The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Biology - A2 Essay question

Poll

Essay question Prediction

For the Mark Scheme of the essay question in the specimen it states that it is in the mark band range of 16-20 (relational) if it includes "one significant error and, or, one irrelevant topic which detracts from the overall quality of the answer."

Implying you would get more marks if you did not add that additional point? So pro tip: do not waffle in the question or you loose marks!

Also my prediction for the essay questions is a cycle; either Kreb cycle or hopefully the Nitrogen cycle

Scroll to see replies

Additionally I think the obvious hardest part about this question is having to know so much about the topic to write about that many points, and as there are several topics which can come up It probably would be best to practice these topics as essay questions
What sort of 'kerb cycle' or nitrogen cycle question are we talking about here. One about cycles in general? What would you think a title is that includes these topics
Reply 3
My teacher said something about making links between points that you make in the synoptic essay for a top band which is absolutely idiotic seeing as we have SO MUCH to learn anyway :s
Original post by LADIDAH12
My teacher said something about making links between points that you make in the synoptic essay for a top band which is absolutely idiotic seeing as we have SO MUCH to learn anyway :s

I feel like if you understand the topic fully it can be easy to link the points, what i will do is use the first 3 plans for a quick plan where i plan what bullet points to write and in what order to make my final essay structural and neat. And good luck on monday :smile:
Original post by YAREYOUSOSMELLY
What sort of 'kerb cycle' or nitrogen cycle question are we talking about here. One about cycles in general? What would you think a title is that includes these topics

I find it hard to word the questions, once from the specimen is:

"Write an essay on one of the topics below.

EITHER The importance of movement in living organisms. [25 marks]

OR The importance of receptors in living organisms. "

and the set 2 papers is to do with water in organism (In organisms seems to be a major theme in these essay questions)

So i similar on could be something like "Explain the use of Nitrogen in living organisms"

But I've never been good at writing questions lol :biggrin:
Another comment I want to make is that the set 1 papers essay questions are A2 topics where as set 2 papers are AS topics. Remember to revise both sections and the major processes as they are most likely to come up as essay questions.

Would everyone rather the essay question on AS or A2 :smile:
Original post by Kurt Cobain
Another comment I want to make is that the set 1 papers essay questions are A2 topics where as set 2 papers are AS topics. Remember to revise both sections and the major processes as they are most likely to come up as essay questions.

Would everyone rather the essay question on AS or A2 :smile:

AS definitely, but it would be good if they left some scope for A2 detail (for 'dem extra few marks!)
AS definitely, but it would be good if they left some scope for A2 detail (for 'dem extra few marks!)

Yeah, I hope that the essay is more brief to allow us to expand more points, however I fear that the briefer the point that they may expect you to cover all the other points which may be more difficult then expanding more on smaller points. And good luck Monday.
Yeah, I hope that the essay is more brief to allow us to expand more points, however I fear that the briefer the point that they may expect you to cover all the other points which may be more difficult then expanding more on smaller points. And good luck Monday.

Good luck to you too! I've managed to screw up the previous papers, so I'm just hoping an A* isn't out of reach yet.

For a cycle question there are so many topics which you could write about! We should be hoping for this essay really its a dream:

Mitosis

Krebs

Nitrogen/phosphorus

Calvin cycle

Muscle contraction

Cardiac cycle

Mass transport around the body

Nerve impulse

Synapse

PCR

Homeostasis of thermoregulation/osmoregulation etc

This would be such a good essay title
Additionally I think the obvious hardest part about this question is having to know so much about the topic to write about that many points, and as there are several topics which can come up It probably would be best to practice these topics as essay questions

I think it will be on transport but in a way in which you can include the ideas surrounding the kidneys and ADH etc
Original post by Zozaaaa
For a cycle question there are so many topics which you could write about! We should be hoping for this essay really its a dream:

Mitosis

Krebs

Nitrogen/phosphorus

Calvin cycle

Muscle contraction

Cardiac cycle

Mass transport around the body

Nerve impulse

Synapse

PCR

Homeostasis of thermoregulation/osmoregulation etc

This would be such a good essay title

Sure is a lot to talk about, however that is a lot of stuff to remember, which I know for sure I will not be able to write about all of them in depth right now!
Original post by nerdydaydreamer
I think it will be on transport but in a way in which you can include the ideas surrounding the kidneys and ADH etc

Interesting, If i could include transport of Plants with Kidneys and Haemoglobin then I may have a lot to write about. I definitely think that kidneys should be in this paper somewhere and therefore I shall revise it fully lol
Sure is a lot to talk about, however that is a lot of stuff to remember, which I know for sure I will not be able to write about all of them in depth right now!

I just did year 1 revision yesterday and year 2 today, tomorrow is past papers, practicing essays, all the required practicals
Original post by Zozaaaa
I just did year 1 revision yesterday and year 2 today, tomorrow is past papers, practicing essays, all the required practicals

Very good planning! I think practising for me defilement is the best way to revise days before the exam, I have however gone over the predicted essay questions to ensure I know all the key-terms and in what order processes happens. Good luck Monday!
Essay question:
"A cycle is a biological pathway or process in which the end product of one cycle becomes the starting point for the next. Write an essay about cycles in biology"

(Quick plan I created and prepared for if Specifically the nitrogen cycle comes up)

Intro: (What the nitrogen cycle is, e.g The series of multiple processes linked together where Nitrogen is inter-converted in the environment and in living organisms)

Opening: Food chain (Plants absorb light, plants are eaten by animals, animals die therefore bacteria decompose them, Saprobionts are the name of the bacteria)

Ammonification: Explain process (Production of ammonia which comes from animal decomposing where Saprobionts release ammonia ions into soil)

Nitrofication: Explain process (Light is absorbed by organic compounds and bacteria takes the energy, oxidation reactions to the ammonium ions which result in nitrate ions)

Nitrogen fixation: Explain process (Free living and Mutualisitc bacteria reduces nitrogen gas to ammonia which is used for ammino acids)

Denitrification: Where nitrate is reduced and produces molecular nitrogen

Summary: Insert clichéd conclusion implying the process is repeated and recycled

Remember Keywords:

Nitrate

Free living

Mutualistic

Ammonification

Nitrofication

Fixtation

Denitrification

Decomposition

Recycled

(edited 6 years ago)
Quick plan I created and prepared for if Specificly the nitrogen cycle comes up:

Please give feedback on this as I am using it a revision tool myself. If you have created any other plans please feel free to share :tongue:
Reply 18
Please give feedback on this as I am using it a revision tool myself. If you have created any other plans please feel free to share :tongue:

That was great, although I seriously doubt something that simple will come up. Which other essays plans did you do? Were they on a thread on tsr?

Oh and are you going to bother going over the AS and A2 stuff again? This paper is pretty much gonna be on practicals and the essay so I don't think I will be going over all of it again.
Original post by RKM21
That was great, although I seriously doubt something that simple will come up. Which other essays plans did you do? Were they on a thread on tsr?

Oh and are you going to bother going over the AS and A2 stuff again? This paper is pretty much gonna be on practicals and the essay so I don't think I will be going over all of it again.

Yeah good point, but if something to do with cycles come up that could be added on top of another cycle such as the phosphorus cycle. But more for highlighting the structure of an essay should hopefully help.

I am now going to be planning a mass transport question most likely and this time I will do it from a question which someone posted on the student room (I will attach it to this)

Credit to this account for providing me with the essay questions:
Hajra Momoniat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending