The Student Room Group

Law or psychology?

I'm currently choosing my A-level & don't know whether to go down the law or psychology route. If I did law, I presume I would earn more money (being a solicitor or lawyer), but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as doing psychology. If I did psychology I would preferably like to do neuropsychology, but researching. Which do you think I should do? Also, would I have to study biology to do neuropsychology??
Do psychology. It's a more respected A level.

You can apply for law without a law a level if you change your mind.
Well for law you don't need any specific A Levels so you can just do Psychology and any two others. I would recommend choosing two A Levels that may help should you decide to do a Psychology degree(e.g. Biology). This way you have both your options open when deciding between a Law or Psychology degree later.
Reply 3
Original post by angelike1
Do psychology. It's a more respected A level.

You can apply for law without a law a level if you change your mind.

Ah ok thanks for your help. I was just thinking of doing law so I would know if I like it or not, but psychology does look more interesting in my opinion. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Nadine_08
Well for law you don't need any specific A Levels so you can just do Psychology and any two others. I would recommend choosing two A Levels that may help should you decide to do a Psychology degree(e.g. Biology). This way you have both your options open when deciding between a Law or Psychology degree later.

Ah thanks for your advice. I just don't really enjoy biology that much (it's the plants), would it be possible to do a psychology degree without doing biology, but doing psychology? I was thinking of doing law a level as then it would help me decide if I enjoy law or not, but I think I will do psychology as it seems more enjoyable.:smile:
Original post by honeybee1
Ah thanks for your advice. I just don't really enjoy biology that much (it's the plants), would it be possible to do a psychology degree without doing biology, but doing psychology? I was thinking of doing law a level as then it would help me decide if I enjoy law or not, but I think I will do psychology as it seems more enjoyable.:smile:

I didn't take any hard sciences for A Level (actually, I took R.E and art alongside psychology!) and I have an offer from KCL to do a psychology degree :smile: I also got to the interview stage of Cambridge. So biology isn't necessarily needed.
However it would be a GREAT help if you did take it as many unis do look for other science degrees and your application is probably more likely to be successful with one
Reply 6
Original post by aleksceramics
I didn't take any hard sciences for A Level (actually, I took R.E and art alongside psychology!) and I have an offer from KCL to do a psychology degree :smile: I also got to the interview stage of Cambridge. So biology isn't necessarily needed.
However it would be a GREAT help if you did take it as many unis do look for other science degrees and your application is probably more likely to be successful with one

Woah that's amazing, well done! What other unis did you receive offers from? :smile: & ok, personally I don't think biology a level is for me, but I need to look into it more, before making a final decision :smile: thanks for your help :biggrin:
Woah that's amazing, well done! What other unis did you receive offers from? :smile: & ok, personally I don't think biology a level is for me, but I need to look into it more, before making a final decision :smile: thanks for your help :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
I applied for KCL, Cambridge, and Bath as my top 3, and then my backups of Surrey and Royal Holloway.
I got offers from KCL, Surrey, and an unconditional from RHUL. Got an interview from Cambridge but didn't make it past that, and rejection from Bath lol.
Predicted A*A*A* in my A levels, but I think part of my rejection from Bath and Cambridge was because of my A level choices.
A lot of people I know hated biology A level but if you're really aiming for a competitive application/uni I recommend you take it to help you. But take the A levels you think you will enjoy because if you don't like it, you probably won't do as well in it! I guess I'm proof that you don't necessarily need it to get into a good university :biggrin:
Reply 8
Thank you :biggrin:
I applied for KCL, Cambridge, and Bath as my top 3, and then my backups of Surrey and Royal Holloway.
I got offers from KCL, Surrey, and an unconditional from RHUL. Got an interview from Cambridge but didn't make it past that, and rejection from Bath lol.
Predicted A*A*A* in my A levels, but I think part of my rejection from Bath and Cambridge was because of my A level choices.
A lot of people I know hated biology A level but if you're really aiming for a competitive application/uni I recommend you take it to help you. But take the A levels you think you will enjoy because if you don't like it, you probably won't do as well in it! I guess I'm proof that you don't necessarily need it to get into a good university :biggrin:

Wow 3 a*s is absolutely amazing :biggrin: I feel like there are other a levels I would prefer to take, rather than biology. Plus, if I take biology, I don't think I would do very well as I wouldn't enjoy it. Yes, you definitely are, what course have you applied for? Psychology or neuroscience? Also which is your first choice? Sorry for so many questions :biggrin:
Wow 3 a*s is absolutely amazing :biggrin: I feel like there are other a levels I would prefer to take, rather than biology. Plus, if I take biology, I don't think I would do very well as I wouldn't enjoy it. Yes, you definitely are, what course have you applied for? Psychology or neuroscience? Also which is your first choice? Sorry for so many questions :biggrin:

Definitely take what you want, A levels are horribly hard so its best to be motivated in your studying! I really enjoyed revising because I loved my A levels :biggrin:

For RHUL my course is psychology & neuroscience together, in Surrey its pure psychology. In KCL again its a pure psychology course but there is a big focus on neuroscience/neuropsychology which is the path I want to go down. I've got KCL as my first choice, Surrey is my back up only because of the extra year out they give you for experience. KCL also offer this but its not guaranteed, you need to get a certain percentage in your 1st year I believe :smile:

Its totally fine! Ask away, I love questions!
Reply 10
Definitely take what you want, A levels are horribly hard so its best to be motivated in your studying! I really enjoyed revising because I loved my A levels :biggrin:

For RHUL my course is psychology & neuroscience together, in Surrey its pure psychology. In KCL again its a pure psychology course but there is a big focus on neuroscience/neuropsychology which is the path I want to go down. I've got KCL as my first choice, Surrey is my back up only because of the extra year out they give you for experience. KCL also offer this but its not guaranteed, you need to get a certain percentage in your 1st year I believe :smile:

Its totally fine! Ask away, I love questions!

Woah sounds cool, especially the year for experience which will be useful! What do you want to do after university?

That's good because I love asking them :biggrin:
Woah sounds cool, especially the year for experience which will be useful! What do you want to do after university?

That's good because I love asking them :biggrin:

The year out is incredibly enticing, especially as experience is definitely needed if you're going into psychology.
After my bachelor's degree I'm going to carry on and do a masters, and then a PhD. :smile: The goal is to be a chartered neuropsychologist, and I think I'd like to a balance between clinical practice and research but that's too far in the future to be sure of now!
Reply 12
The year out is incredibly enticing, especially as experience is definitely needed if you're going into psychology.
After my bachelor's degree I'm going to carry on and do a masters, and then a PhD. :smile: The goal is to be a chartered neuropsychologist, and I think I'd like to a balance between clinical practice and research but that's too far in the future to be sure of now!

It does sound good!
Wow sounds like you have some big goals, but how rewarding must it be to receive a PhD :biggrin: good luck, I'm sure you'll make it :smile:
I'm currently choosing my A-level & don't know whether to go down the law or psychology route. If I did law, I presume I would earn more money (being a solicitor or lawyer), but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as doing psychology. If I did psychology I would preferably like to do neuropsychology, but researching. Which do you think I should do? Also, would I have to study biology to do neuropsychology??

I took A-Level Law and A-Level Psychology and I think taking A-Level Law really helped me decide that I want to go into Law which I was already considering after taking it for GCSE. It is a good subject that is really interesting but you dont need it for Law so you may as well take the subjects you need for psychology.
half the battle is enjoying the subject. I love psychology so I was always ahead of my class at college because I read books for leisure as well as for coursework. I am doing philosophy alongside psychology (for the first 2 years at least) when I start uni and the book I bought is not thrilling me. It is a lower level though so hopefully uni will be more interesting but having an interest in the subject will be hugely beneficial to you
Reply 15
I take both law and psychology and I really love law, I find it so much more interesting than psychology. If you do take it and then like three weeks in realise it's really not what you want to do, you can drop it and swap it for another a-level, at least you could at my college
If you look at my question thread i was choosing between the same 2 subjects and I have some responses if you want to hear read them x
Reply 17
Original post by izzy1233
If you look at my question thread i was choosing between the same 2 subjects and I have some responses if you want to hear read them x

I will do, thank you :smile:x
I am in A level Cambridge, I have accounting business and maths , I want to take another subject. Which one would be more preferable law or psychology?

hi!! if you don't mind, i want to ask whether u continued with psychology after undergrad and what alevel grades u got in the end! i hope all worked out :wink:

Latest