The Student Room Group

Not sure if I could be acceptable T-T

I'm a South Korean student scheduled to graduate this July. I studied Human Biology in the Philippines and I hope to study medicine in UK. I've researched for some courses and found that there are universities that offer medicine course with a graduate entry such as A109 in Imperial College London. But I'm not sure if I meet the minimum academic entry requirements.
If ever I have a lower GPA than required, will I be unable to apply for the MBBS course? Or would my BMAT scores could cover it if they're high enough?
If good scores in BMAT wouldn't compensate that, can international students who have biology-related degrees be accepted as a candidate for standard medicine course without any A levels or GCSE?? Or is there no hope for me to study medicine in UK?
Please help~
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hrejyk
I'm a South Korean student scheduled to graduate this July. I studied Human Biology in the Philippines and I hope to study medicine in UK. I've researched for some courses and found that there are universities that offer medicine course with a graduate entry such as A109 in Imperial College London. But I'm not sure if I meet the minimum academic entry requirements.
If ever I have a lower GPA than required, will I be unable to apply for the MBBS course? Or would my BMAT scores could cover it if they're high enough?
If good scores in BMAT wouldn't compensate that, can international students who have biology-related degrees be accepted as a candidate for standard medicine course??
Please help~

Just a friendly note - TT isn't a good acronym to use on TSR.
For the standard A100 courses, med schools aren't flexible with minimum entry requirements and a good admissions test score wouldn't make any difference to that. I don't know if this is any different for grad entry - I hope someone else can answer that for you. You should email Imperial and any other unis you're looking at in order to find out what they think about your qualifications.

The graduate entry course is shorter and less expensive, but as a graduate you can also apply for the standard A100 course. I think in this situation they would mostly care about your uni degree and maybe also look at your A level equivalent qualifications. But again, do by all means contact the unis to find out their policies. :smile:
Original post by StationToStation
For the standard A100 courses, med schools aren't flexible with minimum entry requirements and a good admissions test score wouldn't make any difference to that. I don't know if this is any different for grad entry - I hope someone else can answer that for you. You should email Imperial and any other unis you're looking at in order to find out what they think about your qualifications.

The graduate entry course is shorter and less expensive, but as a graduate you can also apply for the standard A100 course. I think in this situation they would mostly care about your uni degree and maybe also look at your A level equivalent qualifications. But again, do by all means contact the unis to find out their policies. :smile:

My apologies if this is off topic but I was wondering if you could be kind enough to answer this question. You said a graduates can also apply to the standard medicine course. When you apply, would universities consider your degree mark only or would they consider you like normal college leaver i.e GCSE and A-levels? Can you apply to the standard using and get in using your degree mark (and entrance exam) if your GCSE's and A-levels are not good?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mr Optimist
My apologies if this is off topic but I was wondering if you could be kind enough to answer this question. You said a graduates can also apply to the standard medicine course. When you apply, would universities consider your degree mark only or would they consider you like normal college leaver i.e GCSE and A-levels? Can you apply to the standard using and get in using your degree mark (and entrance exam) if your GCSE's and A-levels are not good?

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about this as I applied as a school leaver - what I said was based on stuff I had read on tsr.

This is what it says on the Oxford website:

"Applicants with an Honours degree, and appropriate A-levels (see the academic entry requirements) are welcome to apply, but should ensure that they provide details of their school examinations results, as well as actual or predicted grades for their university degree course(s) on the UCAS application.
Graduate applicants should note that the award (or prediction) of a first class or high second class degree is likely to be a relevant pre-requisite to a demonstration that they are suitable for the academic demands of the course.
Please note that our standard academic requirements and selection processes apply for all applicants and that a good first Honours degree cannot compensate for relatively poor results in A-levels or equivalent qualifications or qualifications in subjects not directly relevant to our course."

This is what is says on the King's website:

"Graduate applicants to A100 do not normally have to satisfy the usual A/AS-Level or other entry requirements (eg you are not expected to have AAA at A-level at the first attempt). The minimum entry requirement is a grade B at A-Level Chemistry and Biology plus an upper second class honours degree (a lower second class honours degree is acceptable combined with a master’s degree with at least a merit). Graduates who have a sufficient quantity of Biology or Chemistry as part of their degree may not need the A-Level in this subject."

So I believe it would vary between universities, and I imagine that most would at least look at your A levels but they wouldn't be as big a factor as for school leavers. If you want to find out the policies of other unis, googling "a100 graduate (name of uni)" seems to be useful. :smile:
Unfortunately I know next to nothing about this as I applied as a school leaver - what I said was based on stuff I had read on tsr.

This is what it says on the Oxford website:

"Applicants with an Honours degree, and appropriate A-levels (see the academic entry requirements) are welcome to apply, but should ensure that they provide details of their school examinations results, as well as actual or predicted grades for their university degree course(s) on the UCAS application.
Graduate applicants should note that the award (or prediction) of a first class or high second class degree is likely to be a relevant pre-requisite to a demonstration that they are suitable for the academic demands of the course.
Please note that our standard academic requirements and selection processes apply for all applicants and that a good first Honours degree cannot compensate for relatively poor results in A-levels or equivalent qualifications or qualifications in subjects not directly relevant to our course."

This is what is says on the King's website:

"Graduate applicants to A100 do not normally have to satisfy the usual A/AS-Level or other entry requirements (eg you are not expected to have AAA at A-level at the first attempt). The minimum entry requirement is a grade B at A-Level Chemistry and Biology plus an upper second class honours degree (a lower second class honours degree is acceptable combined with a master’s degree with at least a merit). Graduates who have a sufficient quantity of Biology or Chemistry as part of their degree may not need the A-Level in this subject."

So I believe it would vary between universities, and I imagine that most would at least look at your A levels but they wouldn't be as big a factor as for school leavers. If you want to find out the policies of other unis, googling "a100 graduate (name of uni)" seems to be useful. :smile:

Thank you for your reply. Sadly my A-levels are quite bad (B in chem, C in mathematics and D in physics) due to a serious situation I had going on. I applied to pharmacy using an access to pharmacy, dentistry and medical science course which I have distinctions in all modules. I have a high 2.1 (69%) in my masters of pharmacy degree. It would therefore seem I am probably limited to applying to some GEM courses only.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Thank you for your reply. Sadly my A-levels are quite bad (B in chem, C in mathematics and D in physics) due to a serious situation I had going on. I applied to pharmacy using an access to pharmacy, dentistry and medical science course which I have distinctions in all modules. I have a high 2.1 (69%) in my masters of pharmacy degree. It would therefore seem I am probably limited to applying to some GEM courses only.

Oh ok... It does sound like that then yeah. Best of luck with your application, you are clearly very hardworking and motivated since you've gotten this far. :smile:
Oh ok... It does sound like that then yeah. Best of luck with your application, you are clearly very hardworking and motivated since you've gotten this far. :smile:

Thank you :smile: I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending