The Student Room Group

Black Lives Matter protest in Berlin

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
[video="youtube;lA1GqIU0WmA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1GqIU0WmA[/video]

Oh ffs. If they're anything like their violent racist American counterparts....
Reply 2
Bunch of crybabies. Imagine whites in SA doing this.
Reply 3
This BLM stuff is absolute bullsh*t and ironically racist; shouldn't all lives matter?
Probably less violent, but more racist, even in western Germany.

I genuinely don't see the need for these kinds of protests. In Western Europe there is more equality between races, genders and sexualities than anywhere else in the world, equality is enshrined within law, and any individual cases should be reported to the police as they are criminal offences. Theft is also illegal, doesn't mean it never happens, but the solution is to report it to the police, not to wine and protest for something that short of changing equality laws to make ethnic minorities superior within the eyes of the law through positive discrimination (which is an absolutely abhorrent idea) there is nothing more that can be done, and frankly causing all that ruckus is only going to damage their reputation and fuel the any hatred and resentment there might be.

In the words of Morgan Freeman "If you want to stop racism, stop talking about race"
Original post by Ash8991
This BLM stuff is absolute bullsh*t and ironically racist; shouldn't all lives matter?

I agree but their response would be "its black lives matter TOO!"
Reply 6
That doesn't work. The vast majority of racism is subtle and often even unintentional. You need to point it out to people before it gets addressed, because people (mostly white people) will assume it doesn't exist; that they couldn't possibly be racist, because 'only Nazis are racist, and I'm no Nazi'.

Everyone is racist get over it.
It means Black lives matter AS WELL as other lives. It doesn't mean ONLY Black lives matter.

ikr jesus christ anyone who doesn't understand that by now is genuinely lost fml
Why? What for? I see no reason why these loons need to protest against anything.
That doesn't work. The vast majority of racism is subtle and often even unintentional. You need to point it out to people before it gets addressed, because people (mostly white people) will assume it doesn't exist; that they couldn't possibly be racist, because 'only Nazis are racist, and I'm no Nazi'.

No, I think that pointing it out all the time breeds identity politics which is what puts people into little groups competing against each other for who deserves the most sympathy for their oppression and societal discrimination.

I think the only way to stop racism is to stop viewing other people as being part of different groups, start thinking of the human race, not the black, white asian races etc.
Reply 10
Wait is this still going on??? thought that died with 2016!!
Lets just ignore racism and hope it goes away, right?

Fact is that racism is hardwired into humans - studies have shown that there is racist behaviour that isn't learnt - and so you do have to actively work to counter it, because the natural state is not free of racism.

I don't contest that prejudice is hardwired into humans, but I think thats is more a fear of the unknown rather than a hardwired racism, which informs my position that the only way to end racism is to stop making the distinction, and to better integrate people with each other.
Toddlers in even the most diverse schools exhibit racism; they have to be actively taught racism is wrong.

The distinction is always there - pretending that they cannot see race is a harmful and cowardly lie people tell themselves to avoid self-reflection; only a legitimately blind and deaf person could reasonably claim this.

I also don't think racism is necessarily a problem. It is the expression of racism through violence or hate speech that is the issue. This is much more a matter of politeness and common decency than anything else.

Generally speaking, people avoid being intentionally malicious when unprovoked and keep their prejudices to themselves.
Well, at least you are honest.

What do you mean by that? Thoughts themselves don't cause harm, and any attempts to police thoughts is, by definition, Orwellian.
It means Black lives matter AS WELL as other lives. It doesn't mean ONLY Black lives matter.

Well, with how things are going right now, and how supposedly "All White people are racist", it would seem that only Black lives matter to them. But if they actually had the slogan "Black lives matter too", I wouldn't be so critical of them.
The more bizarre, obnoxious protests the better. It's the behavior of a movement trying to cling on to cultural relevancy as the general public gradually turns against them. Their antics unwittingly accelerates this process.

They also keep showing up to Pride parades (which have nothing to do with them) and try to force their agenda into them. Naturally, journalists are obligated to portray them as nothing but righteous social warriors standing up against oppression, whereas the average bystander wishes they'd just screw off. Their movement is hardly even relevant here in Canada, but that doesn't stop them from barging into everything
Reply 16
Original post by Ash8991

I do think it's a shame they don't realise other people share their difficulties, but I Think the name was more like a "hello, we matter too" rather than "black lives should matter than yours"
Original post by Ash8991
Well, with how things are going right now, and how supposedly "All White people are racist", it would seem that only Black lives matter to them. But if they actually had the slogan "Black lives matter too", I wouldn't be so critical of them.

lol I love it when simple minded people pretend they don't know what blm means; hilarious.
Their lives don't matter at all lol.
Original post by loveleest
lol I love it when simple minded people pretend they don't know what blm means; hilarious.

I know that fundamentally, it means "Black lives matter too" but from what I've seen on youtube, BLM activists use it as an excuse to hit back at White people....for something their ancestors may or may not have done a couple of centuries ago. So yes I do know what it means, both fundamentally and in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending