The Student Room Group

Recommend me poetry !

Any interesting poets who aren't apart of any AQA/ GCSE or Alevel spec? I really like poets from working class backgrounds or try to experiment with styles and themes etc. Anything controversial is appreciated. Not Tony Harrison.
Original post by ArcticDisco2000
Any interesting poets who aren't apart of any AQA/ GCSE or Alevel spec? I really like poets from working class backgrounds or try to experiment with styles and themes etc. Anything controversial is appreciated. Not Tony Harrison.

Edwin Morgan, Philip Larkin, Liz Lochhead. Any use?

Morgan is particularly controversial. Try 'the Death of Marilyn Monroe' or 'Pink Triangle'. Some of his love poems are very controversial for the time as well as he was gay.
Original post by Friffinghell
Edwin Morgan, Philip Larkin, Liz Lochhead. Any use?

Morgan is particularly controversial. Try 'the Death of Marilyn Monroe' or 'Pink Triangle'. Some of his love poems are very controversial for the time as well as he was gay.

THANKS!! I'll look into them.
Reply 3
Charles Bukowski
Allen Ginsberg.

Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton for controversial

Controversial:
Sylvia Plath - Daddy, Mirror, Lady Lazarus.
William Blake - Garden Of Love., The Chimney Sweeper, Little Black Boy,
Ashes - Andrea Gibson
The Second Coming - W.B Yeats

Others:
The Windhover - Gerard Manley Hopkins.
Villanelle - William Empson.
Thought Fox - Ted Hughes
I Dwell In Possibility - Emily Dickinson
On My First Son - Ben Johnson
Come Into The Garden Maud, Break Break Break - Alfred Lord Tennyson.
Invictus - Wiliam Ernest Henley
THE 1St Diary POEMS by Prudee M. She's so amazing. Read her tweets @love_n_feelings to see how well she writes her poetry. There's so much meaning in her every sentenced. And when she talked about writing a book, I knew I was going to buy it. She defines love in THE 1st Diary POEMS and then follow with 4 poems relating to.each definition of love. My favourite was- Love is the root of all things that never came into existence. I find a lot of hope in her writing

Quick Reply

Latest