The Student Room Group

Hsbc work experience 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hey it's been pretty quiet here lately. Whats the latest with everyone's placements?

I haven't been given any further details since confirmation of the placement. What about you guys?
Original post by HarryGCSE
Hey it's been pretty quiet here lately. Whats the latest with everyone's placements?

I haven't been given any further details since confirmation of the placement. What about you guys?

they rejected me initially (after saying i passed telephone interview), but got a call last month to ask if im interested and i said no :P
They've not sent me a timetable or any details yet, which is worrying as its only about 3 and a bit weeks away for me. All theyve sent is the address and timings, but not who to report to, who I will be with etc
Original post by TopCat12
They've not sent me a timetable or any details yet, which is worrying as its only about 3 and a bit weeks away for me. All theyve sent is the address and timings, but not who to report to, who I will be with etc

Same. I received the email saying they're getting in touch with line managers and I should hear back next month (May). But I didn't hear anything. My work experience starts 3rd July and that's just a month away
Same. I received the email saying they're getting in touch with line managers and I should hear back next month (May). But I didn't hear anything. My work experience starts 3rd July and that's just a month away

I tried calling yesterday, but nobody picked up. I will call them today and see what they say. Hopefully, they haven't forgotten :tongue:
Can i know whether Statistics is needed for A level if i am working in the banking sector?
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Pabodha Marambe
Can i know whether Statistics is needed for A level if i am working in the banking sector?

Your degree is the only academic thing that banks really look at. Thye don't really care about A-Levels. Just get into a target uni.
I tried calling yesterday, but nobody picked up. I will call them today and see what they say. Hopefully, they haven't forgotten :tongue:

I emailed them and they said they are still confirming my line manager :frown:
I emailed them and they said they are still confirming my line manager :frown:

They will get back to you eventually, don't worry! Mine starts tomorrow at Manchester, wish me luck!
They will get back to you eventually, don't worry! Mine starts tomorrow at Manchester, wish me luck!

I emailed them again today and they finally told me everything I need to know. I'm not too sure what to wear though.

Let me know how your placement goes!
I emailed them again today and they finally told me everything I need to know. I'm not too sure what to wear though.

For mine I just wore suit trousers and a buttoned shirt but no tie, just finished mine last week
Original post by oliowens
For mine I just wore suit trousers and a buttoned shirt but no tie, just finished mine last week

was it any good? what did you do
Original post by azizadil1998
was it any good? what did you do

It was extremely disappointing to be honest, my location got moved last minute due to short staffing. Originally I was going to be in their biggest regional branch however I was moved to one of the smallest so I was only able to do wealth management.

Hey! Sorry, its been a while since I completed it, but I have to say that it was really good.:smile: I was placed in commercial banking/private equity, but I ended up seeing all parts from large corporate to private equity to real estate. I even ended up getting to speak to a trader working in Canary Wharf for about an hour. I've made loads of LinkedIn contacts, and hopefully, they will be useful. I am not sure if you've already done yours, but if not the advice I would give is to really make sure you open your mouth and develop a rapport with your line manager. I was quiet the first day so I didn't do much, but the second day I talked a lot more and ended up doing loads. Ask loads of questions, and be enthusiastic about the whole thing. :smile:
Hey,

Yeah I applied on the day it opened, did the online assessment in early December, just got the telephone interview invite a few days ago and booked for the interview for the 25th of January! And for me, it showed up on their online application portal thing, like it says Assessment Completed and then changed to Online Assessment Passed for me, and also showed me how I did on it, theres a few categories like bad fit, ok fit, good fit, and excellent fit, I got OK but I honestly don't think HSBC overly care much about this. Good luck!

Anyone applied to the London region?

well done! do you have any advice on finding work experience this summer? I know it's a bit late...
Original post by hannah429
well done! do you have any advice on finding work experience this summer? I know it's a bit late...

Hey, no its not that late tbh you can still find places! Look at all the insight days for the investment banks/banks, some haven't opened yet I'm sure, go on student ladder for a list of them. Also, look for lists of companies like fintechs, asset/investment managers/insurance brokers etc (anything financial related or whatever you want to do), and find their contact emails and send out some mass emails (copy/paste and change the name of the firm).. I got 3 placements like that last summer so it's definitely worth a try, just have to spend a few hours doing it basically ahah

good luck!
Wh
Hey, no its not that late tbh you can still find places! Look at all the insight days for the investment banks/banks, some haven't opened yet I'm sure, go on student ladder for a list of them. Also, look for lists of companies like fintechs, asset/investment managers/insurance brokers etc (anything financial related or whatever you want to do), and find their contact emails and send out some mass emails (copy/paste and change the name of the firm).. I got 3 placements like that last summer so it's definitely worth a try, just have to spend a few hours doing it basically ahah

good luck!

What places actually responded to you?
Original post by Moriayo
Wh

What places actually responded to you?

Didnt keep a track of which didn't/did respond, but usually you will at least get a reply saying they aren't taking placement students on atm or something like that... but thing is you just a copy paste message anyways so its not that much effort. in total i got 4 replies out of maybe 200 but i sent out a mass email so it wasnt that bad ah
I know that this is a year after but I recently applied (21st january) and I've completed the online assessments however its now the end of January and I've still not heard anything back so idk if I got rejected or do I have to wait a little longer?
Didnt keep a track of which didn't/did respond, but usually you will at least get a reply saying they aren't taking placement students on atm or something like that... but thing is you just a copy paste message anyways so its not that much effort. in total i got 4 replies out of maybe 200 but i sent out a mass email so it wasnt that bad ah

can you give me some advice on how to write application letters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending