The Student Room Group

Full Scholarships for Indians wishing to study UG Medicine (A100) at Oxford???

Why are fully funded scholarships so rare to find for internationals at UG level in the UK, especially for Medicine? After a week of intense searching I got to know of just one that suits my needs, the Thatcher Scholarships at Somerville College, Oxford Uni. Apart from that, I don't know of any. I can't even estimate my chances of landing one since no info whatsoever is available regarding Thatcher Scholars or any scholars for that matter...:s-smilie:

All suggestions are most welcome. :h:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Most universities in the UK set aside a lot of money for bursaries for poorer UK students. So, they don't tend to have a lot of money to give to international students. If that's what you want you might be better off looking at schools in the US as they tend to have more generous scholarship programmes.
Reply 2
Original post by student1856
Most universities in the UK set aside a lot of money for bursaries for poorer UK students. So, they don't tend to have a lot of money to give to international students. If that's what you want you might be better off looking at schools in the US as they tend to have more generous scholarship programmes.

I got you Sir! But what if an international student is poor? They don't wanna even look in that direction? :colonhash:
As far as studying Med in the US goes, by the time I get my degree I'll start resembling your profile pic.... If you know what I mean :p:D
Yep, scholarships for undergrad studies are rare. They almost always aren't very big and involve having to be both British and poor. British med schools aren't particularly keen on non-UKs anyway so even if it sounds a bit grim, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if any uni offered you a full scholarship instead of getting as much tuition fees out of you as they can.
Original post by SwapB
I got you Sir! But what if an international student is poor? They don't wanna even look in that direction? :colonhash:
As far as studying Med in the US goes, by the time I get my degree I'll start resembling your profile pic.... If you know what I mean :p:D

Because their money goes towards supporting the students who live in the country, and when they do it's very little (often £1000 a year). They can't fund everybody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by StationToStation
Yep, scholarships for undergrad studies are rare. They almost always aren't very big and involve having to be both British and poor. British med schools aren't particularly keen on non-UKs anyway so even if it sounds a bit grim, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if any uni offered you a full scholarship instead of getting as much tuition fees out of you as they can.

Sure thing.
So you suggest I dont apply at all?
Original post by SwapB
Sure thing.

If you can't afford to pay international fees, then I'm afraid its a case of applying to Indian medical schools.
Reply 7
Original post by ForestCat
If you can't afford to pay international fees, then I'm afraid its a case of applying to Indian medical schools.

Hmmm I already did that. But in India the entire procedure is completely different. If you've ever heard about what IIT-JEE is, then I'll tell you it's a similar process; you have to sit for a common entrance test called the National Eligibility & Entrance Test (NEET), and the number of students taking the test each year is....... wait for it.......950,000+.

In India everyone thinks they got potential to become a doctor. The NEET is gradually becoming a joke. That's why I looked elsewhere in the first place.

Look, I love my country, but the amount of competition for the quality of education is just not worth it back here.

Feel me?
:007:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SwapB
Sure thing.

I agree with ForestCat unfortunately - if paying for your own tuition fees in the UK through loans and/or family savings isn't a realistic possibility then you should look at other countries. Med schools can and do kick people out if they can't pay and it would really suck if you'd end up in that situation. :frown:
Original post by SwapB
Hmmm I already did that. But in India the entire procedure is completely different. If you've ever heard about what IIT-JEE is, then I'll tell you it's a similar process; you have to sit for a common entrance test called the National Eligibility & Entrance Test (NEET), and the number of students taking the test each year is....... wait for it.......950,000+.

In India everyone thinks they got potential to become a doctor. The NEET is gradually becoming a joke. That's why I looked elsewhere in the first place.

Look, I love my country, but the amount of competition for the quality of education is just not worth it back here.

Feel me?
:007:

I'm sorry to hear it's so competitive. But the reality is, if you want to come to the UK as an international student then you have to pay. There aren't even scholarships (except for odd grants) for U.K. students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ForestCat
I'm sorry to hear it's so competitive. But the reality is, if you want to come to the UK as an international student then you have to pay. There aren't even scholarships (except for odd grants) for U.K. students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sad.
But hey, I used the Scholarship search tool on the Oxford Uni website and it informed me about the Thatcher Scholarships available only to Somerville students, for any course. Preference goes to Middle East students but other internationals are also considered. They offer full tuition fee waiver and also cover college fees, and even provide additional grants.
That sounded like Utopia to me when I read that. But I somehow think its too good to be true. Even if it really exists (It must exist since its on the official Somerville College website) it must be very very competitive.

Any additional Info regarding the Thatcher Scholarships??? ie, if anybody knows of any Thatcher Scholar personally or someone who has heard about them, etc etc?
(edited 6 years ago)
thats the life of being an international student. youre a cash cow to the unis.
dont let yourself go into that debt if youre thinking about a loan, its not worth it.

I'm currently in debt to my parents but at least... its my own parents.
Original post by SwapB
Sad.
But hey, I used the Scholarship search tool on the Oxford Uni website and it informed me about the Thatcher Scholarships available only to Somerville students, for any course. Preference goes to Middle East students but other internationals are also considered. They offer full tuition fee waiver and also cover college fees, and even provide additional grants.
That sounded like Utopia to me when I read that. But I somehow think its too good to be true. Even if it really exists (It must exist since its on the official Somerville College website) it must be very very competitive.

