The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strimpy
same, made silly mistakes and confused myself, plus question 8 (with the damn rabbits) took me about half an hour lol. The grade boundaries were 59 for an A last year and imo this paper was far harder

do you reckon you still got an A because im really not sure i did :redface:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4793766
have you checked with this?
Reply 3101

And judging by https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=56018 nearly 50% of TSR thinks it was "bad" or "horrible"...
Hi all. I'm looking for any and all graduates who have received offers for graduate medicine from any of the three colleges that offer it. Also if there are any successful applicants for the masters in medicinal biochemistry I'd love to speak to you too. Please message me if you have received one of these offers!

Thank you!
Original post by Doonesbury
And judging by https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=56018 nearly 50% of TSR thinks it was "bad" or "horrible"...

Yes but at the same time, this poll - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4793766 - says 35% of people think they have 66-75 marks. It was the same for D1 this year which I thought was pretty hard for a D1 and loads of people responded to it as bad or horrible.
I guess TSR in general is overachieving or overconfident...
Original post by Steliata
I think I've still got an A presuming there's no more silly mistakes I haven't thought of, it's the 90 UMS for an A* I'm not sure of. Just gotta smash C4 I guess and get that 180 UMS total I suppose

I'm sure you will!

yep lol thats what im basing my predictions off
and the reason for my depression
Original post by Strimpy
I'm sure you will!

yep lol thats what im basing my predictions off
and the reason for my depression

Really? Sounds like an A could be dead low on that paper, about 55. I'm sure you'll be alright with C4 and your applied unit
Original post by k.russell
Really? Sounds like an A could be dead low on that paper, about 55. I'm sure you'll be alright with C4 and your applied unit

doubt it will actually be that low tho, only one ever below 55 was 2013 which was so bad the bbc actually reported it lol

and well i reckon i got about 56-58, gotta pray C4 is nicer or im totally screwed
Original post by Zacken
If you're interested in finding out more, reading 'A Mathematicians Lament' by Lockhart (a short PDF) or 'A Mathematicians Apology' is a recommended read.

I know this wasn't recommended for me but thank you. I just read "A Mathematician's Lament" and as a student who went through the American style of maths education... I can definitely relate to the examples he was making. As a person who has always hated maths as it is taught at school... this has given me something to think about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I know this wasn't recommended for me but thank you. I just read "A Mathematician's Lament" and as a student who went through the American style of maths education... I can definitely relate to the examples he was making. As a person who has always hated maths as it is taught at school... this has given me something to think about...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all, thank you for reading it! I'm glad you found it illuminating. I keep sharing that document around in the hopes that more people will read it.

The UK style seems to be a fair bit better than the US one, but they both still completely miserably represent actual maths.
Original post by Zacken
Not at all, thank you for reading it! I'm glad you found it illuminating. I keep sharing that document around in the hopes that more people will read it.

The UK style seems to be a fair bit better than the US one, but they both still completely miserably represent actual maths.

I'll share it on Facebook in the hopes that some friends will read it as well.

Yeah from my experience, (I've been in both British and American schools) the British way is better compared to the American way. The result is that almost all of my classmates hate maths, even the ones who are good at it.-They turn to CompSci and Physics instead.

Only one guy in my class applied to be a maths major because he loved maths... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I have some luck from the good people of TSR for my history exam tomorrow I'm dreading it 😭😭
Reply 3111
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Can I have some luck from the good people of TSR for my history exam tomorrow I'm dreading it 😭😭

LUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

Good luck! 🍀🍀🍀
Original post by Doonesbury
LUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

Wooo thank you!! :colondollar:❤❤❤

I had to go to an awards ceremony to pick up a special award for "achievement against the odds", so I missed valuable revision time, so a little scared now. (Though I did do 3.5 further hours after..) so now I just ahh

I am a worried Durham steamboat :tongue:
Wooo thank you!! :colondollar:❤❤❤

I had to go to an awards ceremony to pick up a special award for "achievement against the odds", so I missed valuable revision time, so a little scared now. (Though I did do 3.5 further hours after..) so now I just ahh

I am a worried Durham steamboat :tongue:

Your school has much more inventive awards than ours. There's just the classic "being good at music" and "top 10 achievers" or "being good at [x] sport".

I'd love some "Underdog" awards, or subject-specific ones would be cool
Original post by Inister
Your school has much more inventive awards than ours. There's just the classic "being good at music" and "top 10 achievers" or "being good at [x] sport".

I'd love some "Underdog" awards, or subject-specific ones would be cool

Nah it wasn't from my school It was from my town council/wider borough government thing
Nah it wasn't from my school It was from my town council/wider borough government thing

Lol I bet that doesn't help ease the pressure
Original post by Inister
Lol I bet that doesn't help ease the pressure

No not really :frown: Ive resigned myself to not going to Cambridge though :redface: like ive done most of my exams just hope tomorrow isn't a total flunk and the day after is decent... after that it's completely out of my control
Original post by Strimpy
doubt it will actually be that low tho, only one ever below 55 was 2013 which was so bad the bbc actually reported it lol

and well i reckon i got about 56-58, gotta pray C4 is nicer or im totally screwed

C4 and the applied unit! Applied is just as important as c4 for an A grade. Good luck mate - honestly the worst thing you can do is worry, just relax and do your bet.
Even if it's not an A, I reckon 56-58 is 75-80 ums so as long as you can average slightly over an A in the other 2 you're gravy
anyone feeling brave enough to predict maths ums?

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending