The Student Room Group

University Open Days?

What are some good questions to ask/things to think about, to ensure that you make the most of the open days?
Original post by Anonymous
What are some good questions to ask/things to think about, to ensure that you make the most of the open days?

Ask about assessments, living costs, generally what their unique selling point is

Hey,

There are lots of questions you can ask at an open day, but I found that these 3 helped me the most:

1. How is the course assessed?
2. How much contact time in lectures, seminars and workshops will I have?
3. What are the entry requirements?

If you're interested, I have created a thread about 'how to make the most out of your open days' which shares some of my tips and honest advice! Check it out if you like, here's the link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4759646

Hope this helps,
Anna

Hey!

There are so many aspects of university, and it can be difficult to really understand all of these and take all of these in at open days. I'm going into third year, but I just took my younger brother round to an open day, and it made me realise how much I was unaware of before I came to uni, I felt like I didn't make the most of open days because I didn't really understand what university life would be like! I'll try to give you some advice on what to think about... :smile:

What is the course like?
- Look at the course modules, which will differ at each uni. Do these align with your interests? Do you get much choice in these modules as they go on? Are they more academic, or more practical?
- How is the course assessed? Exams or coursework?
- Do you get the chance to study abroad or do a placement year if those interest you?
- Ask current students about the course (important). Do they feel supported by tutors? Are the modules stimulating?

What is the university like?
- Look around your faculty's building or the campus. Can you see yourself living and studying there?
- What are the facilities like? Is the library good? Are there plenty of study spaces?
- Go to the Students' Union and see what you think! Are there lots of societies and sports teams? Do they run many events? What's welcome week like? How do they support you, include you, and entertain you?

What's the accommodation like?
Think about what you need from an accommodation. Can you see yourself living there for a year?
- Do you feel like you need an ensuite, or would you be fine with sharing bathrooms? How much space or storage do you want in your room? Do you want to live as close as possible or in the city itself?
- How much does it cost compared to your student loan/budget?
- How many people would you be sharing with compared to the communal space you are given?
- What about 2nd year accommodation? How expensive is it? Are they far away? Do you get support with finding houses from the uni?

What's the city like?
This really depends on what you love about different cities. You might love a historical setting with a beautiful cathedral; a city with huge shopping centres and lots of bars; one with many independent vintage shops and Instagram worthy coffee shops; one with great transport links; one with lots and lots of Wetherspoons or Greggs; one with lots of green spaces and parks; one with amazing nightclubs; one with great sports stadiums or where lots of big bands tour... Ask current students about their experiences in the city, what they love and dislike about it and ask about how it would suit your personal interests!

I think this pretty much covers the basics of your university experience. My main piece of advice would be ask current students, as they're the ones who can give the most accurate description of university life at that uni! It's great to check out as many as you can in person, too.

Good luck :smile:

Ellie
Reply 4
Hi! Open days are good events to attend as it will really help you decide whether a university is for you.
You should ask about the course: so how is it run, how is it assessed and what modules do you do? Different universities will run the same course differently, so it is important to have an awareness of this. You may want to do a year abroad as part of your course and some universities do this as part of the course, so be aware of this will help you decide whether you want to study that course at that particular university.
You should also think about the university, such as where it is geographically and the facilities it has. By going to an open day you'll also see how friendly the staff are and whether they make you feel welcome!

I do have a blog post just about my top 5 things to do at an open day, here's a link: http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2015/09/17/what-to-do-during-an-open-day/
I hope that helps, good luck :smile:
Speak to all different types of students you see. As all of them will have different answers to the same question.

Ask lecturers about things related to the degree; how well do students do in 1st years, are all modules compulsory, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending