The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
Ah i see so its not asking you to design one procedure its asking you for a variety of differnt ways to test the technique! so you could talk about in one pargraph how he should build a rapport to reduce anxiety so that the effects of darly's context reinstatement can be seen as participants will be rellaxed and able to recall information effectively?

Yeah and you would make sure to link that back to ECI (and how it ensures rapport is built between interviewer and intervewee) and then include info from the passage by saying in order to get them to sleep in the station you need to build rapport. Then a linking back to original question sentence saying rapport = gains more info.

Also I think you should also evaluate for higher marks by just doing quick one line evaluations like 'However, building rapport might not work for everyone as people have to be motivated to explain what they had witnessed, so this idea does not consider individual differences'
anyone know if it says using research from [dixon] can u still use others as examples to back up points or is that not credited??
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Yeah and you would make sure to link that back to ECI (and how it ensures rapport is built between interviewer and intervewee) and then include info from the passage by saying in order to get them to sleep in the station you need to build rapport. Then a linking back to original question sentence saying rapport = gains more info.

Also I think you should also evaluate for higher marks by just doing quick one line evaluations like 'However, building rapport might not work for everyone as people have to be motivated to explain what they had witnessed, so this idea does not consider individual differences'

One way in which darly could have a valid test of the effect of sleeping in the station is by ensuring a rapport is built between the interviewee and the interviewer, this may be done by allowing the interviewer to hang out with the interviewee in the evening before they sleep so that they are a famililar face seen when woken up to be interviewer later on. This is based of fisher and gielsmans ECI where they foudn that building a rapport can help put witnesses at ease so that they do not use up cognitive processing with anxiety and can more accuratley recall information. So forth building a rapport can help Daryl reduce participant anxiety so that extraneous variables influencing recall of the video seen are reduced and the study is more valid. However building a rapport is time consuming and means that darly would have to allow more time for his study which may be impractical.

How is this? so you dont need to describe a full procedure but just give ideas about how the research can be delt with in general? :smile:
Original post by fudgecake7777
anyone know if it says using research from [dixon] can u still use others as examples to back up points or is that not credited??

I actually asked my teacher this question today and she said yes you can use others. If it is a 10 mark question, you get 5 marks for background and 5 marks for the key research. So you MUST use Dixon or whoever the question mentions, but the other smaller studies count as background so you will get marks.
Reply 524
How do people remember memon's study? It's so unorganised all I found is that mental reinstatement is basically the only good part of the cognitive interview
Original post by clairebear101
One way in which darly could have a valid test of the effect of sleeping in the station is by ensuring a rapport is built between the interviewee and the interviewer, this may be done by allowing the interviewer to hang out with the interviewee in the evening before they sleep so that they are a famililar face seen when woken up to be interviewer later on. This is based of fisher and gielsmans ECI where they foudn that building a rapport can help put witnesses at ease so that they do not use up cognitive processing with anxiety and can more accuratley recall information. So forth building a rapport can help Daryl reduce participant anxiety so that extraneous variables influencing recall of the video seen are reduced and the study is more valid. However building a rapport is time consuming and means that darly would have to allow more time for his study which may be impractical.

How is this? so you dont need to describe a full procedure but just give ideas about how the research can be delt with in general? :smile:

Yeah exactly like that! You don't need a full procedure, just a range of points and full elaboration of them. An examiner response on a candidate exemplar about Memon and Highman's study said: There is evidence of good application of knowledge and understanding to the scenario described. A number of factors which might affect the collection and processing of forensic
evidence are also effectively explored. The response is well structured and explanations are clear and are well elaborated on.

(AO2http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/304156-unit-03-criminal-psychology-candidate-style-answers.pdf
For a 10 mark questions, how many paragraphs or points should we make? I've been focusing on 2 really good points, then a brief conclusion. Is that enough?
Original post by DrawTheLine
For a 10 mark questions, how many paragraphs or points should we make? I've been focusing on 2 really good points, then a brief conclusion. Is that enough?

If you can do two in full detail thats good but if you can aim for 3! write around one side of a4 I think
Did anyone else think there wasn't enough time to write good quality answers in that exam?
Did anyone else think there wasn't enough time to write good quality answers in that exam?

yeah i agree i always struggle with timings for this one even with so much practise. stuck rigidly to time for section a and child but thinking time in criminal took too long as the qs weren't that broad
how do u think ill do with a part B answer for child that was 2 massive PEELs with lots of explanation, suggestions etc and small rushed conclusion. i was planning to come back for a third peel but knew it wouldn't happen bc of time so just rushed a conc
For the mental health question about the characteristics of a psychotic disorder, was it ok to narrow it down to schizophrenia?
As we were only taught one specific example
Original post by MapleMaypole
For the mental health question about the characteristics of a psychotic disorder, was it ok to narrow it down to schizophrenia?

Yeah I narrowed it down to schizophrenia!
In my opinion that exam made up so much for the **** i wrote in the past exams! Quite happy with the prediction of Raine in Criminal Psych :colone:

Just making sure, for part B I used more than one study to back up my points. Was I meant to just stick purely to the key research?

Also the last question for Criminal psych was a bit of a throw off when they said 'biological'. I wrote Lewinsons plastic surgery (even though I have 0 idea how that would ever work), nutrition and I made up a ridiculous point about how because we know that the ventral striatum is in charge of rewards and risk etc, get the family not to reinforce violent or aggressive behaviour to reduce the influence of that part of the brain in later life it was just so much bs xD

That's what I did because I didn't see any other way to get 5 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ffs I got it mixed up with an affective disorder.
Original post by fudgecake7777
yeah i agree i always struggle with timings for this one even with so much practise. stuck rigidly to time for section a and child but thinking time in criminal took too long as the qs weren't that broad

I had 45 minutes to go and I hadn't even finished child yet, let alone started criminal. I'm worried the examiners won't be able to read my writing.
Reply 536
I ran out of paper and there was none left in my exam what should I do?
I had 45 minutes to go and I hadn't even finished child yet, let alone started criminal. I'm worried the examiners won't be able to read my writing.

No believe me they will, that's their job so they're used to it (plus theyve always seen worse) I thought the same with English last year (my handwriting was trash) and it came back with a very unexpected grade!
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Yeah I narrowed it down to schizophrenia!
In my opinion that exam made up so much for the **** i wrote in the past exams! Quite happy with the prediction of Raine in Criminal Psych :colone:

Just making sure, for part B I used more than one study to back up my points. Was I meant to just stick purely to the key research?

Also the last question for Criminal psych was a bit of a throw off when they said 'biological'. I wrote Lewinsons plastic surgery (even though I have 0 idea how that would ever work), nutrition and I made up a ridiculous point about how because we know that the ventral striatum is in charge of rewards and risk etc, get the family not to reinforce violent or aggressive behaviour to reduce the influence of that part of the brain in later life it was just so much bs xD

The section B's from Crime and Sport threw me off quite a bit! I hadn't really practiced them so sort of just rambled my way through!
But I tried to use more than one study, can't remember if I did or not though!!

And for Part C I mentioned Lewinsons and using some drugs. Although I hadn't learnt about that, so sort of just went down a biological approach of suppressing some hormones/chemicals which could lead to crime.
Original post by Kholmes1
ffs I got it mixed up with an affective disorder.

Ahhh that's annoying!
Luckily, some of the characteristics are quite similar so you can still get some marks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest