The Student Room Group

Can I redo my AS components in summer along with A2?

OK so i have miserably failed my maths and chemistry AS papers and I want to know if I can redo them next summer when taking the A2 components.
Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Reply 1
Are you doing the new specification for Chemistry? If so then you wont need to retake as the AS doesnt contribute to the final grade anyway. If maths is the old specification then you will be able to retake.
Reply 2
For Maths can re-sit AS units alongside A2 units.
For Chemistry there is only AS and A level and there is absolutely no point re-sitting AS if you are taking A level Chemistry.
Gender 16 marker was unfair. The spec states biological and social explanations and then they question us on psychological explanations - very unfair and seems like they are trying to catch us our rather than test our understanding. What's the point of learning the spec!
Original post by amiaxo99
OK so i have miserably failed my maths and chemistry AS papers and I want to know if I can redo them next summer when taking the A2 components.
Any help would be appreciated thanks!

You can retake Maths alongside A2. You'll do the retakes (e.g C2) alongside C3, C4 etc.
Chemistry on the other hand there is no point, the AS grade does not count as part of the A2 grade, so when you do second year Chemistry it wouldn't matter if you had an A or an E at AS because they do not average out your papers for the 1st and 2nd year. Doing AS with the new spec is really only to give unis an idea of how well you do, and it can be a basis of your A2 predictions for applying to uni. Only some courses still require you to do AS Levels.
If you do poor but well enough for your college, sixth form to continue to take you on then you would only be required to retake Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by slowdive
You can retake Maths alongside A2. You'll do the retakes (e.g C2) alongside C3, C4 etc.
Chemistry on the other hand there is no point, the AS grade does not count as part of the A2 grade, so when you do second year Chemistry it wouldn't matter if you had an A or an E at AS because they do not average out your papers for the 1st and 2nd year. Doing AS with the new spec is really only to give unis an idea of how well you do, and it can be a basis of your A2 predictions for applying to uni. Only some courses still require you to do AS Levels.
If you do poor but well enough for your college, sixth form to continue to take you on then you would only be required to retake Maths.

I dont get it. Since when do the chemistry AS components not count in the final A level grade? In the syllabus it shows the AS result is carried forward and weighs 50% of the final grade. Please explain im a bit confused
I dont get it. Since when do the chemistry AS components not count in the final A level grade? In the syllabus it shows the AS result is carried forward and weighs 50% of the final grade. Please explain im a bit confused

For my spec, this is not true. I do OCR A 2017 but perhaps you're doing the old spec? The spec changed last year for all new students. At the end of A2 you do 3 exams and they are the only exams to count for your final A Level grade.
Reply 7

What exam board Is Chemistry?

It's a confusing situation. For A levels in England, most subjects have been updated to be Linear assessments with all of the 2 years study tested at the end. The final batch of subjects change for teaching in September. International A levels are unaffected by the change and are still modular where the AS exams are half of the A level. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are going through an independent process of reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
It's a confusing situation. For A levels in England, most subjects have been updated to be Linear assessments with all of the 2 years study tested at the end. The final batch of subjects change for teaching in September. International A levels are unaffected by the change and are still modular where the AS exams are half of the A level. A levels in Wales and Northern Ireland are going through an independent process of reform.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. Im talking about the internation A levels then. Appreciate this thank you
Oh I see. Im talking about the internation A levels then. Appreciate this thank you

You can retake some Edexcel IAL AS exams in October, most in January and all in summer next year. If its CIE international A levels then you have a choice of November or next summer.

Quick Reply

Latest