The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CeltyV
I was aiming for an A* and I'm not sure whether I'll make it. I found it more challenging than the past papers I've done before... I messed up Q7 because I didn't realise dh/dt is negative :frown:

And I split that integral into two integrals and integrated one of them by parts and the other by deduction.

Edit: Edexcel?

Yeah edexcel and deduction ffs, yeh I see it now as sec goes to tan.. ffs

And I wouldn't worry about 7 at most you'll have lost 2 A1 marks for that, can easily still get A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Strimpy
Thought C4 exam today was very decent if anyone else took it? Pretty confident of the A I needed now 😁

Only question that was really challenging I thought was 8, how were you meant to integrate the last bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I thought it was pretty good too! So much better than C3. Fingers crossed for the A* I wanted!
Original post by CeltyV
I was aiming for an A* and I'm not sure whether I'll make it. I found it more challenging than the past papers I've done before... I messed up Q7 because I didn't realise dh/dt is negative :frown:

And I split that integral into two integrals and integrated one of them by parts and the other by deduction.

Edit: Edexcel?

I used the same method for the integral... Did the first bit by parts and the second bit by inspection. 👍
Original post by an_atheist
which exam board? OCR was alright, just a differntial equation that I couldnt get and the location of a pioint on a vector (about 12 marks total). Should manage to get 80+ UMS after that, but I'm not confident I'm going to get A* maths now

Sorry I was edexcel and if you did well enough in C3 it should still add up right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What gcse grades did you all get?
I didn't sit the paper this year but last year we had to sign a declaration to say that we hadn't seen the paper and it appears the paper has been leaked yet again. This kind of thing is so annoying for people that have worked hard for a year to end up with the same grade as others who have just cheated. I wonder if edexcel are going to do anything to stop it this time?
Original post by Strimpy
Sorry I was edexcel and if you did well enough in C3 it should still add up right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefullu I did well enough in C3 to get that 180 UMS total, but for now its looking like GG Cambridge.
Original post by k.russell
anyone feeling brave enough to predict maths ums?

Spoiler

C1 - 95
C2 - 100
S1 - 30
C3 - 100
C4 - 96
S2 - not done yet but need like 50
Funny thing is maths isn't even specified in my offer I just don't want a B lmao
Original post by WhiteScythe
I didn't sit the paper this year but last year we had to sign a declaration to say that we hadn't seen the paper and it appears the paper has been leaked yet again. This kind of thing is so annoying for people that have worked hard for a year to end up with the same grade as others who have just cheated. I wonder if edexcel are going to do anything to stop it this time?

have you got any evidence that it was actually leaked? the supposed "evidence" of the C3 exam leak was a clearly (and rather poorly) photoshopped pic of a twitter convo - clearly fake, trying to scam students into paying for the C4 paper
Original post by unknowntsr
C1 - 95
C2 - 100
S1 - 30
C3 - 100
C4 - 96
S2 - not done yet but need like 50
Funny thing is maths isn't even specified in my offer I just don't want a B lmao

Haha we both bombed S1
Reply 3209

It hasn't.
Original post by Doonesbury
It hasn't.

That is contrary to what I have heard from a large number of people but you obviously know better
Reply 3211
That is contrary to what I have heard from a large number of people but you obviously know better

It has been comprehensively debunked a number of times on the various Maths threads on TSR, and elsewhere.

And if it was true Edexcel would have a public statement about it. They don't.
e.g they acknowledged leaks/breachs in prior years - notably when there was a problem with the early release of papers in Egypt in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18425283

It didn't happen this year. :smile:

Original post by Strimpy
have you got any evidence that it was actually leaked? the supposed "evidence" of the C3 exam leak was a clearly (and rather poorly) photoshopped pic of a twitter convo - clearly fake, trying to scam students into paying for the C4 paper

And people called the number and the very confused person on the end of the line didn't know anything about it.

Yup, fake.
(edited 6 years ago)
It has been comprehensively debunked a number of times on the various Maths threads on TSR, and elsewhere.

And if it was true Edexcel would have a public statement about it. They don't.
e.g they acknowledged leaks/breachs in prior years - notably when there was a problem with the early release of papers in Egypt in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18425283

It didn't happen this year. :smile:

And people called the number and the very confused person on the end of the line didn't know anything about it.

Yup, fake.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/allegations-of-malpractice-in-edexcels-c4-maths-paper

Why have OFQUAL commented on it then? Is that standard or could it actually have been leaked?
Reply 3213
Original post by HopelessMedic
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/allegations-of-malpractice-in-edexcels-c4-maths-paper

Why have OFQUAL commented on it then? Is that standard or could it actually have been leaked?

Interesting - I hadn't seen that. But we were talking about C3 not C4.

Good spot though...

Good spot though...

Ah ok. Do you know if they normally put out statements regarding rumours of a leak or only if there's actual evidence?
Reply 3215
Original post by HopelessMedic
Ah ok. Do you know if they normally put out statements regarding rumours of a leak or only if there's actual evidence?

I think there would have to be more to it than a photoshopped tweet. :wink:

I wasn't aware of the C4 "issue" until you noted it, I've passed it on to colleagues at TSR Towers :smile:

Thanks again!

Edit: Edexcel's response. Panic is not required :smile:

Attachment not found

Edit: link to tweet as the image appears to break...
https://twitter.com/Edexcel/status/878233810537762820
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3216
It seems it's not just A-levels that have problems... any Medics around?

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/13271
Original post by Obiejess
I carried on English, so it always makes me nervous that it's going to mess things up again. The beautiful university of York - which really is gorgeous - but it isn't Cambridge :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must admit I'm looking at York for when I end up in clearing... I don't even think I'm going to my insurance. Thought it was too far away for me (I live quite close to the south coast) but having booked to go to Manchester and York by train with the family this summer It doesn't seem as far as I thought - probably because it's less than 4 hours by train

Good spot though...

No we were talking about C4...
WHAT IF YOU ONLY JUST MISS YOUR OFFER?

My understanding is that the Cambridge summer pool is for those who were made conditional offers in January but who just missed them on results day, and that the this pool happens the day after results are released and lasts for one day only.

I suspect that, more than any other year, the summer pool is on the thoughts of a few in this group due to the uncertainties brought about by changes to A-levels, etc.

I have a number of questions the answers to which might clarify for those seeking knowledge of the pool process and decision making. My questions might need the input of Cambridge ATs:

1. Is there a definition of what constitutes an offer near miss?

2. To what extent does a near miss that includes a very good mark for the subject being applied for, matter?

3. If you have a near miss, does your college tell you that you are in the summer pool and, if so, how is this communicated?

4. When is the result of the summer pool communicated to students?

5. If you elect to have a result remarked does that exclude you from the summer pool?

6. If you elect for a remark does it mean that you then have to obtain the full offer as originated in January?

Many thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending