The Student Room Group

055R TSP reserve list for HMRC Band O Roles

Sorry if there is already a thread for this or if this is not the correct place.

I was added to the above reserve list after failing the TSP Assessment Centre a couple of months back and have recently have emails regarding Band O Tax Professional/ODP and Front Line Manager roles within the Customer Compliance Group, to which I responded that I would be prepared to accept a role in Croydon (the only office geographically feasible for me) if successful.

Initially I was happy to just wait and see what became of this; however, on Monday I was made redundant from my current job and will therefore become officially unemployed in 30 days, which changes things. I'm now massively panicking about the prospect of getting a new, and the prospect of months of unemployment, failed job applications and boredom is making me feel physically sick.

As the people on this forum seem much better informed about HMRC recruitment, the reserve lists and such I was hoping someone could help me out. The emails make it clear that being on the list does not guarantee a job offer, which is understandable, but does anyone know how likely a job offer is or know how I can get a better idea of how probable it is that I will be offered a job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly, well done for getting as far as the Assessment Centre and at the very least, securing a place on the reserve list. Like you, I went through this process and at the AC I too failed to achieve one of the top 200 positions, and was placed on the 055R lists for a potential Band O role. I think overall, managing to score in the top 2% on the online tests and to be invited for the assessments is an achievement in itself, I personally found the whole process was quite tough.

I currently work for HMRC at a lower grade, and speaking from experience, any large trawl like this can be very long winded - particular with all the changes going on in the organisation in the next couple of years. Following on from the emails in April and May, Croydon was one of the six locations that candidates were encouraged to accept positions in, therefore I would say that you have a strong chance of being made a provisional offer in the near future (of course there is no guarantee of this as there are so many factors at play). That being said, even being made a provisional offer doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will receive a start date shortly after. It could be sometime before candidates receiving provisional offers are offered places or a start date (by some time I mean months, not weeks). Anyone that has worked in the civil service and been through one of these types of recruitment trawls with HMRC will know, it can be a painstakingly slow and arduous journey. I am not basing this on any kind of particular information that I know about our reserve list, just from personal and previous experience. However, I've read that candidates in Nottingham have begun to receive provisional offers already which is really encouraging.

If I were in your position, I would not put all my eggs in one basket and start seeking new work urgently. Even if it is something that you might not necessarily want to pursue, but perhaps something in the short term.

Sorry if this all seems negative, I just come across this post and thought I'd respond as I've been in a very similar position waiting for months for a start date.
Reply 2
I was sent an email about locations and then another at the end of may advising me that I would still need to achieve at least a 2:2 to be considered for the band O roles. Both of these emails had a short deadline to respond of under a week. That made me think that they were trying to sort this out quickly, but as the weeks pass im starting to realise we could be waiting a long time before hearing anything.
It's interesting because people have already been to hand documents in for the Edinburgh location so I would assume the process is underway and that they must know roughly how many people they want?
I went in for a document drop of in Bristol at the end of March, and recieved the same email in May saying I would need to prove my 2:2 degree. Because it said in the email that I would need to do this in another drop off I sent an email asking what the process would be given I'd already been in. I recieved a response, in which it said I would receive an update along with an FAQ document on the 23rd of June, will be interesting to see whether we actually get an update on the 23rd. Getting the overall impression that it's going to be a while before any offers are made, and even longer until people start work.
Reply 4
It seems things may be starting to get moving, I got a call this morning to say that Edinburgh offers were being made from today, and to expect an email with a conditional offer on Monday. Start dates are between 4 and 6 weeks away, allegedly.
Reply 5
Original post by JPB99
It seems things may be starting to get moving, I got a call this morning to say that Edinburgh offers were being made from today, and to expect an email with a conditional offer on Monday. Start dates are between 4 and 6 weeks away, allegedly.

Well done on the offer!!! I got an email today apologising for the delay but saying that the first lot of conditional offers should be issued from July. Although I scored really highly at stage 1 and 2, I didn't perform that well at stage 3 so didn't get through to ac stage. I was wondering what stage you got through to (and anyone else) to try and gauge whether an offer will be likely or not.

Many thanks!!
Reply 6
Original post by HeHol
Well done on the offer!!! I got an email today apologising for the delay but saying that the first lot of conditional offers should be issued from July. Although I scored really highly at stage 1 and 2, I didn't perform that well at stage 3 so didn't get through to ac stage. I was wondering what stage you got through to (and anyone else) to try and gauge whether an offer will be likely or not.

Many thanks!!

Thanks, seemingly they were calling those that had put Edinburgh as the need for staff is more pressing there. I got through to the Assesment Centre but didn't score highly enough to get a place on the TSP - had a disaster in one of my excercises and that was that! Hopefully you'll hear soon, I assume they're filling roles by location rather than all at once.
Reply 7
Original post by JPB99
Thanks, seemingly they were calling those that had put Edinburgh as the need for staff is more pressing there. I got through to the Assesment Centre but didn't score highly enough to get a place on the TSP - had a disaster in one of my excercises and that was that! Hopefully you'll hear soon, I assume they're filling roles by location rather than all at once.

Thanks for the info, looking at posts on the TSP 2017 thread it looks as if they're offering all unsuccessful ac candidates roles first (which obvs make sense)! I guess that's why non- ac people like myself have been told that we will hear from July onwards - by then they will have worked their way through the ac - non TSP people?!

