The Student Room Group

Migrant worker minimum working hours

Hello,
I have already applied and got the letter how much will I get for maintenance loan.
When I applied I stated that I will work full time. Now I realized that I am not going to be able to work full time and study full time.

Questions:
-What is the minimum working hour for a migrant worker on week to be eligible for maintenance loan?
-Can I reapply or state that I will work only part time from September, however I still work full time?
-Can I get more maintenance loan If I work only part time instead of full time?
-What date is the first payment for maintenance loan? (The letter says the first payment for tuition fee loan is 18/10. Is it the same for maintenance loan?)

Thank you
donvarga
Original post by donvarga
Hello,
I have already applied and got the letter how much will I get for maintenance loan.
When I applied I stated that I will work full time. Now I realized that I am not going to be able to work full time and study full time.

Hi Donvarga

I'll answer the questions one at a time :smile:

Questions:
-What is the minimum working hour for a migrant worker on week to be eligible for maintenance loan?

There's no minimum amount of hours. We'll even accept students on zero hours contracts. As long as you can show the employment is genuine and you earn enough to be able to support yourself.

-Can I reapply or state that I will work only part time from September, however I still work full time?

If you apply while working full time and then change to part time you would need to let us know.

-Can I get more maintenance loan If I work only part time instead of full time?

No. If you're eligible for funding as a migrant worker your entitlement to student finance is the same whether you're full time or part time.

-What date is the first payment for maintenance loan? (The letter says the first payment for tuition fee loan is 18/10. Is it the same for maintenance loan?)

Payment dates for the maintenance loan are based on the term start dates

Thanks
Are these information still valid?Thank you
Original post by Nymphetamine91
Are these information still valid?Thank you

Hi, please advise of your query and we can assist further.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Can you apply even if you have started your course? I did not have a job at the start of my course and now I do. Can I still apply?
@Sfe
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rocio_B
Can you apply even if you have started your course? I did not have a job at the start of my course and now I do. Can I still apply?
@Sfe

Hi, yes that is possible.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi, I read this and applied for Maintanance loan with my part time job as a migrant worker. You said there’s no minimum hours of work that needs to be done. I just received an email from STE saying “we can’t confirm that you’re working an acceptable level in the UK”. These two sentences are contradictory. Either there is a minimum hours you have to work, like the email suggest, either there is no minimum hours as you suggested in the comments. So which one is it?
Original post by Yeasmin96
Hi, I read this and applied for Maintanance loan with my part time job as a migrant worker. You said there’s no minimum hours of work that needs to be done. I just received an email from STE saying “we can’t confirm that you’re working an acceptable level in the UK”. These two sentences are contradictory. Either there is a minimum hours you have to work, like the email suggest, either there is no minimum hours as you suggested in the comments. So which one is it?

There is no minimum amount of hours we can state publicly. Even zero hour contracts are acceptable.

The Migrant Worker team will look at how many hours you are working and the money you are earning. If they determine it to be too low then you won't be eligible. They do have an internal guideline as to what is too low but it's not something we can release publicly because the assessors will use their discretion.

Thanks, Isaac
Hey..how many hours did Student finance say you need to work to continue to take maintenance loan?I cannot find the information myself :smile:
Original post by Magda Jianu
Hey..how many hours did Student finance say you need to work to continue to take maintenance loan?I cannot find the information myself :smile:

Hi there, There is no minimum amount of hours we can state publicly. Even zero hour contracts are acceptable.

The Migrant Worker team will look at how many hours you are working and the money you are earning. If they determine it to be too low then you won't be eligible. They do have an internal guideline as to what is too low but it's not something we can release publicly because the assessors will use their discretion. Thanks, Karen
Reply 10
Hello, what will happen if at any point you become enemployed are you losing your student finance?
Original post by gateran
Hello, what will happen if at any point you become enemployed are you losing your student finance?

Hi there,

Normally, to be a Migrant Worker you need to be continually employed, but there are exceptions. The important thing is to let us know as soon as your situation changes or if you become unemployed.

We can then tell the Migrant Worker team and they'll let you know what to do. For example, if you become unemployed due to redundancy or sickness the team can take that into account.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending