The Student Room Group

History alevel OCR new spec

Hi what does it mean by 'themes' when writing essay question? I've read a lot about using themes in tsr threads in history essays to get the highest marks.
Can someone explain it to me , because my teacher hasn't never discussed it and how would I apply it for example In my topic , I'm doing civil rights in USA 1865-1992
Original post by 1_Zainn_
Hi what does it mean by 'themes' when writing essay question? I've read a lot about using themes in tsr threads in history essays to get the highest marks.
Can someone explain it to me , because my teacher hasn't never discussed it and how would I apply it for example In my topic , I'm doing civil rights in USA 1865-1992

Themes in a history essay are essentially the over-arching arguments that are explored during the time period.
Now I didn't study that module, but I did Tudors 1485 to 1558, and examples of themes for an essay might include threats to the throne, foreign or domestic policy, etc. etc.
Typically one paragraph in the essay will cover one theme, and higher marked essays will attempt to link these themes and make the essay flow more fluently.

Quick Reply

Latest