The Student Room Group

Nursing degree without maths?

Hi, I'm looking to apply for adult nursing next year however I only have a D in standard grade maths.

I've worked in the care sector for the past 9 years, support worker for 6 and in management for 3 years.

I have an HNC in social care (B award) and an svq level 3.... will this be enough or will I still need maths? Any info would be great. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mazdell
Hi, I'm looking to apply for adult nursing next year however I only have a D in standard grade maths.

I've worked in the care sector for the past 9 years, support worker for 6 and in management for 3 years.

I have an HNC in social care (B award) and an svq level 3.... will this be enough or will I still need maths? Any info would be great. Cheers.

You are going to need Maths and English GCSE. I checked 5 and that was the case. Its the same for most degrees.

Whether your HNC is enough depends and it may not be accepted everywhere, so check. It wont get you in everywhere.

Where mature students with experience are concerned, then they are most likely to make allowances and a direct informal approach can get you an idea of where you stand.
Original post by mazdell

As 999tigger said, GCSE maths grade C is needed for the nursing degree, some universities accept functional skills level 2 instead, however these are few and far between I believe.
Your experience is excellent however it's best to check with the universities directly to see if they still want you to have the GCSE maths at grade C and if your other qualifications meet the entry requirements.
Don't be put off it you need to do an access course (equivalent of a-levels) and/or your GCSE maths again to be able to apply though.
I hope this helps.
Reply 3
Thanks for the info folks. I attempted an int 2 maths course at college a few years ago but I was that bad I felt that even the lecturer gave up hope so I left a couple of months into it.

I'll email around to ask and pray that my experience will scrape me in, failing that it's back to the drawing board
Reply 4
I've also got two highers in English and art and design. I'll email around anyway and let yous know xx
Original post by mazdell
Thanks for the info folks. I attempted an int 2 maths course at college a few years ago but I was that bad I felt that even the lecturer gave up hope so I left a couple of months into it.

I'll email around to ask and pray that my experience will scrape me in, failing that it's back to the drawing board

You will need a maths qualification. Through your training you'll be expected to pass a number of numeracy assessments to show you can do drug calculations correctly.
Original post by mazdell

Please note that it's a Nursing and Midwifery Council requirement that every university sets a maths test as part of their interviews, and you must pass this test in order to get a place on the course. The pass mark is 70-80% depending on where you go.
Hi, do you have the name of the university which you applied to?
Yes I would also love me to know which uni was this please ?
Reply 9
May I ask what university accepted you?? I’m in the current situation. With a D to maths but don’t want to retake again after 5 times
Hey can I ask what uni you got accepted in to I’m currently in the same boat with a d in maths
Same I have a conditional offer but it didn’t require me to have a c grade gcse maths but a different uni did. I had a d grade in maths
Original post by Nabz96
Which university is this? I got a conditional offer but there is no condition that I need to pass maths or get a maths GCSE at C so I’m not sure if they made a mistake or something :/
Did you get accepted because I did too but with a conditional offer that doesn’t require me to re-take my maths I got accepted into Swansea Uni
Original post by Ashlea96
Hey can I ask what uni you got accepted in to I’m currently in the same boat with a d in maths
Original post by amirz_yx
Did you get accepted because I did too but with a conditional offer that doesn’t require me to re-take my maths I got accepted into Swansea Uni

Hi all and hi @amirz_yx !

I just wanted to jump into this discussion to clear up any potential misconceptions stemming from this thread. The maths requirement is important for the skills required to succeed on the course, so we would not have made an offer with no additional mathematics qualification given. For example, do you also have a Key Skills Level 2 in Application and Number? We may have accepted this as supplementation to your GCSE to make you that offer. Otherwise, can I presume you had something else in addition to that GCSE?

Jamie
I passed my Science and English and I did well on my Welsh Bacc
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries

I just wanted to jump into this discussion to clear up any potential misconceptions stemming from this thread. The maths requirement is important for the skills required to succeed on the course, so we would not have made an offer with no additional mathematics qualification given. For example, do you also have a Key Skills Level 2 in Application and Number? We may have accepted this as supplementation to your GCSE to make you that offer. Otherwise, can I presume you had something else in addition to that GCSE?

Jamie
I passed my Science and English and I did really well on my Welsh Bacc

Jamie
Original post by amirz_yx
I passed my Science and English and I did well on my Welsh Bacc

Thanks for clarifying! Without looking into your record it sounds to me like the numeracy components of the Welsh Bacc would have been used to supplement your GCSE grade.

Jamie
Hi I know you posted this two years ago but just wandered did you get into adult nursing with your D or did you need to get a C ? Many thanks
Reply 18
Thanks for clarifying! Without looking into your record it sounds to me like the numeracy components of the Welsh Bacc would have been used to supplement your GCSE grade.

Jamie

Hi,

If you currently have a D grade in Maths and would like to study Adult Nursing at Swansea University and have got a grade B within Welsh Bacc GCSE would this be accepted instead of the Maths GCSE?
Original post by J_M_01
Hi,

If you currently have a D grade in Maths and would like to study Adult Nursing at Swansea University and have got a grade B within Welsh Bacc GCSE would this be accepted instead of the Maths GCSE?

IT can be complicated. I would recommend that you email [email protected] for a comprehensive answer.

Latest

Trending

Trending