The Student Room Group

academic appeal postgraduate taught course

My academic appeal has been upheld and will now be reviewed by a re-convened new exam board. I realise that this is like how long is a piece of string type question but having got over this first hurdle, are my chances relatively good now? Many thanks.
Original post by HarrietJones
My academic appeal has been upheld and will now be reviewed by a re-convened new exam board. I realise that this is like how long is a piece of string type question but having got over this first hurdle, are my chances relatively good now? Many thanks.

Literally no one can answer this as it's very dependent on the situation. Talk to your tutor if you can and the SU as they will be able to help. Make sure you have all your paperwork in order and the evidence you require. Good luck!

Your post lacks 95% detail so its virtually impossible to comment on your situation.
Original post by 999tigger
Your post lacks 95% detail so its virtually impossible to comment on your situation.

The only detail I have is that they say it is well founded and that it will go back to a new board as the original board had a bias. I am not sure how many appeals get upheld but I believe that the majority do not so I guess it is good to get this far.
Original post by alleycat393
Literally no one can answer this as it's very dependent on the situation. Talk to your tutor if you can and the SU as they will be able to help. Make sure you have all your paperwork in order and the evidence you require. Good luck!

Thank you for your good wishes. No more paperwork and evidence to collect at this point though, it is all done.
The only detail I have is that they say it is well founded and that it will go back to a new board as the original board had a bias. I am not sure how many appeals get upheld but I believe that the majority do not so I guess it is good to get this far.

You are pretty much having a conversation with yourself, but asking others to comment. Without the background and an account of whats happened then its impossible for anyone to say.as we have zero clue as to what its about.
You are pretty much having a conversation with yourself, but asking others to comment. Without the background and an account of whats happened then its impossible for anyone to say.as we have zero clue as to what its about.

Sorry it is a bit difficult to say too much on this public forum. There is very little information on academic appeals. I don't know how many get upheld except that not many do. I guess I am look for some statistical information that just does not exist on the internet.
Sorry it is a bit difficult to say too much on this public forum. There is very little information on academic appeals. I don't know how many get upheld except that not many do. I guess I am look for some statistical information that just does not exist on the internet.

Ok a different approach is this thing which only you know about , but cnat disclose has gone in a positive way. Appeals are on individual circumstances.
The rate of appeal could depend on the institution and the area of appeal. I doubt such information exists. You are really asking questions which have no answers and making it impossible to assist.

Its basically I have a problem, but I cant tell you about it, but what is the answer?
Just be patient is my advice as its basically positive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok a different approach is this thing which only you know about , but cnat disclose has gone in a positive way. Appeals are on individual circumstances.
The rate of appeal could depend on the institution and the area of appeal. I doubt such information exists. You are really asking questions which have no answers and making it impossible to assist.

Its basically I have a problem, but I cant tell you about it, but what is the answer?
Just be patient is my advice as its basically positive.

Thank you I think I need to just wait, I am happy to privately message you what happened but it is a long story and you might regret hearing about it!!
Thank you I think I need to just wait, I am happy to privately message you what happened but it is a long story and you might regret hearing about it!!

You may if you feel it would help, but am off out soon. The answer is still going to be along the lines of wait and see. If your appeal has been upheld, then they will now consider the original claim against you and decide how to alter their final decision to reflect the new finding. That might be a complete dropping of any sanction or a reduction.

Alternatively if the appeal was not about misconduct, but some prejudice you suffered, then they could be working out a way to address this i.e extra time etc.

You just have to wait. You know what its about and what you asked for so just some common sense can give you an idea as to what might happen.
You may if you feel it would help, but am off out soon. The answer is still going to be along the lines of wait and see. If your appeal has been upheld, then they will now consider the original claim against you and decide how to alter their final decision to reflect the new finding. That might be a complete dropping of any sanction or a reduction.

Alternatively if the appeal was not about misconduct, but some prejudice you suffered, then they could be working out a way to address this i.e extra time etc.

You just have to wait. You know what its about and what you asked for so just some common sense can give you an idea as to what might happen.

It is about being given a resit/further attempt, which would allow me to be reinstated on the course.
It is about being given a resit/further attempt, which would allow me to be reinstated on the course.

Presumably you know or have looked at the rules. If you have won your appeal it means they see you have a point. Its really speculation, but they would have to make some sort of movement towards giving you what you want (depending on what the decision said). Do note if they do let you back on they could place restrictions on it. It is up to them.

You just need to be patient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending