The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

I only get £4000 for living costs??? WTF???

So it roughly comes down to £ 4000 for the living costs so accomodation, food and all that jazz...
How the hell are you supposed to live on that? If I had known sooner I would've gotten a job.
I still have a year till I go to uni. Should I just get a job?
My parents are telling me to stay at home while going to uni cause otherwise it costs too much but I've always looked forward to moving out. I just can't stay at home any more.
What is everyone else getting? I'm so frustrated and the fact that it's based on parents income isn't fair cause what if they do earn a lot but don't really wanna pay all that for uni?
I really just wanna move out but how?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Usual (lower?) middle class unreasonable complaints. Get your parents to pay, student finance isn't supposed to cover all your expenses, only what your parents can't afford.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by there'snoneed
So it roughly comes down to £ 4000 for the living costs so accomodation, food and all that jazz...
How the hell are you supposed to live on that? If I had known sooner I would've gotten a job.
I still have a year till I go to uni. Should I just get a job?
My parents are telling me to stay at home while going to uni cause otherwise it costs too much but I've always looked forward to moving out. I just can't stay at home any more.
What is everyone else getting? I'm so frustrated and the fact that it's based on parents income isn't fair cause what if they do earn a lot but don't really wanna pay all that for uni?
I really just wanna move out but how?

If your parents don't understand the governments expectation to give you about 3k a year (at a guess they must earn over 50k) then there's not much you can do except get a job and start saving asap really. you could show them this
http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/09/02/how-much-are-parents-supposed-to-give-their-children-when-they-go-to-university/ and see what their reaction is?
Original post by usualsuspects
Usual (lower?) middle class unreasonable complaints. Get your parents to pay, student finance isn't supposed to cover all your expenses, only what your parents can't afford.

yh it's not that easy. Asian parents and that. they said they would pay but not to live close to uni but to commute which I can't even begin to think about.
Original post by claireestelle
If your parents don't understand the governments expectation to give you about 3k a year (at a guess they must earn over 50k) then there's not much you can do except get a job and start saving asap really. you could show them this
http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/09/02/how-much-are-parents-supposed-to-give-their-children-when-they-go-to-university/ and see what their reaction is?

thankyou that was actually very helpful. they probs will give the money but i think they want me to stay home but we don't exactly get on well so I have always waited for uni so I can move out. I also hate the idea for travelling back and forth.
3k would definitely be enough on top of the loan.
thankyou that was actually very helpful. they probs will give the money but i think they want me to stay home but we don't exactly get on well so I have always waited for uni so I can move out. I also hate the idea for travelling back and forth.
3k would definitely be enough on top of the loan.

It at least gives your parents an idea of the governments logic, it's understandable if you want to move out. It wouldnt be ideal but if you can work part time in the mean time and save some cash and there's student overdraft available, if you're sensible when you go to uni with accommodation and the like, it wouldn't be easy for sure but it wouldn't be impossible to manage with little cash from your parents.
Original post by claireestelle
It at least gives your parents an idea of the governments logic, it's understandable if you want to move out. It wouldnt be ideal but if you can work part time in the mean time and save some cash and there's student overdraft available, if you're sensible when you go to uni with accommodation and the like, it wouldn't be easy for sure but it wouldn't be impossible to manage with little cash from your parents.

what's student overdraft?
what's student overdraft?

