The Student Room Group

What are the best learning materials for GAMSAT preparation?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take the GAMSAT exam in September, and wondered what materials people would for an individual like myself, with no science background.

I've already purchased the Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 for Dummies books, along with the workbook for book 1, and the ACER GAMSAT official exam papers.

Also, if anyone has any material that they'd like to sell to me, I'd be interested in that, too.

Any advice would be much-appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

Sat the GAMSAT myself in September 2016, but I have a science background.

The best advice I can offer for starting the GAMSAT, as I was in your position not so long ago, is to purchase Griffiths GAMSAT review (if you're willing to part with the cash). It's only about £30 from what I can remember, and isn't in-depth for revision material at all, but sets the scene really well, definitely helped me get started - it also gives a really succinct revision topics list for section 3! Also, It's methods for how approach section 2 seemed to have helped me score well (ish) in that section.

I used A-level chemistry, biology and physics books, alongside Khan Academy for organic chemistry, to understand the concepts behind some of the stuff I hadn't covered since A-levels; you'll probably have to go over these in more detail since you have don't have a science background.

With the ACER papers, although it may feel completely wrong (as normally for exams, you do the revision, then the practice papers afterwards), I'd recommend doing one of the half-papers to get a feel for the exam, but also your weaknesses.

Solutions for the ACER practice papers (section 3, not any of the other sections) are thankfully on Youtube by GoldStandard for free. These made up a huge part of my section 3 revision.

Also, if you can get your hands on some Des O'Neill GAMSAT papers (they've been discontinued, but you may be lucky and find some PDFs online), they're the only material I'd recommend other than the official Acer ones for a plethora of questions. This exam really is all about practising rather than revising, which took me a while to get to grips with.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.. :s-smilie: Hope this helps!
That's great mate. thank you.

Regarding the A level books, which ones did you use? I've bought the Organic Chemistry for Dummies books, and am about to get the straight Chemistry, Biology, and Physics Dummies books, but am not sure whether these are the best ones to get.

I'll have a look for the Griffiths Review now!

Original post by Zak1995
Hey,

Sat the GAMSAT myself in September 2016, but I have a science background.

The best advice I can offer for starting the GAMSAT, as I was in your position not so long ago, is to purchase Griffiths GAMSAT review (if you're willing to part with the cash). It's only about £30 from what I can remember, and isn't in-depth for revision material at all, but sets the scene really well, definitely helped me get started - it also gives a really succinct revision topics list for section 3! Also, It's methods for how approach section 2 seemed to have helped me score well (ish) in that section.

I used A-level chemistry, biology and physics books, alongside Khan Academy for organic chemistry, to understand the concepts behind some of the stuff I hadn't covered since A-levels; you'll probably have to go over these in more detail since you have don't have a science background.

With the ACER papers, although it may feel completely wrong (as normally for exams, you do the revision, then the practice papers afterwards), I'd recommend doing one of the half-papers to get a feel for the exam, but also your weaknesses.

Solutions for the ACER practice papers (section 3, not any of the other sections) are thankfully on Youtube by GoldStandard for free. These made up a huge part of my section 3 revision.

Also, if you can get your hands on some Des O'Neill GAMSAT papers (they've been discontinued, but you may be lucky and find some PDFs online), they're the only material I'd recommend other than the official Acer ones for a plethora of questions. This exam really is all about practising rather than revising, which took me a while to get to grips with.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.. :s-smilie: Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Christiandransfiel
That's great mate. thank you.

Regarding the A level books, which ones did you use? I've bought the Organic Chemistry for Dummies books, and am about to get the straight Chemistry, Biology, and Physics Dummies books, but am not sure whether these are the best ones to get.

I'll have a look for the Griffiths Review now!

I brought the "Letts AS and A2" books for each of the subject, can get them second hand on Amazon!

Also, I forgot to mention, I've seen some people from non-science backgrounds that said the "GAMSAT Gold Standard" book helped them, as it contained everything they "need" to know for section 3 (all the science). However, it's expensive, and I've heard mixed reviews about it, so, I'm merely mentioning it - it seems like it tries to teach you the GAMSAT, which doesn't work!
I'd just go with the Dummies books which are really good in my opinion. Also using the Khan academy which are OK here and there.

A friend gave me the Gold Standard, Dog Turd that it is. Don't touch it in my opinion as you just end up buying stuff to read what you are meant to know anyway. And £100+ quid!!!!

Also get the Des stuff in PDF if you can
Is anyone selling any other books,in particular Physics
Reply 6
Hi,

I am selling the following GAMSAT prep material I used for the GAMSAT :

Organic chemistry for dummies
Organic chemistry 1 workbook for dummies
Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT
The Gold Standard Gamsat 2nd Edition Dr Brett Ferdinand
Examcrackers 2nd edition MCAT 101 passages in MCAT
Physics 1 for dummies
Letts Revise AS and A2 Chemistry and physics
Gradmed Gamsat bio, chem and physics, written communication and stimulated questions course notes
Des o neills Gamsat preparation course
Ozimed gamsat practice tests
The meaning of things applying philosophy to life
MEDIRED Gamsat preparation study guide book 1 and 2 the 3rd edition

For individual prices pm me also willing to sell the lot for around £250. I am based in Nottingham but if not in area happy to post.

Thanks

Sarah
What's your opinion on the gold standard book? A friend has offered it to me for £75, do you think it's worth it? I have a science background so I'm not to worried about section 3 but I think I need the most help with section 1 & 2.

Any other resources helpful for section 1&2?
Reply 8
Hi sjnoon, which GMSAT books do you still have left please

Thanks,
Amina
A past student kindly gave me GAMSAT course materials for free, but have not looked at any of it. The medical schools do not endorse any GAMSAT courses. Has anybody attended a GAMSAT course? If so, what are you're views, did it help you enormously or did you still achieve an average score?
Are these still available please Sarah?
Original post by sjnoone
Hi,

Physics 1 for dummies
Gradmed Gamsat bio, chem and physics, written communication and stimulated questions course notes

For individual prices pm me also willing to sell the lot for around £250. I am based in Nottingham but if not in area happy to post.

Thanks

Sarah

Are these still available Sarah?
Reply 12
Hey

I have the MediRed 6th edition and The Guru Method books available as well as Prep Genie exam papers if you're interested. I got a 62 and above 50 in all the sections last year and got a place this year.

Thanks,

Gabriela
Reply 13
Do you still have them Gabriela? How long do you think you need to revise?
Reply 14
Original post by gstar888
Hey

I have the MediRed 6th edition and The Guru Method books available as well as Prep Genie exam papers if you're interested. I got a 62 and above 50 in all the sections last year and got a place this year.

Thanks,

Gabriela

Do you still have these for sale?
Original post by sjnoone
Hi,

Physics 1 for dummies

Thanks

Sarah

I am interested in Letts AS and A2 chem and physics, Des o Neills Prep course, MEDIRED 1 and 2
Possibly also Gold Standard.
How much for the bundle of the first books and how much for the bundle including Gold standard?
I would also require 1st class postage within the UK but this is less than £10 so you don't have to include that in the estimate as im happy to pay more than enough to cover postage.
Thanks!
Rebecca
Reply 16
Guys I'm feeling totally lost and overwhelmed with where to start revision wise for this?? Another question, have all of you finished your ucas applications already before this exam?? Someone help please :frown:
Reply 17
Selling the following;

Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT chemistry
-Examcrackers 101 passages in MCAT
- A.C. Grayling The meaning of things - Applying philosophy to life
-Letts Revise As and A2 complete study and revision guide physics
-Physics for dummies
- Practice papers If you are interested I'm willing to sell the lot for 20 quid plus whatever postage costs.
-Organic chemistry for dummies 1
-Organic chemistry 1 workbook for dummies.

Willing to sell the lot for 25 quid plus whatever postage costs

Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by avajane
Guys I'm feeling totally lost and overwhelmed with where to start revision wise for this?? Another question, have all of you finished your ucas applications already before this exam?? Someone help please :frown:

I'm feeling exactly the same! is there a way of logically approaching the learning? should i be looking for a tutor if i am coming from a non science background?
Reply 19
Original post by SS!123
I'm feeling exactly the same! is there a way of logically approaching the learning? should i be looking for a tutor if i am coming from a non science background?

I wish I knew! I have a science background and still clueless where to start 😫

Latest

Trending

Trending