The Student Room Group

TOEFL for uk visa

hi eveyone , I m an international ( non eu ) student I am about to graduate from mechanical engineering ( in my country) , i plan to apply for masters in uk ( mba msc mangment or meng) i plan to take TOEFL test because IELTS test centers are located in 5 or 6 cities in our country whereas toefl ones are located in every city but according to my reascerch there are some problems about using toefl for uk visa specially in terms of conditional offerings , if take conditional offer from universities that accept toefl ( for exp manchester met) interms of foundation year due to having lower gpa then required or pre master session due to having lower toefl ibt score than required. shortly can i use my toefl score for conditional offer.
Each Uni will have a different attitude towards TOEFL - some will not accept it because the test centres are not considered 'secure' and they cannot necessarily trust the results. IELTS is considered secure/more trusted therefore is used by more Unis.

You will have to contact each Uni to see what they accept. If you have a school based qualification in English they may be able to accept that.
Reply 2
thanks returnmigrant , the universities that i plan to apply accept toefl for exp manchester met university but my question is about visa issue it is said that toefl only can used for degree courses with unconditional accaptance not for pre sessional or fundation . my qustion begins from that , manchester met wants 89 from toefl 6.5 from ielts if i take 6 or 5.5 i can take pre master courses or assuming if they want % 70 avarage gpa but i have %60 with ielts i can take pre courses because of english or academic issues . but can i have this with toefl for instance if i have 80 instead of 89 still can i take pre master
Reply 3
Original post by khannnnn
thanks returnmigrant , the universities that i plan to apply accept toefl for exp manchester met university but my question is about visa issue it is said that toefl only can used for degree courses with unconditional accaptance not for pre sessional or fundation . my qustion begins from that , manchester met wants 89 from toefl 6.5 from ielts if i take 6 or 5.5 i can take pre master courses or assuming if they want % 70 avarage gpa but i have %60 with ielts i can take pre courses because of english or academic issues . but can i have this with toefl for instance if i have 80 instead of 89 still can i take pre master

In order to qualify for a Tier 4 Study Visa, you need a qualification from an approved test centre, which are listed here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/618323/2017-06-01_-_Approved_Secure_English_Language_Tests_and_Test_Centres.pdf

All of the listed test centres outside the UK, are IELTS. If you take a test at a centre not on this list, you won't get a study visa. Unis may have additional or different requirements.
Reply 4
you mean that although the uni accept toefl i cant get visa with toefl

Read this : https://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/study-in-the-uk/latest-news/toefl-no-longer-accepted-in-uk-student-visa-applications/
Reply 6

Based on the UK government list I linked to, that would seem to be the case. You can only get a study visa if you use one of the test centres on that list. All of the test centres listed outside the UK, are IELTS.

You must use an approved provider in order to get a visa:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english
Reply 7
From what I understand, you can still get a Tier 4 visa with only the TOEFL test, as long as your university accepts it and issues you a CAS (confirmation of acceptance for studies) based only on the TOEFL for english proficiency purposes.

Original post by Klix88
Based on the UK government list I linked to, that would seem to be the case. You can only get a study visa if you use one of the test centres on that list. All of the test centres listed outside the UK, are IELTS.

You must use an approved provider in order to get a visa:
https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/knowledge-of-english
Reply 8

hi guys I ve newly done my mechanical engineering degree in Turkey and plan to apply universities but I do not have ielts score I have toefl score 84 (R22 S23 L21 W18) my score is okay for some instutions which require ielts6 =toef80 but for some universities it is not enough some want ielts6=toefl 88or87 ; ielts6,5 =toefl88-92

as you know for ielts if you miss sharply ( taking 6 instead of 6,5 for exp ) you can utilize pre sessional course to start main program . according to my research TOEFL can be used by universities for degree or or above degree courses via direct entry but secondly acording to my research if university provide you JOÄ°NT CAS ( joint academic and pre sessional offer) you can use your sharply missed TOEFL score even though TOEFL IBT exam and ETS ( provider ) are not regarded as a SELT test and SELT provider . are there any student like me suffering due to this situation ? are second way not known or practiced by university ? ( few of them told me that they can do that )
Reply 9

hi guys I ve newly done my mechanical engineering degree in Turkey and lplan to apply universities but I do not have ielts score I have toefl score 84 (R22 S23 L21 W18) my score is okay for some instutions which require ielts6 =toef80 but for some universities it is not enough some want ielts6=toefl 88or87 ; ielts6,5 =toefl88-92

as you know for ielts if you miss sharply ( taking 6 instead of 6,5 for exp ) you can utilize pre sessional course to start main program . according to my research TOEFL can be used by universities for degree or or above degree courses via direct entry but secondly acording to my research if university provide you JOINT CAS ( joint academic and pre sessional offer) you can use your sharply missed TOEFL score even though TOEFL IBT exam and ETS ( provider ) are not regarded as a SELT test and SELT provider . are there any student like me suffering due to this situation ? are second way not known or practiced by universites ? ( few of them told me that they can do that )
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10

hi guys I ve newly done my mechanical engineering degree in Turkey and plan to apply universities but I do not have ielts score I have toefl score 84 (R22 S23 L21 W18) my score is okay for some instutions which require ielts6 =toef80 but for some universities it is not enough some want ielts6=toefl 88or87 ; ielts6,5 =toefl88-92

as you know for ielts if you miss sharply ( taking 6 instead of 6,5 for exp ) you can utilize pre sessional course to start main program . according to my research TOEFL can be used by universities for degree or or above degree courses via direct entry but secondly acording to my research if university provide you JOÄ°NT CAS ( joint academic and pre sessional offer) you can use your sharply missed TOEFL score even though TOEFL IBT exam and ETS ( provider ) are not regarded as a SELT test and SELT provider . are there any student like me suffering due to this situation ? are second way not known or practiced by university ? ( few of them told me that they can do that )
If the university accepts TOEFL exam, you need to clarify will they write in your CAS that Higher Education Institution (HEI) sponsor has
made assessment? If yes, it should not be a problem for visa application. I had the same situation, and was really worried about this.Valeriia.
Did you get your Student Visa with the TOEFL?
Original post by hallamstudents
If the university accepts TOEFL exam, you need to clarify will they write in your CAS that Higher Education Institution (HEI) sponsor has
made assessment? If yes, it should not be a problem for visa application. I had the same situation, and was really worried about this.Valeriia.
Reply 13
If you still need some sacred tips that will really be helpful i’m here to help please don’t hesitate. You won’t be dissatisfied.

Latest

Trending

Trending