The Student Room Group

Westminster 16+ Exams Today

I just sat the exams today and I feel like i did pretty well in everything except economics. Is that going to be a huge problem? I think I got quite a few general knowledge questions wrong, but might have brought it back in the essay (50 marks)? How did everyone else do?

Scroll to see replies

What other subjects did you do? I thought the geography exam was pretty hard but most people I talked to found it easy
Reply 2
Original post by dania.abdalla
What other subjects did you do? I thought the geography exam was pretty hard but most people I talked to found it easy

I also did english lit, which was pretty okay, and philosophy which i think went well
Original post by asdfjkl9
I also did english lit, which was pretty okay, and philosophy which i think went well

did you get it? i'm applying for 2018...

how was the exam? im taking it this winter...:smile:
Original post by hannah429
how was the exam? im taking it this winter...:smile:

Depends which subjects your taking. The sciences weren't too bad and you definitely can't revise for them. I found the geography really hard but as long as your familiar with a map you'll definitely do better than me. And maths was just your average maths but harder. Think UKMT. Good luck!
Reply 6
did you get it? i'm applying for 2018...

I'm applying for 2018 too! What are you planning on taking? Were you at the open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jada11
I'm applying for 2018 too! What are you planning on taking? Were you at the open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, i was at the open day! I'm planning on taking philosophy & theology, Spanish, maths, economics. But I need to check they're all in different blocks.... I hope they are.

What about you? And are you doing any specific revision for it?
Depends which subjects your taking. The sciences weren't too bad and you definitely can't revise for them. I found the geography really hard but as long as your familiar with a map you'll definitely do better than me. And maths was just your average maths but harder. Think UKMT. Good luck!

Thank you! Do you recommend doing any specific revision for the tests? I want to do maths economics Spanish and philosophy and theology. But would sciences be easier.

I think I'm equally as strong in all of them.
Thank you! Do you recommend doing any specific revision for the tests? I want to do maths economics Spanish and philosophy and theology. But would sciences be easier.

I think I'm equally as strong in all of them.

Hey,
For maths I would do some hard questions, as I said before they were very similar to the UKMT style of questions, so I would do a few of those papers. They were very much problem solving questions so definitely practise that style. I didn't so Spanish so I can't help much there but a friend of mine did the Spanish and French exams and said she found it relatively straight forward. If I remember correctly, I think they had to do a translation so I would just continue practising vocab and translation. I also don't have any experience with the philosophy and theology exam however I definitely recommend doing the science if you could. The biology was v. easy but the chemistry was definitely much harder. They brought A-level chemistry questions so they could see how you think, so you didn't really need to know much prior, but really I don't see the problem in brushing up on a few A-level topics over the summer.
Reply 10
Yes, i was at the open day! I'm planning on taking philosophy & theology, Spanish, maths, economics. But I need to check they're all in different blocks.... I hope they are.

What about you? And are you doing any specific revision for it?

I'm hoping to take philosophy and theology, Spanish, history, English literature. I'm not really revising now but my plan is that by the time school starts again after summer I'll know all the content for all my courses and some outside knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jada11
I'm hoping to take philosophy and theology, Spanish, history, English literature. I'm not really revising now but my plan is that by the time school starts again after summer I'll know all the content for all my courses and some outside knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh so we have some similar subjects! Let me know what you may do to revise for it- there's such limited information on the test online.

How did you find the open day? I absolutely loved it.

I was talking to my guide for such a long time- I was the girl with the extremely curly hair and colourful dress :wink:

My plan is similar to you i.e. just consolidate everything during the summer. But I'm yet to decide exactly what that involves!
Hey,
For maths I would do some hard questions, as I said before they were very similar to the UKMT style of questions, so I would do a few of those papers. They were very much problem solving questions so definitely practise that style. I didn't so Spanish so I can't help much there but a friend of mine did the Spanish and French exams and said she found it relatively straight forward. If I remember correctly, I think they had to do a translation so I would just continue practising vocab and translation. I also don't have any experience with the philosophy and theology exam however I definitely recommend doing the science if you could. The biology was v. easy but the chemistry was definitely much harder. They brought A-level chemistry questions so they could see how you think, so you didn't really need to know much prior, but really I don't see the problem in brushing up on a few A-level topics over the summer.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful.

Also- for UKMT do you recommend the junior maths challenge or mentoring questions? The questions at the end are really hard- I had better get started now!

The sciences were relatively easy? Now I have no idea what to take this year 😂. Thank you anyways so much!
Reply 13
Does anyone know what they Ask in the personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personal statement? I wasn't aware that the application contained more than just those 4 tests.

If there is a personal statement I would assume that you talk about charity work and books related to your subject?
Reply 15
Personal statement? I wasn't aware that the application contained more than just those 4 tests.

If there is a personal statement I would assume that you talk about charity work and books related to your subject?

At the open day I asked admissions about this and apparently when you come for the entrance exams they have a personal statement for you to fill out where they ask you questions but I'm not sure what questions they ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jada11
At the open day I asked admissions about this and apparently when you come for the entrance exams they have a personal statement for you to fill out where they ask you questions but I'm not sure what questions they ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I may email the admissions department to find out more about this because I never heard this. I'll let you know!
I think I may email the admissions department to find out more about this because I never heard this. I'll let you know!

Original post by jada11
Does anyone know what they Ask in the personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they do ask for a personal statement at the start. You have 15 minutes to write it and they ask for extra curricular activities regarding music and sport and also why you want to go to the school and your future plans etc.
Reply 18
Yes they do ask for a personal statement at the start. You have 15 minutes to write it and they ask for extra curricular activities regarding music and sport and also why you want to go to the school and your future plans etc.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I had no idea about this I'm so glad I know now. I currently don't do much musically- would this be a problem and something I should pick up soon?

Also, are they hard to write? Ie do they give enough time or give obscure questions

Quick Reply

Latest