The Student Room Group

I think I'm addicted to Coke/Pepsi...

I don't know, I think I drink far too much of it and I know it's bad for you but I just can't resist it sometimes :pepsi: is there anyone else that feels like that or is it just me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I drank 3 cans a day for the past 5 years then stopped completely 3 months ago.
Well you are not the only one :smile:
Reply 3
drink the diet version

can't understand why anyone drinks the normal ones tbh, 35g sugar and 200 calories per can for a slightly different taste
Original post by JMR2017
Well you are not the only one :smile:

Oh, good. I thought there was seriousness something wrong with me.
coke>pepsi :u:
Reply 6
Good thing you put the "/Pepsi" in there, thread would have gone awkward fast...
Reply 7
Original post by difeo
drink the diet version

can't understand why anyone drinks the normal ones tbh, 35g sugar and 200 calories per can for a slightly different taste

The sweeteners in the diet ones are also really bad for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to drink 4 cans a day of Coke Zero. Packed it in cause my chest used to hurt constantly and I got migraines very regularly, which I dunno if these were from the caffeine or the artificial sweeteners.

Original post by difeo
drink the diet version

Aspartame (the sweetener is the calorie free version) is supposedly mightily unhealthy. Fine if you only drink it occasionally though.
Original post by ClearSky
I don't know, I think I drink far too much of it and I know it's bad for you but I just can't resist it sometimes :pepsi: is there anyone else that feels like that or is it just me?

First I was addicted sort of to Dr Pepper. I used to have as much as possible. Now I have one bottle a week. (2 litres.) Now this may seem like much but a glass is about 250 ml or so. So I would have like 8 glasses a week which is about 1 a day. Now I am starting to drink less of it by adding more water. By doing this I am replacing it with another liquid. Ice cold water I feel is real good. Also I have switched the diet dr pepper. Once I had the normal one and i felt real full because of the sugar content and I am not having another again for ages.

My suggestion is to go to diet as most of it is water, then slowly replace it with ice cold water preferably. This is if you want to stop.
Reply 10
Original post by _Orion_
The sweeteners in the diet ones are also really bad for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by WoodyMKC
I used to drink 4 cans a day of Coke Zero. Packed it in cause my chest used to hurt constantly and I got migraines very regularly, which I dunno if these were from the caffeine or the artificial sweeteners.

Aspartame (the sweetener is the calorie free version) is supposedly mightily unhealthy. Fine if you only drink it occasionally though.

Aspartame has been studied endlessly and found to be fine for you
Original post by difeo
Aspartame has been studied endlessly and found to be fine for you

Pubmed isn't loading for me right now, but if it was, I could show you several studies that suggest otherwise :wink:
Reply 12
Pubmed isn't loading for me right now, but if it was, I could show you several studies that suggest otherwise :wink:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

"Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener."

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

"In 2013 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) conducted a comprehensive review of the evidence (PDF, 2.25Mb) and concluded that aspartame was safe for human consumption, including pregnant women and children."

:cool:
Original post by difeo
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

"Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener."

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

"In 2013 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) conducted a comprehensive review of the evidence (PDF, 2.25Mb) and concluded that aspartame was safe for human consumption, including pregnant women and children."

:cool:

There's a huge difference in "safe" and "healthy". "Safe" simply means, it's generally not something that can cause health issues with short-term use in most cases. Sugar is considered safe. Trans fats are considered safe. Bloody hell, alcohol and cigarettes have been deemed safe for human consumption. Doesn't mean there will be no detriment to ones health if these are consumed too much too often - they're deemed to be some of the leading causes of disease and health problems in the western world.
Reply 14
There's a huge difference in "safe" and "healthy". "Safe" simply means, it's generally not something that can cause health issues with short-term use in most cases. Sugar is considered safe. Trans fats are considered safe. Bloody hell, alcohol and cigarettes have been deemed safe for human consumption. Doesn't mean there will be no detriment to ones health if these are consumed too much too often - they're deemed to be some of the leading causes of disease and health problems in the western world.

Indeed. The difference is that all those have been found to have negative effects on health, whereas Aspartame has been extensively studied and no health problems proven.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Indeed. The difference is that all those have been found to have negative effects on health, whereas Aspartame has been extensively studied and no health problems proven.

Aspartame has been around for a very short period of time compared to all of these. Smoking cigarettes was believed to actually be good for you at one point in history :rofl: Just can't help but imagine that something with so many user-reported side effects coming up is only going to be shown to be unhealthy somewhere down the line.
Original post by Pirko
I drank 3 cans a day for the past 5 years then stopped completely 3 months ago.

damn
Reply 17
Aspartame has been around for a very short period of time compared to all of these. Smoking cigarettes was believed to actually be good for you at one point in history :rofl: Just can't help but imagine that something with so many user-reported side effects coming up is only going to be shown to be unhealthy somewhere down the line.

Science is a lot better these days tbf, but yeah it's not harmless beyond any doubt, just probably. RIP me if it is bad for you.
Original post by monkeyman0121
First I was addicted sort of to Dr Pepper. I used to have as much as possible. Now I have one bottle a week. (2 litres.) Now this may seem like much but a glass is about 250 ml or so. So I would have like 8 glasses a week which is about 1 a day. Now I am starting to drink less of it by adding more water. By doing this I am replacing it with another liquid. Ice cold water I feel is real good. Also I have switched the diet dr pepper. Once I had the normal one and i felt real full because of the sugar content and I am not having another again for ages.

My suggestion is to go to diet as most of it is water, then slowly replace it with ice cold water preferably. This is if you want to stop.

Okay, thanks! I will try it hopefully!
Original post by UWS
Good thing you put the "/Pepsi" in there, thread would have gone awkward fast...

Very funny. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest