The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Religious Studies Unit 3B & 4C RST3B/RST4C 19 & 27 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

guys how did you find the a2 philsoophy exam on thew 19th?
Reply 101
Original post by bbeSk
guys how did you find the a2 philsoophy exam on thew 19th?

It wasn't fairly weird I don't really know how it went, the questions have never been like that.
for the ethics exam on the 27th is it possible to just revise ways of moral decision making.im so confused theres no revision guide for ethics
Original post by Goodness_odt
for the ethics exam on the 27th is it possible to just revise ways of moral decision making.im so confused theres no revision guide for ethics

You only learn one topic. I learnt ways of moral decisionmaking, so there is no way I can do any of the other topics in the exam even if some like relgious authority seems answerable
Original post by Neddie001
You only learn one topic. I learnt ways of moral decisionmaking, so there is no way I can do any of the other topics in the exam even if some like relgious authority seems answerable

Yeah just learning ways of moral decision making is fine. Also, every single year since 2011 there has been a question on religious then a question on ethical systems - so do you reckon it'll be fine just to revise ethical systems? Or is this risky as there is no certainty that they will follow the same structure?
Original post by harryg98
Yeah just learning ways of moral decision making is fine. Also, every single year since 2011 there has been a question on religious then a question on ethical systems - so do you reckon it'll be fine just to revise ethical systems? Or is this risky as there is no certainty that they will follow the same structure?

I would reckon it would be a bit risky and just make sure you are clued up on both
I would reckon it would be a bit risky and just make sure you are clued up on both

Yeah I guess. Do you agree that they will follow same structure though?
Does anyone have any notes for RST4C?
Reply 108
[QUOTE=S.xxo;72246214]Question on onto argument in ur intro would u summarise onto argument + outline on the essay and then go in to the essay and also for descartes would u write about anselm briefly?? Or not? coz obV his argument is developed from Anselms
Descartes argument isnt a development of Anselms, Descartes had never read Anselms
Yeah I guess. Do you agree that they will follow same structure though?

Honestly I have no clue, AQA is the least predictable of all the exam boards I do (just look at our philo paper for a prime example)
thank you so much I was confused and shook about the other 2...so basically learn the deontlogical and teleological systems and he religious part and that's it??
Original post by Goodness_odt
thank you so much I was confused and shook about the other 2...so basically learn the deontlogical and teleological systems and he religious part and that's it??

Yep, that seems right to me. Then you have just got to pick the right ones to do in the exam
i literally haven't studied religion i have Only learnt about ethical systems, is this a risk???? UUUUH FUK
Does anyone have any notes for RST4C?

like heaps of notes lol, what ones u searching for in particular?
Original post by bbeSk
like heaps of notes lol, what ones u searching for in particular?

Anything, my teacher hasn't prepared us in the slightest.
Anything, my teacher hasn't prepared us in the slightest.

do you know the basis for teleology, deontology and hybridity?
// case studies? or shall i give u some info x
Original post by bbeSk
do you know the basis for teleology, deontology and hybridity?
// case studies? or shall i give u some info x

Yeah I know all the fundamental stuff, just don't have any detailed notes for specific systems like strengths/weaknesses. Also, any case studies for medical developments would be great. Thanks a lot
Thalidomide: a drug prescribed during the late 1950's chiefly to pregnant women to combat morning sickness. It was tested on rats, mice, rabbits, dogs, etc. and teratogenic effects were only induced occasionally...very rarely. When the drugs were prescribed to pregnant women it caused an estimated 10,000 birth defects, babies suffered from PHOCOMELIA.

Act Util - Jeremy Bentham: hedonic calculus/utility principle - at the point where the drug was successfully tested on the animals, it would be most likely deemed suitable to use on humans BY an act utilitarian as it would appear that it would produce the greatest good for the greatest number, but this obviously shows the FLAW in A.U which is the necessity of having an accurate foresight which is something humans obviously don't have.

The cat sex experiment: experiments involved the mutilation of cats in various ways including removing parts of their brains and destroying senses of smell and touch by cutting nerves in their sex organs. scientists then evaluated the cats sexual performance (this was POINTLESS, merely for the benefit of the scientists, just because they 'could' i guess

Act Util - Jeremy Bentham - would agree with this action arguably in regards to his Utility Principle, (quantitative) greatest good for greatest number - scientists gained greater pleasure
Rule Util - J.S. Mill - could argue that he would disagree because qualitatively the pleasure being gained is barely developing any pleasures of the mind, but was feeding the pleasures of the body, the scientists were enjoying it
Virtue Ethics: has its own stance for morality, concerned with becoming a better person and human flourishing - individuals would be practicing vice of deficiency: spitefulness, wouldn't be supported.

DEGRAZIA: how this work might have beneffited any human being was difficult to fathom
THOMAS NICHOLSON: he felt the freedom to experiment was enough, people should never be constrained in their searches for science by the concerns for the animal being

IS THIS the kinda stuff u want 2 know??? shall i continue
Original post by bbeSk
Thalidomide: a drug prescribed during the late 1950's chiefly to pregnant women to combat morning sickness. It was tested on rats, mice, rabbits, dogs, etc. and teratogenic effects were only induced occasionally...very rarely. When the drugs were prescribed to pregnant women it caused an estimated 10,000 birth defects, babies suffered from PHOCOMELIA.

Act Util - Jeremy Bentham: hedonic calculus/utility principle - at the point where the drug was successfully tested on the animals, it would be most likely deemed suitable to use on humans BY an act utilitarian as it would appear that it would produce the greatest good for the greatest number, but this obviously shows the FLAW in A.U which is the necessity of having an accurate foresight which is something humans obviously don't have.

The cat sex experiment: experiments involved the mutilation of cats in various ways including removing parts of their brains and destroying senses of smell and touch by cutting nerves in their sex organs. scientists then evaluated the cats sexual performance (this was POINTLESS, merely for the benefit of the scientists, just because they 'could' i guess

Act Util - Jeremy Bentham - would agree with this action arguably in regards to his Utility Principle, (quantitative) greatest good for greatest number - scientists gained greater pleasure
Rule Util - J.S. Mill - could argue that he would disagree because qualitatively the pleasure being gained is barely developing any pleasures of the mind, but was feeding the pleasures of the body, the scientists were enjoying it
Virtue Ethics: has its own stance for morality, concerned with becoming a better person and human flourishing - individuals would be practicing vice of deficiency: spitefulness, wouldn't be supported.

DEGRAZIA: how this work might have beneffited any human being was difficult to fathom
THOMAS NICHOLSON: he felt the freedom to experiment was enough, people should never be constrained in their searches for science by the concerns for the animal being

IS THIS the kinda stuff u want 2 know??? shall i continue

Wow, thanks that'll help a lot - the only case study I've learnt is the Tuskegee experiment. Did Degrazia and Thomas Nicholson comment that for both the studies or just the cat experiment? Also, jw are you going to revise the religious section to moral decision making?
Wow, thanks that'll help a lot - the only case study I've learnt is the Tuskegee experiment. Did Degrazia and Thomas Nicholson comment that for both the studies or just the cat experiment? Also, jw are you going to revise the religious section to moral decision making?

degrazia commented on that in specific, and nicholson thats general which i just applied. uuuuh i will revise like the tiniest bit BUT, for ethical systems im also learning divine command theory (deontology), and natural law (deontology) a little, so could apply them? then like just will probably look over conscience a little to see how it can be applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending