Luca Km
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I Am in top set for Maths (Out of 8) i worked hard to get here and i just did my non-calculator paper. I was disappointing by the fact that i felt i struggled and everyone in set 1,2 and 3 said it was pretty easy. My spring result for maths was disappointing for set 1 with a score of 73%. I really need a good mark for my calculator paper, please someone tell me what i can do. i really want to be top set next year for the gcse work.
M.IC3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luca Km)
I Am in top set for Maths (Out of 8) i worked hard to get here and i just did my non-calculator paper. I was disappointing by the fact that i felt i struggled and everyone in set 1,2 and 3 said it was pretty easy. My spring result for maths was disappointing for set 1 with a score of 73%. I really need a good mark for my calculator paper, please someone tell me what i can do. i really want to be top set next year for the gcse work.

Practice Q's are your best friends

Other than that you shouldn't overwork yourself in year 9, put in serious work next year
Luca Km
Rep:
?
idk, my parents well my mother has very high expectations and makes me revise for a very long time but i feel like doing that has just made my grades go down and down and down
mathcool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay.Start with latest first.

Now you have calculator paper, first concentrate on that without worrying anything about it.

For doing well examination well,

1) Be confident, come with practice

2) get familiar questions in the paper (this you do not have control over) and obviously you can try maximise it.

3) When you are doing examination, planning before answering examination

1 & 2, you know and you feel that you have done work.

So, may be for 3, I have some tips.

Firstly, I have noticied in some schools' maths papers (Higher) that in calculator paper not all questions need calulator, and questions can be answered without using calculator.

Read all questions

Make order of the questions, the one you are most confident / familiar to the least.

Estimate average time that have to be spent on each question. This does depend on the marks for each question. Say 10 questions with equal marks in 90 mins paper, so you have to spend no more than 9 mins on each question.

Follow the order if you can when you are answering. From most confident / familiar to least confident or familiar

Carefully note the wording of questions (like calculate, wrtie down, show that, prove that etc). For example, writr down means you look at the data (given, say a graph) and write the anser down (i.e. no working out involved).

If you are stuck on a question, write in words and briefly your approach and go to next question in you list.

Finish all the questions and come back to stuck question.

Try to finish all questions as much as possible without rushing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for you your future preparations.

If you have prepared and then felt some what bad, then you have to re-visit preparation and check your methods and/or understanding.

I will post a message to you and see if you want to take it.
Luca Km
Rep:
?
right i've revised a good amount for my exam tomorrow. i am not too sure about how it will go but let's say i get 80% in both tests will i be in top (or at least have a 50/50 chance) or will i move down to set 2
jaymuise
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dont revise in year 9, its just going to wear you out for the actually important years i.e. gcses and a level. I was in bottom set for maths all throughout school but i got an A in AS maths last year so no point overworking.
mathcool
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
right i've revised a good amount for my exam tomorrow. i am not too sure about how it will go but let's say i get 80% in both tests will i be in top (or at least have a 50/50 chance) or will i move down to set 2
I think your problem is connecting the various topics to the questions.

This may be why revision may not be working for you.

Is this the case?

Revision is for reminding the topics and revision of individual topics, however large the spent time was, will not help if you cannot connect the topics to questions.

This, I think I can help you with, if you wish
username3320302
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MichaelMoore01)
Practice Q's are your best friends

Other than that you shouldn't overwork yourself in year 9, put in serious work next year
It is really hard to move up next year in year 10 and year 11
Luca Km
Rep:
?
Yeah i heard that moving up is very difficult, I've slowly just been going down for my maths. and mathcool, maybe i'm not to sure. i've been practicing levels 6-8 (year 9 sats) but those seem to have a lot harder stuff then our current top set.
mathcool
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah i heard that moving up is very difficult, I've slowly just been going down for my maths. and mathcool, maybe i'm not to sure. i've been practicing levels 6-8 (year 9 sats) but those seem to have a lot harder stuff then our current top set.
As I said, all examination boards are making maths learning and examinations to be more analytical in approach and original thinking and planning by students in both learning and examinations.

This is now confirmed by this year (9-1) maths GCSE, where students who found it relatively easier now find it examinations challenging, hard, tough, to various degree.

However, I think this is partly to do with previous style of teaching and approach in schools. That is more on mathematical fact & guidance based, and the students were guided through questions. In addition, questions progress with increasing difficulty. This has been generally true for all boards for previous maths syllabus.

Now the change is that students are expected to figure out approach & guidance, and that migh/will involve using more than two topics (like say, algebra, geometry, coordinate geometry, number analysis etc). You are now expected to remeber more formulae, which I think is difficult without analytical approach (i.e. how the formulae were derived in the first place).

I think this is major step for GCSE (and in some ways it is moving to old style examinations, although not in every ways).
Luca Km
Rep:
?
yeh i guess, one thing i've struggled so much was sectors and arcs and prooving that something is congruent
mathcool
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeh i guess, one thing i've struggled so much was sectors and arcs and prooving that something is congruent
Post some questions which you are finding difficult, then I may be able to find and help you for independently approaching the questions.

Or

It may be the topics themselves where you have some form of difficulty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (52)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.24%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.49%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.69%

Watched Threads