The Student Room Group

Importance of predicted A levels

Hey all
Just wondering how important predicted grades are for A level now .
I've just been predicted 2 A* and 2 A's and I'm not sure if that's gonna put me at a disadvantage compared to those who've been predicted 3 a*.
I'm applying for history btw
Reply 1
Yep, you're doomed for failure
2 A*s and 2 As at A level> 3 A*s at A level
assuming all are subjects with similar difficulty e,g four are bio chem phys maths, 3 are phys maths further maths
Original post by Handwritingman
Hey all
I've just been predicted 2 A* and 2 A's and I'm not sure if that's gonna put me at a disadvantage compared to those who've been predicted 3 a*.

We don't think that you should worry about this given that the entry requirement is AAA for History.
With universities not having AS grades available in future predicted grades will become more important than before as an indicator of potential performance. However, as long as you meet the predicted grades for the course it will not be a problem and interviewer will be able to gauge whether your predicted grades are realistic since they are aware they are just a prediction and are likely to be incorrect.

Those are fine. Your performance on the HAT will be a key factor.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We don't think that you should worry about this given that the entry requirement is AAA for History.

So an extra a* would have little or no weight in the final decision for acceptance?
If you perform well in aspects aside from predicted grades and they want to give you an offer, having one less a* will not be a problem.
So an extra a* would have little or no weight in the final decision for acceptance?

In our view, the selectors will reach a final decision that places more weight on achieved results (typically GCSE prior attainment, the HAT score, the evaluation of written work, and interview scores). The primary purpose of predicted grades is to provide some assurance that, should an offer be made, the required grades will be achieved. In practice, predicted A-level grades are correlated with other aspects of the application. At the end of the day they are also simply predictions and the discontinuation of AS exams is likely to lessen their accuracy. It is also the case that willingness to predict A* in some subjects varies among schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending