The Student Room Group

What 3 A Levels should I take - Eng Lit, Psychology, History or Biology?

Hey, I don't know if anyone on here can successfully advise me, but I'm really unsure about what to take for my 3rd A Level.
My current choices are Eng Lang, End Lit and Psychology, but I'm going to change Eng Lang because I no longer want to do it...
But I don't know whether to take History or Biology instead?
I didn't take GCSE History, but I did do Classical Civilisation and have a good insight into History and think I will enjoy the course.
However, I am predicted an A in my Biology GCSE and I really enjoy the subject... I just don't know whether it will be too much of a challenge at A Level.

I want to go on to study either Law, Business or English Lit at uni so I guess history is probably a better option but I'm just still not sure.

Has anybody had experience in taking similar subjects and would let me know how they found each one (especially how you found the transition from GCSE to A level biology)?

Thank you !
Reply 1
Original post by dreamerkitten
Hey, I don't know if anyone on here can successfully advise me, but I'm really unsure about what to take for my 3rd A Level.
My current choices are Eng Lang, End Lit and Psychology, but I'm going to change Eng Lang because I no longer want to do it...
But I don't know whether to take History or Biology instead?
I didn't take GCSE History, but I did do Classical Civilisation and have a good insight into History and think I will enjoy the course.
However, I am predicted an A in my Biology GCSE and I really enjoy the subject... I just don't know whether it will be too much of a challenge at A Level.

I want to go on to study either Law, Business or English Lit at uni so I guess history is probably a better option but I'm just still not sure.

Has anybody had experience in taking similar subjects and would let me know how they found each one (especially how you found the transition from GCSE to A level biology)?

Thank you !

As long as you've checked the entry requirements for uni and it doesn't make a big difference which subject you pick, you should generally go for the one you find interesting, that way you'll always be motivated in it. I'm doing my A2 biology exams right now and can say biology is one of the easiest A-levels (however, I didn't take history). The transition from GCSE to A-level biology wasn't bad at all, it was worse for chemistry
off the bat, i would probably go with history. However, from someone who did a history AS level, i would advise you find out what topics in history you will be covering and try to read a few articles about each module/topic to see if it's something you would potentially enjoy. I didn't do this and ended up detesting one of my papers, ultimately bringing down my grade lol. Also yes biology is very challenging but very respected (as is history) so there would be no issue in choosing that, but i think history would generally prepare you more for a law or english lit degree :smile:
DONT TAKE BIOLOGY IT RUINED MY LIFE. If there's one good deed I can do its to ward you off bio (unless you'd be doing aqa, if your exam board is edexcel DONT DO IT). That one subject ruined my chances of uni. Go with the others.
Good choice choosing to drop English Lang! It's not the most interesting of subjects

I study A level English Lit and it's really interesting. One of the assessment objectives in the exam is context- based, so picking history may support your knowledge here and increase your understanding of any contemporary attitudes and issues surrounding your chosen topics. Although both subjects are essay based so you may find that extra stressful when it comes to exams.... depends on how well you can cope with that I guess

You seem to have based your subjects around English so choosing Biology seems like the 'odd one out' as it's a hell of a lot more maths based. I've never known anyone to pick a 'wordy' subject in combination of a 'number' based subject (if that makes any sense) so I'm guessing it's quite a difficult combo?
Original post by em.101
Good choice choosing to drop English Lang! It's not the most interesting of subjects

I study A level English Lit and it's really interesting. One of the assessment objectives in the exam is context- based, so picking history may support your knowledge here and increase your understanding of any contemporary attitudes and issues surrounding your chosen topics. Although both subjects are essay based so you may find that extra stressful when it comes to exams.... depends on how well you can cope with that I guess

You seem to have based your subjects around English so choosing Biology seems like the 'odd one out' as it's a hell of a lot more maths based. I've never known anyone to pick a 'wordy' subject in combination of a 'number' based subject (if that makes any sense) so I'm guessing it's quite a difficult combo?

Yeah - one sixth form I looked at really sold it to me, they got to do a load of their own journalism and creative writing etc and it seemed great, but they were doing the Edexcel course and the AQA one just seems even more drab...I think I'd suffer.

I think that History definitely would compliment lit well - and as for the fact that all 3 subjects are essay based, that's sort of why I chose them... I was born to write essays lol. I sat iGCSE Lit (Edexcel board) early and managed to do about 14 a4 pages in the space of 1hr 30mins.

I'm thinking that my love for biology and maths will be satisfied with the biopsychology component of Psychology and a lot of the data handling. Thank you so much for your response! You've been a big help.
Original post by rosie_cats
off the bat, i would probably go with history. However, from someone who did a history AS level, i would advise you find out what topics in history you will be covering and try to read a few articles about each module/topic to see if it's something you would potentially enjoy. I didn't do this and ended up detesting one of my papers, ultimately bringing down my grade lol. Also yes biology is very challenging but very respected (as is history) so there would be no issue in choosing that, but i think history would generally prepare you more for a law or english lit degree :smile:

Yeah, I think I will... The topics will be the British Empire, the American Dream and the Tudors - which are actually some of my favourite topics in History. I agree with your statement that it's more relevant for an english or law degree.
Thank you for your reply ! Really helped me make up my mind. :smile:
Original post by Rexx18
As long as you've checked the entry requirements for uni and it doesn't make a big difference which subject you pick, you should generally go for the one you find interesting, that way you'll always be motivated in it. I'm doing my A2 biology exams right now and can say biology is one of the easiest A-levels (however, I didn't take history). The transition from GCSE to A-level biology wasn't bad at all, it was worse for chemistry

Yeah, for Law there are no specific requirements and for English you only have to have Eng Lit.
I think, in all fairness, if you enjoy a subject and are good at it, it will never really be all that hard. That's interesting to hear - I imagine there's just a bit more maths in the papers.
Overall, I think I'm gonna take History as I do enjoy essay subjects more, and I feel like it will compliment lit better... I'm thinking of just tutoring KS3 and GCSE students for Biology to keep doing something science related.
Thank you for your reply! :smile:
Original post by harrypotter&tea
DONT TAKE BIOLOGY IT RUINED MY LIFE. If there's one good deed I can do its to ward you off bio (unless you'd be doing aqa, if your exam board is edexcel DONT DO IT). That one subject ruined my chances of uni. Go with the others.

The exam board would be AQA for me, but I feel like my grade would be a let down with Bio... I think I'm more likely to get a better grade with History.
Thank you for your reply... And I'm so sorry that Biology has been **** for you :frown:
I hope things work out and you do get to go to a uni you like

Quick Reply

Latest