have you heard of overdrafts as a concept? It's like a loan, kind of, basically your bank lets you go into a minus balance without charge interest, it's not normally more than 2k with most bank and although not ideal to rely on, if you've no other option it's something.
Reply 8
Thanks to the ridiculously high costs of uni now, your parents are expected to help you find you want through if they can afford it. Sadly the government cannot give large loans to people whose parents can afford to help, as then people whose parents genuinely cannot afford to give them anything would be given smaller loans and would be completely unable to go to university altogether.Therefore it means people from higher income families may be more relient on their family for finance and it means if your family ask you to live at home for uni, you need to respect that decision because they are the ones who'll be paying after all. If you really can't face living at home there's still some things you can do.You can get a full time job over the summer, and yes it sucks, but some of my friends are doing it and it means at the end of the summer they will have about £3000 as well as their loan, enough to live away from home, not relient on their parents. Since you still have a year, you have more time, so can choose to work less to save. I've been working in a bar/restaurant a couple of nights a week to save for uni and I've got £1700 saved ready. You can also work while you're at uni. I've worked out that my loan will just about cover my accomodation, my savings will cover my food,textbooks and laundry (at a stretch) and so I'll be working to pay for things like going out / trips / clothes / toiletries / stationary etc.Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9

Not true. Middle class parents would either pay for all of their childs uni years or pay for their living expenses or even both in most cases... AWks

The usual self-entitled poor, expecting that those better off should pay for them, even if they can barely afford to pay for their own children.

The fact is that parents are expected, but not required, to contribute. That often leaves students in a position where they don't have enough money, and much less than those from poor backgrounds, because of their parents' income.

It should be clear that your parents' income is irrelevant if they don't give you money. IMO, parental income should not be considered. The system is broken.
Original post by monikar-j
Thanks to the ridiculously high costs of uni now, your parents are expected to help you find you want through if they can afford it. Sadly the government cannot give large loans to people whose parents can afford to help, as then people whose parents genuinely cannot afford to give them anything would be given smaller loans and would be completely unable to go to university altogether.Therefore it means people from higher income families may be more relient on their family for finance and it means if your family ask you to live at home for uni, you need to respect that decision because they are the ones who'll be paying after all. If you really can't face living at home there's still some things you can do.You can get a full time job over the summer, and yes it sucks, but some of my friends are doing it and it means at the end of the summer they will have about £3000 as well as their loan, enough to live away from home, not relient on their parents. Since you still have a year, you have more time, so can choose to work less to save. I've been working in a bar/restaurant a couple of nights a week to save for uni and I've got £1700 saved ready. You can also work while you're at uni. I've worked out that my loan will just about cover my accomodation, my savings will cover my food,textbooks and laundry (at a stretch) and so I'll be working to pay for things like going out / trips / clothes / toiletries / stationary etc.Hope this helps :smile:

yeah that was helpful. I don't get on well with my parents that much cause they're too strict so I have always wanted to move out. not to mess about or anything. i'll try and get a job for the summer i guess. I don't mind working but I don't know if my parents will cause they might think that it will affect my studies.
Original post by RogerOxon
The usual self-entitled poor, expecting that those better off should pay for them, even if they can barely afford to pay for their own children.

The fact is that parents are expected, but not required, to contribute. That often leaves students in a position where they don't have enough money, and much less than those from poor backgrounds, because of their parents' income.

It should be clear that your parents' income is irrelevant if they don't give you money. IMO, parental income should not be considered. The system is broken.

thank you! you explained it so much better than I did :smile:.
Reply 13
yh it's not that easy. Asian parents and that. they said they would pay but not to live close to uni but to commute which I can't even begin to think about.

Perhaps you should take into consideration the idea of staying at home... Or go on, finish the money, and let them bail you out. I'm sure they will eventually help you, since they can.

Original post by S.xxo
Not true. Middle class parents would either pay for all of their childs uni years or pay for their living expenses or even both in most cases... AWks

That's why I put a lower before it. Anyway, OP says it has more to do with ethnicity than other factors.

I'm not poor, I'm a (classical) liberal supporting a limited welfare and I get a very generous amount of money from my parents and from a fund set up by my grandparents. Check your facts.

All we need is a law that forces the parents to contribute to education for deserving students, up to bachelor's degree. Regardless, this isn't even a case where dreadful parents are refusing to contribute: OP doesn't lack support, he simply doesn't have enough money to move out. I don't think that the state should finance this, given that the right we are trying to enforce is to education, not to moving out of home. The state has made sure that OP could get an education, that's enough.
All we need is a law that forces the parents to contribute to education for deserving students, up to bachelor's degree. Regardless, this isn't even a case where dreadful parents are refusing to contribute: OP doesn't lack support, he simply doesn't have enough money to move out. I don't think that the state should finance this, given that the right we are trying to enforce is to education, not to moving out of home. The state has made sure that OP could get an education, that's enough.

