The Student Room Group

Prediction for H556/03 (OCR Physics A, Unified)

Unified/synoptic paper is next week and if anyone could predict the topics that'll come up based on the modelling and exploring papers, it'd be great.
Can't remember much about the other topics that came up but hoping someone can
Reply 1
Original post by PavB
Unified/synoptic paper is next week and if anyone could predict the topics that'll come up based on the modelling and exploring papers, it'd be great.
Can't remember much about the other topics that came up but hoping someone can

Nuclear and Stars already came up, Magnetic fields and Circular Motion came up in multiple choice, so who knows. Not looking forward to it though, I don't know how to prepare for it, I guess just more past papers and questions from other sources such as Issac Physics.
I can predict with certainty there will be a big questions on momentum / moments / newton's laws. If you look back to the modelling paper we did there was very very little of it.
I would guess there would be some electricity and probably some electric fields / magnetic fields thrown in as well.
Other than that, SHM is always a sure bet to make an appearance, as again it didn't feature much in modelling, as well as gravitational fields which didn't play a massive part in modelling.
Also, I'd guess there will be a big medical physics question as there was hardly any of that on exploring.
Reply 3
Original post by james0902
I can predict with certainty there will be a big questions on momentum / moments / newton's laws. If you look back to the modelling paper we did there was very very little of it.
I would guess there would be some electricity and probably some electric fields / magnetic fields thrown in as well.
Other than that, SHM is always a sure bet to make an appearance, as again it didn't feature much in modelling, as well as gravitational fields which didn't play a massive part in modelling.
Also, I'd guess there will be a big medical physics question as there was hardly any of that on exploring.

I think the 6 markers will be to describe phenomena, not experiments, and hoping for lot of 2 mark maths based questions as the last two have felt like English exams
If you guys want questions to practise with, I found that OCR used to have a paper called Unifying Concepts! The last one was in 2007 but they are very similar to the practice/specimen papers. Worth checking out.

http://www.physicsinfo.co.uk/?page=list&cat=30
Reply 5
Anyone else finding the Unified specimen papers ridiculously hard? Even more so than Modelling or Exploring?
Reply 6
Original post by CCH9109
Anyone else finding the Unified specimen papers ridiculously hard? Even more so than Modelling or Exploring?

Don't be discouraged by this because the unified paper is meant to be hard..also the specimen papers are harder than the practice papers and real exams..
Reply 7
Original post by CCH9109

they are insanely hard some of the questions use equations which are not in the formula booklet and you have to derive yourselves. the mark schemes as well for the 6 mark questions are a bit strange. i have no clue what to expect.
Original post by CCH9109

I think that's deliberate, and why its a shorter paper. Having said that, I found the actual Modelling and Exploring papers ever so slightly harder than the specimen papers, so hopefully the Unified might be easier?
does anyone have any idea what the grade boundaries would look like for set 1 paper 3 ?
Reply 10
Original post by Frankel247
does anyone have any idea what the grade boundaries would look like for set 1 paper 3 ?

Where can I find the set 1 and set 2 papers?
Original post by Gwion
Where can I find the set 1 and set 2 papers?

https://padlet.com/jcrossland/year13
Reply 12
i don't think springs and materials came up either, though I have a bad memory so it may have
i doubt there will be a big question on medical since there was a big section in the exploring right at the end
Yeah just be ready for lots of maths questions that use combinations of equations. They love getting circular motion and springs into every question they can
Reply 15
Maybe chief, but we all sat this paper almost 2 years ago

Quick Reply

Latest