Any additional Info regarding the Thatcher Scholarships??? ie, if anybody knows of any Thatcher Scholar personally or someone who has heard about them, etc etc?

Look, I don’t want to sound overly pessimistic but I really don’t think it would be a good idea to apply to the UK solely with the possibility of getting that scholarship in mind. Based on the stats of 2007-2015 the probability of getting an Oxford medicine offer as an international is about 1.4%. If you get an offer, the probability of getting one from the college you applied to is about 63%. I don’t know much about the Thatcher scholarship but if I’m being optimistic I’m guessing maybe 2% of Somerville undergrads might get it. So your chances of landing it would based on a rough calculation be 0.018%. If that’s the only way you could pay for a UK degree, I think you’d be better off spending the time and effort in constructing a good application to some other country.
Reply 13
Original post by StationToStation
Look, I don’t want to sound overly pessimistic but I really don’t think it would be a good idea to apply to the UK solely with the possibility of getting that scholarship in mind. Based on the stats of 2007-2015 the probability of getting an Oxford medicine offer as an international is about 1.4%. If you get an offer, the probability of getting one from the college you applied to is about 63%. I don’t know much about the Thatcher scholarship but if I’m being optimistic I’m guessing maybe 2% of Somerville undergrads might get it. So your chances of landing it would based on a rough calculation be 0.018%. If that’s the only way you could pay for a UK degree, I think you’d be better off spending the time and effort in constructing a good application to some other country.

Hmmm thanks buddy. Cheers.
Reply 14
Original post by Jckc123
thats the life of being an international student. youre a cash cow to the unis.
dont let yourself go into that debt if youre thinking about a loan, its not worth it.

I'm currently in debt to my parents but at least... its my own parents.

Yeah bro I feel you.
My dad spend a hell lot in getting me educated from a reputed convent school and everything. I'm not gonna ask him to mortgage our house for a loan. Rather mortgage my soul to the Devil if thats possible...
I hear MIT give full scholarship to anyone who cannot afford it IF they get offered a place.

Try UG MIT, then graduate medicine anywhere else?

UK scholarships are even rare for UK students. I'm a medic here (UK citizen) from a low income background and I got given a few thousand pounds over a 2 years of medical school - that's it!
Reply 16
Original post by notespad
I hear MIT give full scholarship to anyone who cannot afford it IF they get offered a place.

Try UG MIT, then graduate medicine anywhere else?

UK scholarships are even rare for UK students. I'm a medic here (UK citizen) from a low income background and I got given a few thousand pounds over a 2 years of medical school - that's it!

Thanks for the advice!

Either that (I'll have to check) or I'm planning to complete my MBBS from India, from Calcutta Medical College preferably, then doing Postgraduation in the UK.

But I have no clue what to study in the UK after MBBS, ie, the list of PG courses (I went through Oxford Uni's site) are so confusing! I want to become a Surgeon. In India you study to become either a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or a Surgeon (M.S. : Master of Surgery), so I dont really know what course would suit me at a UK Uni. Any Advice/Guidance regarding that?
Original post by SwapB
Thanks for the advice!

Either that (I'll have to check) or I'm planning to complete my MBBS from India, from Calcutta Medical College preferably, then doing Postgraduation in the UK.

But I have no clue what to study in the UK after MBBS, ie, the list of PG courses (I went through Oxford Uni's site) are so confusing! I want to become a Surgeon. In India you study to become either a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or a Surgeon (M.S. : Master of Surgery), so I dont really know what course would suit me at a UK Uni. Any Advice/Guidance regarding that?

You don't need a postgraduate degree to be a doctor in the UK. If you came to the UK straight after getting your MBBS, you could become a consultant surgeon if you then did 2 years of foundation training, 2 years of core surgical training and 6-8 years of specialty training.

Fairly often people do however do some postgraduate courses like MScs or PhDs, especially if they're planning to go into academia or some particularly competitive specialty. I believe surgery is one of the specialties where many applicants have done extra degrees.

If you want to do some postgrad course in the UK, I guess the most obvious options for you would be a PhD, an MSc by research or a taught Master's course, depending on your interests and future plans. :smile:
Original post by SwapB
Thanks for the advice!

Postgraduate training in the UK isn't done via university study - you don't do courses. After two years of initial foundation training, rotating through a variety of jobs, you then competitively apply for a specialty training program e.g. internal medicine, surgery, psychiatry etc.

You'll then complete the training programme over several years while taking postgraduate exams.

You can find a bit more information about postgraduate training in the UK here.
Original post by SwapB
Thanks for the advice!

In order to train as a surgeon in the UK, you'll need to enter the "foundation programme" (i.e. residency) - many internationals do it every year. You'll need to take extra exams, I believe. You should do a swift google search as there are many foreigners working in the UK, although I realise it is getting more competitive.

You don't specifically need to do a higher education degree to be a surgeon here - although it often makes your application more competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending