The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Product Design June 26th 2017

hello :smile:

I've looked for ages about this exam and can't find anything so I'm starting a thread.

anyone know exactly what we have to learn for Section A of the exam?
I'm fine with Section B (I'm doing the tubular steel products and the maclaren buggy) because the questions are always the same (questions 4 and 5 I mean) so I feel more prepared... but section A?? I have no clue what we need to learn
Original post by geeorgie
hello :smile:

I've looked for ages about this exam and can't find anything so I'm starting a thread.

anyone know exactly what we have to learn for Section A of the exam?
I'm fine with Section B (I'm doing the tubular steel products and the maclaren buggy) because the questions are always the same (questions 4 and 5 I mean) so I feel more prepared... but section A?? I have no clue what we need to learn

Have you come up with set answers for the maclaren buggy and tubular steel products?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Moltenmo
Have you come up with set answers for the maclaren buggy and tubular steel products?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, here you go: (I used the website technologystudent.com)

Trendsetter: Folding tubular steel products

Explain why this trendsetter has been so influential. [6 marks]

Started in the 1920s and 1930s with the Bauhaus and their innovative use of steel tube

Marcel Breuer designed the MB-118 chair in 1928 which had a modern and minimalist style. It involved the use of tubular steel and innovative industrial processes which influenced modern designers across the world.

Eileen Grey’s E1027 table was designed in 1929 and was influenced by the Breuer chair. It was just as innovative.

The Grey table and the Breuer chair broke new ground and set a high standard for those wishing to emulate the modernist style.

The growth of modernist design movement was based on the use of modern materials such as steel tube. As this approach became more popular, the use of materials such as tubular steel saw an increase in use.

By the 1940s, Maclaren worked with aluminium tube and applied it to the B-01 folding pushchair.

After this, the use of tube in the design of folding equipment and furniture was expected and considered modern.

Iconic product: Maclaren B-01 buggy

Give two reasons why the product you have chosen has been so influential. Justify each answer. [4 marks]

B-01 buggy was the first folding pushchair and inspired other designers to follow suit. This meant there was a range of lightweight folding products. The high standard of his design and level of innovation set a high bench mark that other designers tried to meet. His buggy was a big improvement on past designs and set new standards in terms of the materials used, folding capabilities and aesthetics.

Maclaren’s use of the aluminium tube was new to the design of everyday products. After the B-01 buggy, aluminium was considered as the main material for many other products. The manufacturing techniques introduced by Maclaren have been utilised ever since. The product stood out from other similar products and is still in production today. It has stood the test of time.

Yes, here you go: (I used the website technologystudent.com)

Trendsetter: Folding tubular steel products

Explain why this trendsetter has been so influential. [6 marks]

Started in the 1920s and 1930s with the Bauhaus and their innovative use of steel tube

Marcel Breuer designed the MB-118 chair in 1928 which had a modern and minimalist style. It involved the use of tubular steel and innovative industrial processes which influenced modern designers across the world.

Eileen Grey’s E1027 table was designed in 1929 and was influenced by the Breuer chair. It was just as innovative.

The Grey table and the Breuer chair broke new ground and set a high standard for those wishing to emulate the modernist style.

The growth of modernist design movement was based on the use of modern materials such as steel tube. As this approach became more popular, the use of materials such as tubular steel saw an increase in use.

By the 1940s, Maclaren worked with aluminium tube and applied it to the B-01 folding pushchair.

After this, the use of tube in the design of folding equipment and furniture was expected and considered modern.

Iconic product: Maclaren B-01 buggy

Give two reasons why the product you have chosen has been so influential. Justify each answer. [4 marks]

B-01 buggy was the first folding pushchair and inspired other designers to follow suit. This meant there was a range of lightweight folding products. The high standard of his design and level of innovation set a high bench mark that other designers tried to meet. His buggy was a big improvement on past designs and set new standards in terms of the materials used, folding capabilities and aesthetics.

Maclaren’s use of the aluminium tube was new to the design of everyday products. After the B-01 buggy, aluminium was considered as the main material for many other products. The manufacturing techniques introduced by Maclaren have been utilised ever since. The product stood out from other similar products and is still in production today. It has stood the test of time.

What about "explain why this trend setter has been so influential?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What are the section 2 questions going to be.. and r u 100% sure.. so should i just revise the set answer for it?
Reply 5
Original post by itsaimm
What are the section 2 questions going to be.. and r u 100% sure.. so should i just revise the set answer for it?

the past 5 or so years question 4 has pretty much always been the same. question 5 is the design question so learn your key features of your iconic product and incorporate those into your design. question 3 will always be a comparison between a new and old product. question 1 and 2 will ask you about two separate products and you'll have to write stuff about it. not sure how to revise for questions 1-3 but for 4 I would just write out a set answer and learn it.
Reply 6
What about "explain why this trend setter has been so influential?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

the answer above basically explains it - the idea that was first explored in the trendsetter is used in a few products. name them, give examples etc. and then learn some background info about it and you'll be fine!
Reply 7
Thanks bro
the answer above basically explains it - the idea that was first explored in the trendsetter is used in a few products. name them, give examples etc. and then learn some background info about it and you'll be fine!

So have you memorised the set answers by now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So have you memorised the set answers by now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I had haha. going to learn them tonight and then focus on section A for tomorrow. (which, by the way, if anyone has any notes for, would be very helpful)
I wish I had haha. going to learn them tonight and then focus on section A for tomorrow. (which, by the way, if anyone has any notes for, would be very helpful)

I've learnt the set answers for the influence questions so I am ready for that section. Wanna test me? I'll type what I know so far without cheating lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest