The Student Room Group

Is "doing" your BSc and MSc at different universities possible?

I have been given an offer to a biochemistry course at a uni. However, that university does not offer the masters program I would like to study. Would it be possible to do the BSc course at one uni and then switch to another to finish off with the MSc?
Original post by Hnrkhl
I have been given an offer to a biochemistry course at a uni. However, that university does not offer the masters program I would like to study. Would it be possible to do the BSc course at one uni and then switch to another to finish off with the MSc?

Why would it not be possible?

It's very common for people do this
Yes, it is fairly common. A BSc and MSc are stand alone qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by super_kawaii
Why would it not be possible?

It's very common for people do this

Because when I looked into it, the requirements were only, for example, a certain amount of the "study points" in specific fields. I thought that it might mean that the MSc course was meant for those continuing their studies from the university's BSc course.
I obviously didn't look into it that much, I am also a foreigner from the Northern Europe, I don't know that much about unis not to mention the universities in the UK.
But how does it work? How do you get into a "better" university? Is there some kind of grading system or do you just pay for it?
Original post by Hnrkhl
Because when I looked into it, the requirements were only, for example, a certain amount of the "study points" in specific fields. I thought that it might mean that the MSc course was meant for those continuing their studies from the university's BSc course.
I obviously didn't look into it that much, I am also a foreigner from the Northern Europe, I don't know that much about unis not to mention the universities in the UK.
But how does it work? How do you get into a "better" university? Is there some kind of grading system or do you just pay for it?

You get the required grades for the masters course (usually a minimum 2:1 in your bachelors), plus any other non academic requirements (for example I had to have a criminal background check for my postgrad course) and then you pay for the masters.

Entry requirements for bachelors degrees will be for high school qualifications. Masters degree entry requirements will be for minimum grades in your bachelors degree.
You are getting confused between an 'integrated Masters' - 4 year undergrad degree - and a 1 year postgraduate Masters degree. They are different qualifications/courses.

You cannot 'transfer' into the final year of an integrated Masters having done 3 years of a degree course elsewhere. But you could do a postgraduate Masters at another Uni after you have completed a 3 year BSc. OR, you might still be allowed to do the final year of an integrated Masters at your own Uni if your BSc results are very good. So worth asking about this once you get there.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
You are getting confused between an 'integrated Masters' - 4 year undergrad degree - and a 1 year postgraduate Masters degree. They are different qualifications/courses.

You cannot 'transfer' into the final year of an integrated Masters having done 3 years of a degree course elsewhere. But you could do a postgraduate Masters at another Uni after you have completed a 3 year BSc. OR, you might still be allowed to do the final year of an integrated Masters at your own Uni if your BSc results are very good. So worth asking about this once you get there.

No, I understand the difference. I was confused about how the non-integrated entry works.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest