The Student Room Group

Want to be a Nurse, not sure how?

Well i am currently on a level 3 subsidiary diploma in IT which is finishing next week. And I've had some time to think that this just isn't what i want to be doing as a future career.

What i would like to do is nursing, adult nurse ideally. But i have absolutely no idea how to do it with my current qualifications.

I was considering a access course in nursing, but i doubt my qualifications will meet the entry requirements.

Whats the best option here?
(edited 6 years ago)
You'll need to get your maths GCSE I think grade C or above is the common requirement. You could do an access to nursing course or A levels ideally including a science
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/adult-nursing-bsc-hons#course_tab_entry_requirements (I attached the entry requirements for South Bank University). Work experience is always a good thing to have also even if its volunteering for a few weeks so you have things to talk about in an interview and to know if this is something you really want to do.
I hope this is helpful!
You could do an Access course, most offer you a chance to do your GCSE's then - that's what my college does :smile:
Access course and GCSE maths. The college will arrange everything for you.
I'd recommend getting some hospital experience possibly if you can as a healthcare assistant or something (just to ensure you're definitely sure this time it's the career for you)
Then possibly take the access route, most should offer GCSE's to take with it, but you're better off seeing an adviser to help
Original post by Smartwater50
Well i am currently on a level 3 subsidiary diploma in IT which is finishing next week. And I've had some time to think that this just isn't what i want to be doing as a future career.

What i would like to do is nursing, adult nurse ideally. But i have absolutely no idea how to do it with my current qualifications.

I was considering a access course in nursing, but i doubt my qualifications will meet the entry requirements.

I only have GCSE English C and Art B. Plus a level 2 in IT and by the end of the week i should have my level 3 subsidiary diploma in IT.

My maths is good enough but i never sat it in school due to having some issues. After leaving i just gone on my level 2 IT course.

Whats the best option here?

Hi, it's worth asking your local college about an access course (as other forum members have suggested), you can do your maths GCSE alongside the access course too. If you don't meet the entry requirements for the access course, the college may have a pre-access course you can do first.
The accesstohe website is helpful too.
Like BubblegumBlue said, some experience in a healthcare environment (paid work or voluntary) will help you decide if nursing is right for you and support your application. There is a sticky thread on the forum with work experience ideas.
University open days will be worth going to when you've got the ball rolling with college courses etc too.
I hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by rnv
You could do an Access course, most offer you a chance to do your GCSE's then - that's what my college does :smile:

Appreciate all the replies. So some colleges do offer the chance to do your GCSE maths while on the access course?

Because i have searched a lot of colleges and all the access courses seem to require GCSE C minimum as entry requirements.

Do you by any chance know any colleges that offer the access course alongside doing GCSE's? Currently located in the North West but i can travel a fair bit as i drive and ride :smile:

I know pre access courses are a option, but id rather not spend 2 years extra on a pre access course if anywhere does offer it alongside a full access course.
Appreciate all the replies. So some colleges do offer the chance to do your GCSE maths while on the access course?

Because i have searched a lot of colleges and all the access courses seem to require GCSE C minimum as entry requirements.

Do you by any chance know any colleges that offer the access course alongside doing GCSE's? Currently located in the North West but i can travel a fair bit as i drive and ride :smile:

I know pre access courses are a option, but id rather not spend 2 years extra on a pre access course if anywhere does offer it alongside a full access course.

Honestly I would get in touch with any colleges near you at first - for my course it was required to have GCSEs on the website but when you contacted them and explained, they allowed you to do your GCSEs alongside your course :smile:

They often prefer you to have GCSEs as my tutor explained it, because it tells them that you will most likely cope with work and your reading/writing/maths is sufficient enough to begin work at Level 3. Those who didn't have GCSEs had to do a short writing and a numeracy test just to show at what level they're working at. If you don't have them however it doesn't mean you won't cope! They will encourage you to do your GCSEs if you don't have them as most Unis require Maths and English at least. We had an option to do Maths, English or Science. Contact your colleges first and see what they say :smile:

Try and get some work experience if you don't have any as they like you to have it as early as you can so you can start writing your personal statement near October (in my experience), so don't leave it till last minute.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi, this website allows you to search for colleges in your area that offer the access course https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/search.aspx .
Then, like the previous poster says, you can ask them whether you will be able to study the access course with them.
Don't be put off if you need to start with pre-access course first, if you are committed then you will get there.
1. you will need GCSE math and science. Some universities will allow you to do equivalency testing if you do not have these like Wolverhampton Uni

2. get some work experience in a hospital setting

3. do an access to nursing course

Quick Reply

Latest