How could you possibly think you could enforce a law where money has to be forcibly taken out of parents' personal bank accounts to supplement a student who has actively chosen to go to university, with or without the blessing of their parents? University is a choice, it's not a right like secondary education where attendance is enforced. 'Richer' parents are still likely to have financial commitments like mortgage payments, credit card payments, utility bills, car insurance, child care, food, the upkeep of other children, etc.
Reply 15
Original post by Glassapple
How could you possibly think you could enforce a law where money has to be forcibly taken out of parents' personal bank accounts to supplement a student who has actively chosen to go to university, with or without the blessing of their parents? University is a choice, it's not a right like secondary education where attendance is enforced. 'Richer' parents are still likely to have financial commitments like mortgage payments, credit card payments, utility bills, car insurance, child care, food, the upkeep of other children, etc.

The same way it's possible to enforce a law that says parents have to support us for 18 years.

Rich people who don't have enough money to pay for their children education are idiots, even more if their money is going towards credit card payments and expensive insuraces. I don't know any rich person who can't support their children at uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
The same way it's possible to enforce a law that says parents have to support us for 18 years.

Once you're 18 you're an adult, legally you don't need parents at that age, as they can kick you out and have nothing to do with you at all. I don't see how you think any of that could possibly change, all because people actively choose to go to university when they can't afford to go.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Glassapple
Once you're 18 you're an adult, legally you don't need parents at that age, as they can kick you out and have nothing to do with you at all. I don't see how you think any of that could or would possibly change, all because people actively choose to go to university when they can't afford to go.

we are discussing changing the law, so what is legal now has no meaning in this. It's the best solution to the issue I can think of.
All we need is a law that forces the parents to contribute to education for deserving students, up to bachelor's degree.

What do people pay taxes for? I'm sick of the attitude that the non-poor are a bottomless pit of money.

The state should offer 'loans' to all deserving students - you do a worthwhile (economically or socially) degree, you get the same loan, regardless of how much your parents earn. A person's contribution to the state is based on their income - we should not expect parents, that have already paid what the state expects in tax, to pay again.

What next? Should parents that aren't poor also pay again for education up to 18?

Regardless, this isn't even a case where dreadful parents are refusing to contribute: OP doesn't lack support, he simply doesn't have enough money to move out. I don't think that the state should finance this, given that the right we are trying to enforce is to education, not to moving out of home. The state has made sure that OP could get an education, that's enough.

If their parents were poor, they would have the money - how is that fair?
Reply 19
What do people pay taxes for? I'm sick of the attitude that the non-poor are a bottomless pit of money.

The state should offer 'loans' to all deserving students - you do a worthwhile (economically or socially) degree, you get the same loan, regardless of how much your parents earn. A person's contribution to the state is based on their income - we should not expect parents, that have already paid what the state expects in tax, to pay again.

What next? Should parents that aren't poor also pay again for education up to 18?

If their parents were poor, they would have the money - how is that fair?

I'm sick of that attitude too, that's why I believe in a small welfare and fewer taxes. And that's the reason why I don’t want the state to pay for everyone’s university fees.

Parents already pay for their children’s education up to 18.

The world isn’t fair. Is it fair that some are born rich and privileged and some poor and disadvantaged? If the poor can have a little compensation, only for the deserving, to study (a benefit for society), as a loan which they will pay back, how can we oppose this? Student finance wasn’t enacted to provide extra-cash or better accomodation for non-poor people, but to allow more people to enter higher education and tackle inequality. The fact that you can’t move out of your house unless you get a bigger loan isn’t SF’s business.

Quick Reply

Latest