The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yaknow
Has anyone got any sample questions from mocks etc for tragedy and social/political?

I've done all of this AQA mocks so trying to think of one too!
I've not practised a single unseen poem all year and hate two of the texts I've studied for this paper (one of which I haven't even finished). Tomorrow and Thursday are going to be very long...
Reply 162
I'm going Good News, Mariner and Oliver Twist for crime.

Anyone got any last minute ideas for revision?
Anyone doing Blake, The Handmaid's Tale and The Kite Runner? :smile:
Original post by mughushed
Anyone doing Blake, The Handmaid's Tale and The Kite Runner? :smile:

Me! I love The Kite Runner, it's so great! I also like The Handmaid's Tale, but I feel like I haven't fully unlocked all it's secrets as it's such a rich, dense text. Atwood is a genius. Blake's pretty good too, but as it's poetry, it's quite 'bitty'.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Me! I love The Kite Runner, it's so great! I also like The Handmaid's Tale, but I feel like I haven't fully unlocked all it's secrets as it's such a rich, dense text. Atwood is a genius. Blake's pretty good too, but as it's poetry, it's quite 'bitty'.

How did you find it?? I did the Blake single question and loved it, and the force question for Handmaid's and Kite Runner because you could interpret 'force' in so many different ways
How did you find it?? I did the Blake single question and loved it, and the force question for Handmaid's and Kite Runner because you could interpret 'force' in so many different ways

I did the Blake single question too, was such a good one to have! I did the authority question instead, think it went relatively ok... just glad it's done!
Original post by Americandream
I did the Blake single question too, was such a good one to have! I did the authority question instead, think it went relatively ok... just glad it's done!

I agree, the Blake question was perfect! Me too, I was so worried for that one

I went for The Kite Runner single question - The Handmaid's Tale one was awful - and did authority figures for Blake and THT
I went for The Kite Runner single question - The Handmaid's Tale one was awful - and did authority figures for Blake and THT

Wasn't it just, like there's hardly anything to write about Moira :frown: Ah nice!
Wasn't it just, like there's hardly anything to write about Moira :frown: Ah nice!

Yeah. I mean, I know she's an important character, but she plays quite a minor role. I couldn't have written about her for a whole hour! How did you find the unseen? It was full of things to write about, but since I read Fahrenheit 451 only a few months ago, I had to resist the temptation to talk about the rest of the book!
Yeah. I mean, I know she's an important character, but she plays quite a minor role. I couldn't have written about her for a whole hour! How did you find the unseen? It was full of things to write about, but since I read Fahrenheit 451 only a few months ago, I had to resist the temptation to talk about the rest of the book!

I really quite liked it, I found some solid points to write about so that's good! Haha that's such a coincidence! I'm actually quite surprised they chose such a well-known novel, but v thankful for it :smile:
Wonderful exam (I did political and social protest).
Firstly, I've not practised a single unseen extract all year, yet that unseen was actually quite good, lot's to talk about with the mentioning of black skies, asylums, burning of books, America etc.
As for section B, I did the question on William Blake which was quite straight forward, talking about capitalism, nature, organised religion/education, protest etc.
Section C also went very well, which was surprising as I still haven't read all of 'The Kite Runner' and I hate 'A Doll's House'. I did the question regarding the use of force, which was actually quite easy to write about.

Overall, I'd say both exams were wonderful and I'm hopeful of at least a B overall. Good luck to everyone moving on to higher education and congratulations on completing the course!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by srdavison123
Wonderful exam (I did political and social protest).
Firstly, I've not practised a single unseen extract all year, yet that unseen was actually quite, lot's to talk about with the mentioning of black skies, asylums, burning of books, America etc.
As for section B, I did the question on William Blake which was quite straight forward, talking about capitalism, nature, organised religion/education, protest tc.
Section C also went very well, which was surprising as I still haven't read all of 'The Kite Runner' and I hate 'A Doll's House'. I did the question regarding the use of force, which was actually quite easy to write about.

Overall, I'd say both exams were wonderful and I'm hopeful of at least a B overall. Good luck to everyone moving on to higher education and congratulations on completing the course!

What did you write for the force Q? We both did the Kite Runner :smile: I thought it was kinda easier in the fact that it didn't specify 'physical' force so you could interpret 'force' in different ways lol e.g. force of oppression
Agreed, It allowed me to use force more metaphorically than actually physically.
I mentioned how Amir oppressed Hassan with his ability to read and write, and the forced upon guilt and blood on the hands of Amir after his death. Baba forcing his ideals of standing up for yourself on Amir, and of course the rape of Hassan/Afghanistan by Assef/Taliban.
Original post by srdavison123
Agreed, It allowed me to use force more metaphorically than actually physically.
I mentioned how Amir oppressed Hassan with his ability to read and write, and the forced upon guilt and blood on the hands of Amir after his death. Baba forcing his ideals of standing up for yourself on Amir, and of course the rape of Hassan/Afghanistan by Assef/Taliban.

Ahh, completely forgot about the rape (despite it being so pivotal) but I talked about Hassan and Amir too, and the Taliban
Reply 176
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the Section C question on Justice for elements of crime?

I did the same section C as you. What points did you talk about?? Also how many analytical paragraphs do you guys manage to write? And what do you think the boundary will be for A*?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I did the same section C as you. What points did you talk about?? Also how many analytical paragraphs do you guys manage to write? And what do you think the boundary will be for A*?

For Blake I talked about teachers in 'The Schoolboy', parents in 'Infant Sorrow', the Crown in 'London', the Church in 'London' and then the Church in 'Holy Thursday' (both of the poems of that title). For Handmaids I did the Commander and the Aunts (namely Aunt Lydia) and then I ran out of time to talk about the Angels/Eyes/Guardians.
For Blake I talked about teachers in 'The Schoolboy', parents in 'Infant Sorrow', the Crown in 'London', the Church in 'London' and then the Church in 'Holy Thursday' (both of the poems of that title). For Handmaids I did the Commander and the Aunts (namely Aunt Lydia) and then I ran out of time to talk about the Angels/Eyes/Guardians.

You wrote so much!! I only managed to write two rushed paragraphs for Blake. One on the Church in Garden of Love and London+Chimney Sweeper. I wrote 2 longer paragraphs on the Commander and Aunts/Serena Joy. Worried my Blake paragraphs will pull down my grade. So annoyed cause I love Blake so much lol

Latest

Trending

Trending