The Student Room Group

Further maths or computer science

I've just finished GCSEs, at A-level I'll be doing maths and physics, and either further maths or computer science.

I do an awful lot of computer science outside of school so I think that doing computer science would be quite a bit easier than further maths.

I want to do computer science at university, and I've heard that further maths is liked more than computer science at A-level for that.

Any opinions on what I should pick? And what about the possibility of all 4?
(I very much enjoy both subjects by the way)
Reply 1
Original post by Halberd
I've just finished GCSEs, at A-level I'll be doing maths and physics, and either further maths or computer science.

I do an awful lot of computer science outside of school so I think that doing computer science would be quite a bit easier than further maths.

I want to do computer science at university, and I've heard that further maths is liked more than computer science at A-level for that.

If you're planning on applying to universities like Imperial, UCL, Cambridge or Oxford then further maths is definitely better than computer science.

Personal advice, I am finishing my last exam next week for A levels and have done four - it is a struggle but if you have exceptional time management, willing to sacrifice your social life from day 1 then you have a good chance of passing. I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Eng Lit - applied to do CompSci offer from King's :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by Halberd

Do Further Maths; I'd recommend doing both but if its definitely between the 2 subjects take further maths.

Computer Science Courses are highly maths based so it's better to get exposed to as much maths as possible.

A level computer science will not give you any favor to admissions at university as not every Sixth Form offer it.

I'm sitting Physics, Further Maths, Computer Science, with my Firm as Durham and my insurance as Manchester.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Halberd

Honestly, I think you should stick with the subject you think you will do well at. Even though they might recommend choosing FM but you'd rather get a better grade than not. Have you considered my choosing both or dropping Physics then choosing both of them?
Reply 4
Original post by amy4121
If you're planning on applying to universities like Imperial, UCL, Cambridge or Oxford then further maths is definitely better than computer science.

Personal advice, I am finishing my last exam next week for A levels and have done four - it is a struggle but if you have exceptional time management, willing to sacrifice your social life from day 1 then you have a good chance of passing. I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Eng Lit - applied to do CompSci offer from King's :smile:

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the advice, I don't think I could handle the workload of 4 A-levels though lol.
Good luck in your exam.
Reply 5
Original post by Frankly Shankly
Do Further Maths; I'd recommend doing both but if its definitely between the 2 subjects take further maths.

Computer Science Courses are highly maths based so it's better to get exposed to as much maths as possible.

A level computer science will not give you any favor to admissions at university as not every Sixth Form offer it.

I'm sitting Physics, Further Maths, Computer Science, with my Firm as Durham and my insurance as Manchester.

Thanks for the advice, looks like further maths is the best choice.
Reply 6
Original post by S2M
Honestly, I think you should stick with the subject you think you will do well at. Even though they might recommend choosing FM but you'd rather get a better grade than not. Have you considered my choosing both or dropping Physics then choosing both of them?

I think I could get very good grades in both, it would just be a matter the effort needed to get there.

I don't think I have the strength to do 4, but why would physics be dropped? I thought that it was very well regarded for computer science at uni
Original post by Halberd

That seems to be the case for the 'top' universities. You may even need to do STEP.

I did all four, but a long time ago. I found CS easy, but did spend a lot of time on my main project. The combination of Maths and FM isn't really two 'A' levels, so that makes it more manageable, and also ties-in well with Physics.

If you have a feel for how things work, Physics is basically just maths too:
https://xkcd.com/435/

(edited 6 years ago)
Further maths is looked for more by unis. So if you have a passion for it , build on it in your spare time . Because let me tell you , maths physics and further maths are so linked . The mechanics module in maths you can do with just the knowledge you learn in physics just bar about 2 sections .
Reply 9
Original post by Halberd
I think I could get very good grades in both, it would just be a matter the effort needed to get there.

I don't think I have the strength to do 4, but why would physics be dropped? I thought that it was very well regarded for computer science at uni

I guess Physics is. As well as this, Maths and FM are more required and recommend than CompSci. I'd say to rule CompSci out then since no university really requires it. Maths, FM and Physics then.
Reply 10
Original post by S2M
I guess Physics is. As well as this, Maths and FM are more required and recommend than CompSci. I'd say to rule CompSci out then since no university really requires it. Maths, FM and Physics then.

Thank you very much
Reply 11
Original post by Halberd
Thank you very much

No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest