The Student Room Group

Turning points question

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74083BD-SQP.PDF
Here is the link to the paper, i'm specifically referring to 1.4 however. The mark scheme says that it supports Millikan because it shows n number of electron charge... i understand that but it also says that the students smallest quantum of charge seems to be 3.2 x 10^-19. Why is this the answer? How do they know this?
Thanks for any help!
It's saying that it doesn't follow millikan's conclusion, because the lowest common multiple is 3.2 rather than 1.6, so basically it only slightly followed millikan's conclusion.

All the charges are multiples of 1.6 but the results can't prob that the lowest possible charge is 1.6
Reply 2
ohhhh i see thank you!
Original post by tasha1898
ohhhh i see thank you!

It's a messed up question

But you just gotta be open to interpret anything AQA give you lol

I would have never thought of the 3.2 thing but yeah you can't conclude the lowest quanta of charge is 1.6 x 10^-19, so it's not fully accurate (although it pretty much is rofl)
Reply 4
Original post by Teenage Hype
It's a messed up question

But you just gotta be open to interpret anything AQA give you lol

I would have never thought of the 3.2 thing but yeah you can't conclude the lowest quanta of charge is 1.6 x 10^-19, so it's not fully accurate (although it pretty much is rofl)

yeah it's definitely an unusual question i just need to use some logic which i can never do in exams haha
yeah it's definitely an unusual question i just need to use some logic which i can never do in exams haha

Sorry for using you but how would you do this question?

A scientist conducts an experiment similar to Bertozzi’s experiment and reports that when the electron speed is 2.93 x 10^-8 m/s, the kinetic energy is 2.4 MeV. Determine whether these data are consistent with the result expected using the theory of special relativity.
Reply 6
Original post by Teenage Hype
Sorry for using you but how would you do this question?

A scientist conducts an experiment similar to Bertozzi’s experiment and reports that when the electron speed is 2.93 x 10^-8 m/s, the kinetic energy is 2.4 MeV. Determine whether these data are consistent with the result expected using the theory of special relativity.

i literally just found out about that guy like two days ago because our teacher gave us an old spec book and this wasn't in it but i think you compare the actual kinetic energy with the predicted kinetic energy (there should be a formula on an updated formula sheet) because the predicted kinetic energy is based on the special relativity theory
i literally just found out about that guy like two days ago because our teacher gave us an old spec book and this wasn't in it but i think you compare the actual kinetic energy with the predicted kinetic energy (there should be a formula on an updated formula sheet) because the predicted kinetic energy is based on the special relativity theory

Wtf yeah the mark scheme is ****ed lol

tahanks tasha

Quick Reply

Latest