The Student Room Group

Your Favourite Films and Why

Just curious, what are your favourite films and why? You can give more than one, as indicated!

Personally, I end up watching classics repeatedly like Jaws, Misery, Back to the Future and so on. Absolute belters. Any psychological thrillers with a decent plot and cinematography I'm also up for, alongside films of other genres that have these assets. It's really hard to pick my all time favourites but if they're mentioned in a conversation I'll probably remember why I love them!

What about you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ervahy
Just curious, what are your favourite films and why? You can give more than one, as indicated!

Personally, I end up watching classics repeatedly like Jaws, Misery, Back to the Future and so on. Absolute belters. Any psychological thrillers with a decent plot and cinematography I'm also up for, alongside films of other genres that have these assets. It's really hard to pick my all time favourites but if they're mentioned in a conversation I'll probably remember why I love them!

What about you?

You've got respect the classics , right? :tongue:

I'll watch anything from marvel movies (Thor, Avengers, Iron Man) when I want to nerd out, to comedies (Step Brothers, Pineapple express, Anchorman) when I'm feeling a laugh.

I also have a guilty pleasure for romance dramas (I've seen the Great Gatsby with Leonardo Di Caprio three times now)
When people ask me that question I co-incidentally forget every movie I've ever watched. I really liked The Help, Easy A and Wonder Woman; they're really well-written and I just liked the actors in the movies. Also; I like any animation movies like Anastasia, Prince of Egypt, Atlantis etc etc because of the soundtracks. (the soundtracks for movies because they give me life)
(edited 6 years ago)
Batman Dark Knight. This was a properly well done action movie. Downtime dramatic moments were genuinely interesting, characters were well designed especially the joker who's motives were really simple but the way he performed his plans was amazing and he truly breaks the two heroic characters. As my dad put it he thought it ended when he was arrested but there was another hour actually after that and it was the only time in a movie where he thought it ended but didn't and the extra scenes made the movie even better.
Reply 4
Original post by thatguy170296
You've got respect the classics , right? :tongue:

I'll watch anything from marvel movies (Thor, Avengers, Iron Man) when I want to nerd out, to comedies (Step Brothers, Pineapple express, Anchorman) when I'm feeling a laugh.

I also have a guilty pleasure for romance dramas (I've seen the Great Gatsby with Leonardo Di Caprio three times now)

Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man has always been a favourite of mine! I like Iron Man too but Spider-Man is cooler in my opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by saharan_skies
When people ask me that question I co-incidentally forget every movie I've ever watched. I really liked The Help, Easy A and Wonder Woman; they're really well-written and I just liked the actors in the movies. Also; I like any animation movies like Anastasia, Prince of Egypt, Atlantis etc etc

That's quite cool, I'll have to watch them!
Original post by Ervahy
Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man has always been a favourite of mine! I like Iron Man too but Spider-Man is cooler in my opinion.

Everyone that I've spoken to hate the Tobey Maguire spider-man's, but I find them so nostalgic, they're great!

The new spiderman coming out with Tom Holland looks awesome! :biggrin:
When people ask me that question I co-incidentally forget every movie I've ever watched. I really liked The Help, Easy A and Wonder Woman; they're really well-written and I just liked the actors in the movies. Also; I like any animation movies like Anastasia, Prince of Egypt, Atlantis etc etc because of the soundtracks. (the soundtracks for movies because they give me life)

You have to admit the constant yammering about Aries for him to not appear for long got pretty annoying after a while?
Reply 8
Original post by Vikingninja
Batman Dark Knight. This was a properly well done action movie. Downtime dramatic moments were genuinely interesting, characters were well designed especially the joker who's motives were really simple but the way he performed his plans was amazing and he truly breaks the two heroic characters. As my dad put it he thought it ended when he was arrested but there was another hour actually after that and it was the only time in a movie where he thought it ended but didn't and the extra scenes made the movie even better.

I KNEW I FORGOT ONE. Up until this one, I was never interested in Batman but I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the characters and actors involved. I couldn't agree more with you, it's a stunning piece.
Original post by Ervahy
I KNEW I FORGOT ONE. Up until this one, I was never interested in Batman but I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the characters and actors involved. I couldn't agree more with you, it's a stunning piece.

I'll also put on my list of favourite movies:

Star Trek into darkness
Logan
Deadpool
Kickass
truuuuu but i still liked the overall plotline :smile:
You have to admit the constant yammering about Aries for him to not appear for long got pretty annoying after a while?
Reply 11
Original post by thatguy170296
Everyone that I've spoken to hate the Tobey Maguire spider-man's, but I find them so nostalgic, they're great!

The new spiderman coming out with Tom Holland looks awesome! :biggrin:

They really are and the main theme is still beautiful. I really, really like the look of the new one too, if I'm honest Garfield's Spider-Man is the only one I don't like. :smile:
I still cried like a baby when Gwen died 'cause I have too many feelings. I thought they didn't utilise the villain to his potential in the second one and there was pretty weak writing but I'm pretty indifferent to it as a whole.
Original post by Ervahy
They really are and the main theme is still beautiful. I really, really like the look of the new one too, if I'm honest Garfield's Spider-Man is the only one I don't like. :smile:
Reply 13
I'll also put on my list of favourite movies:

Star Trek into darkness
Logan
Deadpool
Kickass

Never watched Logan, but I'm not a fan of Kickass. I really liked the characterisation in Deadpool and there were great cinematic moments but I couldn't help but feel let down by something? Into Darkness and Beyond are great!
I still cried like a baby when Gwen died 'cause I have too many feelings. I thought they didn't utilise the villain to his potential in the second one and there was pretty weak writing but I'm pretty indifferent to it as a whole.

I still find the saddest moment of any spider-man was in spider man 2, with doctor octopus, when aunt may couldn't get the free toaster at the bank.

Just give her the toaster goddammit :angry:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ervahy
Never watched Logan, but I'm not a fan of Kickass. I really liked the characterisation in Deadpool and there were great cinematic moments but I couldn't help but feel let down by something? Into Darkness and Beyond are great!

I didn't really like beyond as the writing boiled down to the most ridiculous coincidences ever happening in a short amount of time. Logan is great as it's one of the few properly dark and gritty super hero movies I've seen. Logan in it has a rather depressed but realistic attitude with how the world is in it... oh and watching a psycho child rip people up is pretty awesome.
Reply 16
I didn't really like beyond as the writing boiled down to the most ridiculous coincidences ever happening in a short amount of time. Logan is great as it's one of the few properly dark and gritty super hero movies I've seen. Logan in it has a rather depressed but realistic attitude with how the world is in it... oh and watching a psycho child rip people up is pretty awesome.

I thought that too but at the same time I admired Beyond due to the storyline's simplicity.
Original post by Ervahy
I thought that too but at the same time I admired Beyond due to the storyline's simplicity.

That was my thing with it, it was just action really. After the first two I was expecting another well written story. Also some of the alien costumes were pretty **** as they were pretty much recolouring a human and putting stuff like a big seashell or a load of fingers on their heads.
Trainspotting because I'm a smackhead.
i really liked the film Lion about an Indian boy searching for his real family. the ending really hit me hard and it was actually amazing

Quick Reply

Latest