Out of interest - did you receive any info re: what kind of roles Band O actually are? I was told that I was put on a list but have had no details otherwise?!
Reply 8
Original post by HeHol
Thanks for the info, looking at posts on the TSP 2017 thread it looks as if they're offering all unsuccessful ac candidates roles first (which obvs make sense)! I guess that's why non- ac people like myself have been told that we will hear from July onwards - by then they will have worked their way through the ac - non TSP people?!

Out of interest - did you receive any info re: what kind of roles Band O actually are? I was told that I was put on a list but have had no details otherwise?!

I think you're probably right, I received the same email this morning, but then got the call after that. I'm not sure what the exact job title is but the offer letter has "Business: Campaigns & Projects Customer Compliance Group " as the subject so it's got to be some variant of that.
Reply 9
I also received a provisional offer for Edinburgh and if everything works out should be starting in mid August.
But as others have said still not really sure what the role entails. Excited to start anyway!
Hi, I got through to the A.C. but wasn't successful (from my feedback I'd say I was mid-range but it's hard to know when no exact scores were provided). Out of the locations on the Band O Reserve List I can only feasibly move to Bristol so I am hoping I may possibly be offered something there but not getting my hopes up... Despite getting through to the A.C. I still received that recent email about the first tranche of offers being made in July so I don't think it depends on whether you reached the A.C. or not...
Also can anyone tell me what 'ODP' means, as in the 'ODP and Front Line Manager Roles' that we are on the reserve list for? Sorry if I'm being stupid but I have to admit that I don't really know what these jobs are!
Reply 11
Original post by tb2403
I also received a provisional offer for Edinburgh and if everything works out should be starting in mid August.
But as others have said still not really sure what the role entails. Excited to start anyway!

Well done! did they tell you which office it was in? I thought all Edinburgh roles would be at Haymarket, but they said mine would be at Grayfield House, which is pretty old school to say the least!!
Hey guys,

I didn't make it to the assessment centre but I did score pretty highly in all of the online tests, I only got 76 in the last one which I think is why I didn't get through.

I received an email this afternoon with an offer for "business: campaigns and projects - customer compliance", also in the Edinburgh office.

Does anyone know what this role actually involves? And what the progression opportunities would be like?

I've already started a tax role at an office that I really like, so I think I'd probably be best to stay there as I will be CTA qualified in three years but the role HMRC has offered (conditionally) does pay a lot more.
Reply 13
Original post by JPB99
Well done! did they tell you which office it was in? I thought all Edinburgh roles would be at Haymarket, but they said mine would be at Grayfield House, which is pretty old school to say the least!!

Yeah I am also going to be based there. I'm from dundee so not sure what would be the best way to commute? if you know the area well any advice would be appreciated! I can drive but would probably rather get a season ticket for train or bus depending on how easy/close it is to stations etc.

Odp roles stand for "operational delivery" I assume theres more info on these roles on the civil service jobs site under the job description on the reserve list.
Reply 14
Original post by macduck95
Hey guys,

I didn't make it to the assessment centre but I did score pretty highly in all of the online tests, I only got 76 in the last one which I think is why I didn't get through.

I received an email this afternoon with an offer for "business: campaigns and projects - customer compliance", also in the Edinburgh office.

Does anyone know what this role actually involves? And what the progression opportunities would be like?

I've already started a tax role at an office that I really like, so I think I'd probably be best to stay there as I will be CTA qualified in three years but the role HMRC has offered (conditionally) does pay a lot more.

Same as the e-mail I received, not quite sure what the role involves day to day. I have seen people say on the tsp thread that progression isn't great historically within hmrc. This may be different in the near future with more roles possibly opening with an aging workforce and people refusing to move to the regional centres when they open.
I made it to assessment centre but didn't do well enough. It was the first assessment centre I had been to and after feedback would be more confident in passing it if I tried for tsp again. So my plan would be to use this role to understand hmrc more with the idea of going for tsp again if I felt like this is definitely for me. So I would say if your planning on applying for tsp again it might be a good idea.
Original post by tb2403
Same as the e-mail I received, not quite sure what the role involves day to day. I have seen people say on the tsp thread that progression isn't great historically within hmrc. This may be different in the near future with more roles possibly opening with an aging workforce and people refusing to move to the regional centres when they open.
I made it to assessment centre but didn't do well enough. It was the first assessment centre I had been to and after feedback would be more confident in passing it if I tried for tsp again. So my plan would be to use this role to understand hmrc more with the idea of going for tsp again if I felt like this is definitely for me. So I would say if your planning on applying for tsp again it might be a good idea.

That's a very good point about the aging workforce actually. I would like to apply again but I think I'll stay where I am just now and then apply not this year but next year as I will be ATT qualified by then. I really like my current employer and as it is tax as well I think it should help me when it comes to applying again.

Good luck for it and best of luck with the application next year.
Reply 16
Original post by macduck95
That's a very good point about the aging workforce actually. I would like to apply again but I think I'll stay where I am just now and then apply not this year but next year as I will be ATT qualified by then. I really like my current employer and as it is tax as well I think it should help me when it comes to applying again.

Good luck for it and best of luck with the application next year.

Was everyone who didn't meet the standard at AC put onto this reserve list?
Reply 17
Assuming so from the forums but, impossible to tell if everyone got on reserve. I think you had to score around 80 upwards to get to the AC
Original post by B711
Was everyone who didn't meet the standard at AC put onto this reserve list?

As I mentioned a couple of posts back (not sure if you saw or not) I didn't make it to the assessment centre so I think it was probably people who had above a certain score in the last test and people who didn't make it past the AC :smile:
The faq email mentions 6 locations. I assume those are the 6 as email on 26/5 email? Nothing in north west. ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending