and bus delay therefore missed it
Reply 8
Why did you miss it? If it was just because you forgot then they will calculate your overall grade on the other 2 papers and it will not be very good.
One thing that is certain is that they will not use your predicted grade - they do not collect them so cannot use them.
Reply 9
Thanks for you quick reply. I've spoken to the exams office at college and they said they'll try to convince them. Do you know whether unis accept the predicted grades.

Yeah, they should do. If you do get your predicted grade instead, I think it'll just show up as a normal A level result (no different to your other grades, just a single letter). But I'm not 100% certain, maybe the unis you've applied to would get notified but I can't see there being a huge problem considering people usually end up getting their predicted grades anyway. Best of luck!
Original post by Ash8991
Yeah, they should do. If you do get your predicted grade instead,

They never use predicted grades. They don't collect them and don't use them if candidates miss units.

Original post by Ash8991
people usually end up getting their predicted grades anyway.

Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or use them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Compost
They never use predicted grades. They don't collect them and don't use them if candidates miss units.

Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or sue them.

They might ask for a paper done under mock conditions
Reply 12
It depends why you missed the exam. A friend of mine missed a paper due to appendicitis, and she was told that the exam board would calculate her grade for that paper based on a combination of her score in the other papers, her mock/predicted grades and the national average.
Original post by Pugglet
They might ask for a paper done under mock conditions

They haven't done that for over 12 years.
Original post by Compost
They haven't done that for over 12 years.

Well it happened last week at my sixth form so....
Original post by Compost

Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or sue them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/health/if-illness-strikes-what-do-you-do-as-two-years-work-threatens-to-go-up-in-smoke-2054076.html

This is a case of where the candidate literally could not do the exam due to sickness which isn't as good of an excuse as not turning up to an exam due to oversleeping, if that's what happened with the OP. But if the OP missed the exam because of a car accident or because they witnessed a serious crime happen (for example), they might be able to do as this person did and ask for them to use their predicted grades.

Spoiler

You have believed a newspaper but I work to the exam regulations (it's my job) and I can guarantee to you that they do not use predicted grades or mock results to calculate what grade to give someone if they miss an exam for legitimate reasons. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent
Reply 17
Original post by Compost
You have believed a newspaper but I work to the exam regulations (it's my job) and I can guarantee to you that they do not use predicted grades or mock results to calculate what grade to give someone if they miss an exam for legitimate reasons. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent

Out of interest, what would they do if, for example, a student was seriously ill and missed all of the exams for a particular subject? Or it was a subject with only one paper?
Hey i missed my alevel this year,what did u do?
Hahahhaha lol your screwed ha

Quick Reply

Latest