The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Iftar is for Muslims and is an Islamic event. Especially calling it a 'gay' iftar is quite offensive to an event that means a lot to Muslims around the world.
Original post by desaf1
Iftar is for Muslims and is an Islamic event. Especially calling it a 'gay' iftar is quite offensive to an event that means a lot to Muslims around the world.

many members of the Ummah are gay, so why should they not be allowed to have a special day ?
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Excellent news. However, sad reality is that many Muslims, including many on this website, will denounce such events as being unIslamic, blasphemous and sinful. Does matter though, the tide will turn, with or without these people.

Oh it does matter? Thanks a lot for caring, so glad you agree!
Reply 4
Original post by desaf1

Well I guess that's all the reward in Ramadan gone. What a shame.
Original post by desaf1

So 'gay' people are 'offensive' to you? Not exactly showing inclusion like this event aims to do?
Original post by desaf1

Many Muslims around the world are gay and iftar is an important event for them too. You are essentially saying iftar isn't for Muslims who are gay. Your unwillingness to accept their sexuality is offensive to them.
Original post by HAnwar

So associating with gay people, who you don't know have actually committed gay acts or just self-identify as being attracted to the same-sex, means your divine score goes down?
Original post by The Epicurean
Many Muslims around the world are gay and iftar is an important event for them too. You are essentially saying iftar isn't for Muslims who are gay. Your unwillingness to accept their sexuality is offensive to them.

They are #notTrueMuslims I guess
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Just let them share a meal man, you make us look bad when you show a lack of willingness to integrate

There's a difference between "integrating" and doing something that is clearly wrong in Islam.
Reply 10
Original post by Iridocyclitis
So associating with gay people, who you don't know have actually committed gay acts or just self-identify as being attracted to the same-sex, means your divine score goes down?

Ok serious question here, no hate, but what are they achieving by calling it gay? Surely they're the ones that are separating themselves in this case. When we have Eid parties we don't label ourselves as anything so why are they doing this?
Original post by HAnwar
Ok serious question here, no hate, but what are they achieving by calling it gay? Surely they're the ones that are separating themselves in this case. When we have Eid parties we don't label ourselves as anything so why are they doing this?

What's wrong with calling it gay?

The whole point is apparently bringing together Muslims and LGBT people, hence the title being something related to LGBT people 'gay' and something related to Muslims 'Iftaar' - combine the two and you get 'gay iftaar'.
Original post by HAnwar

Original post by theoneandonlybob
There's a difference between "integrating" and doing something that is clearly wrong in Islam.

Whats wrong with sitting down for a meal with them tbh?
They are talking about just the eating part?
even if you disagree, a meal is not that deep
Original post by theoneandonlybob

I thought it was gay acts which were wrong as opposed to simply being gay, i.e. attracted to the same sex?

Out of interest, why do mosques 'integrate' with homeless drug users and alcoholics but cannot integrate with gay people by your logic?
Reply 14
What's wrong with calling it gay?

The whole point is apparently bringing together Muslims and LGBT people, hence the title being something related to LGBT people 'gay' and something related to Muslims 'Iftaar' - combine the two and you get 'gay iftaar'.

Ok I misunderstood that and thought it was talking about Eid my bad.

But iftar is even worse especially in the month of Ramadan.
Really don't understand why people are offended by this lol
Reply 16
Original post by the bear
many members of the Ummah are gay, so why should they not be allowed to have a special day ?

Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Whats wrong with sitting down for a meal with them tbh? They are talking about just the eating part? even if you disagree, a meal is not that deep

In Islam homosexuality is forbidden.
I thought it was gay acts which were wrong as opposed to simply being gay, i.e. attracted to the same sex?

Out of interest, why do mosques 'integrate' with homeless drug users and alcoholics but cannot integrate with gay people by your logic?

Are you really trying to compare homosexuality and homeless drug users?
We are taught to help those in need and most homeless drug users have no one to help quell there addiction, But homosexuals willingly choose to do such acts.
Original post by desaf1

This is exactly the kind of attitude that shows muslims will never accept homosexuals
Reply 19

Same sex attraction is also sinful. Of course we are all sinners. We've all lied and disrespected people and whatnot.

Latest