The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I really liked the opening because it was different from the other episodes. I mean the special effects were so good and Bill was good, but the doctor was amazing as always.
like it tbh :closedeyes: they needed to do something to make it totally fresh and separate from the other moffat seasons which have all been pretty crap. Bill was alright (even if her name is slightly irritating like cmon 'bill pots' sounds like a flower pot man) just glad there is a normal companion and none of this magical girl from the doctors timeline nonsense. Hopefully if they keep it simple enough and not overdo it with the story arcs it will be a good season :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
like it tbh :closedeyes: they needed to do something to make it totally fresh and separate from the other moffat seasons which have all been pretty crap. Bill was alright (even if her name is slightly irritating like cmon 'bill pots' sounds like a flower pot man) just glad there is a normal companion and none of this magical girl from the doctors timeline nonsense. Hopefully if they keep it simple enough and not overdo it with the story arcs it will be a good season :smile:

:yep: It would be so nice to have a companion that the Doc didn't give birth to in another dimension, or that killed him 8 lives ago, or whatever. :yawn:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:yep: It would be so nice to have a companion that the Doc didn't give birth to in another dimension, or that killed him 8 lives ago, or whatever. :yawn:

loooool that summed it up brilliantly :rofl:
it's nice when they're just normal people, makes it seem like it could happen to any of us one day :moon: however lame that sounds :laugh:
I have a theory that master (simm) is in that vault and then something will happen and capaldi dies together with simm and then timey wimey and simm regenerates into missy
Very good episode. A little slow (though its a 2 party) but appropriately creepy with a good reveal.
Reply 5206
Original post by Rakas21
Very good episode. A little slow (though its a 2 party) but appropriately creepy with a good reveal.

I like how they correctly used general relativity :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you know that Bill is a lesbian?
Are you sure?
Just checking. I feel we need to explain it again though.

I'm all for LGBT characters on TV, but don't show it in our face; it completely detracts from being a part of their personality to a forced political correctness statement.

Extremis was a GREAT episode and really set the stage for what could have been an epic three-parter; shame the following two episodes were completely lackluster.

I enjoyed this episode; good build up to part two and Simm's Master being back is a nice touch (loving the goatee)! I'm going to miss Capaldi. :frown:
Original post by Rakas21

I've just seen the episode (recorded it earlier) and it was bloody brilliant. Previous episodes were... ...alright for a lack of better words but this was pure quality.
Bill's sexuality hasn't been forced or anything of the sort. What are you on about?
Such a terrible season, it was at its peak when episodes like "Blink" were coming out.

My 2 cents.

But yes this weeks looks like a bug jump in quality for the better.
Original post by Conceited
Bill's sexuality hasn't been forced or anything of the sort. What are you on about?

Pretty much every other episode makes some reference towards her sexuality. There is literally no need whatsoever and doesn't drive the story in any meaningful way. This fact of her personality is already established within the first seven minutes of the first episode.

I just think it serves no justice to the character or what they try to achieve when they make it a focal point. The best LGBT characters I have ever seen in media is when there are only subtle hints and no outright explanation, leaving it to the audience to work out for themselves rather than force a line in the script to explain it; storytellers don't make an effort to enforce a character's heterosexuality, so why is it necessary for anything else?

Like I said, featuring LGBT character is great. I love it, and I'm all for it. I just think Doctor Who has always done a poor job of it (seriously, a transgender horse?!).
Original post by Gem Thief
Such a terrible season, it was at its peak when episodes like "Blink" were coming out.

My 2 cents.

But yes this weeks looks like a bug jump in quality for the better.

I don't think the season itself has been terrible, just consistently unexceptional (seasons 5 and 6 for example were the same but had standout episodes mixed in like Time Of Angels/Crash of the Byzantium.

What i really don't like is Bill, she's a horrid companion and has been written to tick every diversity box they can. Where is the flirty, feminine Clara or the feisty Catherine Tate.
That's pure folly. I genuinely can't recall anything to warrant this stance.
Original post by Conceited
That's pure folly. I genuinely can't recall anything to warrant this stance.

Agree to disagree.
No more so than any other character is shown to be straight in every episode though? Half the female companions are shown to be in love with the Doctor by the end of the first episode, for instance! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
No more so than any other character is shown to be straight in every episode though? Half the female companions are shown to be in love with the Doctor by the end of the first episode, for instance! :tongue:

This is indeed true, though with Rose it was a bit more believable given the time / experiences they'd shared together (I found Ninth / Tenth Doctor to have more "personal" stories).

Which actually brings me to Captain Jack Harkness; I think he was a well-written LGBT character.
Finale tonight guys. :colone:
Reply 5218
That episode :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest